Author Topic: chicago and tiles  (Read 2267 times)

Offline rig9919

chicago and tiles
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:13:54 PM »
Is there any point of using a pizza stone/tiles for cooking a deep dish pizza? I had a tile, but it broke and I'm wondering if I need to go out and get another for a chicago style pizza.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
Re: chicago and tiles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:19:14 PM »
Is there any point of using a pizza stone/tiles for cooking a deep dish pizza? I had a tile, but it broke and I'm wondering if I need to go out and get another for a chicago style pizza.

I don't use mine for the deepdish pizzas at all. I just use mine to make my thin crust pizzas.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
I will concur...if you've got good pans, you don't need any tiles for a deep dish pizza.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:13:12 PM »
I thought loo used a stone for his chicago..  I usually just put it on top, but I don't know if it helps at all.  I guess it couldn't hurt. 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
If you have not tried the open bottom springform pan (baking ring) method (picture at left), then you might want to give it a try.  It makes for a super deep dish pizza with a very crunchy crust, without any added oil or fat.  Does require a stone though.

:chef: Pizza Meister

Check it out here:
http://www.superpeel.com/vids/Deep%20Dish%20%20-%20Text%20-%20Final.wmv
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »
I thought loo used a stone for his chicago..  I usually just put it on top, but I don't know if it helps at all.  I guess it couldn't hurt. 

- aba

I used one when I had lighter colored pans but now find that it doesn't matter much with darker pans or well seasoned pans.  When I made my Gino's crust in a new aluminum pan only to have mass of uncooked dough underneath, I realized that contact with the pan would cook it through but all I could come up with was the reflective properties of the pan (without the stone) didn't allow it to cook through.  I've since purchased an extra hardcoat anodized pan in black that does the job without use of the stone.  It does eliminate that long preheating of the stone.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:57:53 AM »
I used one when I had lighter colored pans but now find that it doesn't matter much with darker pans or well seasoned pans.  When I made my Gino's crust in a new aluminum pan only to have mass of uncooked dough underneath, I realized that contact with the pan would cook it through but all I could come up with was the reflective properties of the pan (without the stone) didn't allow it to cook through.  I've since purchased an extra hardcoat anodized pan in black that does the job without use of the stone.  It does eliminate that long preheating of the stone.

Loo

Nice, there you go - I think that answers the original question perfectly.  Loo knows what he's talking about when it comes to deep dish.  If you haven't tried his recipe I *highly* recommend it.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4070.0.html

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline rig9919

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
I'd love to try his recipe. I've read it's one of the best. Unfortunately, I can't understand it because I have no idea what thickness factor means or the percents. If I can figure out what all that mumbo jumbo means I will have to move it to the top of my "pizzas to make next" list above the Papa Del's recipe (that thing looks delicious)

That's why I am using Deven's Chicago Style Deep Dish recipe from the recipe page to make tonight's pizza. It is a very step by step dummies guide to making a great pizza. Perfect for me  :-D

Man, I hope I don't screw this up and end up wasting all the ingredients I bought. Wish me luck!

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »
I'd love to try his recipe. I've read it's one of the best. Unfortunately, I can't understand it because I have no idea what thickness factor means or the percents. If I can figure out what all that mumbo jumbo means I will have to move it to the top of my "pizzas to make next" list ...

Volume measurement recipe posted here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5402.0.html
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

pizzapan