Author Topic: Art Bell's Pizza Punch  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Art Bell's Pizza Punch
« on: June 01, 2007, 06:39:41 AM »
If you ever listen to late night AM radio, You know he is. :)

For years he has talked about this stuff had while on vacation in France, "Pizza punch".

Now he is selling the stuff online. Has anyone here ever heard of the stuff? Or better yet tried it? I am thinking about buying some,,, But I am still 'on the fence'.

http://www.artbellspizzapunch.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=28
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:41:32 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Art Bell's Pizza Punch
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 10:07:11 AM »
Trin,

I happened to be listening to Art Bell's Coast to Coast show the night he announced the introduction of Pizza Punch. I waited a while before ordering to allow their people to get their systems in place. Apparently they were deluged with orders, which came as no surprise since Bell is an immensely popular radio show celebrity whose Coast to Coast program is the most popular after-midnight radio show in the country. I placed my order (online) on April 22 and am still awaiting arrival. I have been told via emails that they have streamlined their systems and hired more people to handle orders and that my order should be shipped within a week or so. So, those who are interested in the product can expect delays in shipment.

Once my order arrives, I should be able to comment on Pizza Punch.

As you may know, and as noted at the Pizza Punch website, part of the proceeds from the sale of Pizza Punch will go to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, in the name of his wife Ramona, who died in Jan. 2006 of an acute asthma attack in her 40s. Art Bell has since remarried, and he and his wife are expecting a child soon. 

Peter

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 10:35:35 AM »
 ::)

That's it. If you ordered some,,, I will as well! ;D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Mr_You

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »

Yeah I'm a big fan of Coast To Coast too.

I've been planning on ordering some, but it sounds like I'll wait a little longer to let them get caught up.

I'm mainly wondering if it compliments certain toppings or is more of a standalone topping in itself.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »
I know a guy on Rigel 7 who told me his cousin runs a service station on Mars.  Apparently, he changes the propulsion fluids on various space craft and oddly enough, it's non-toxic to humans and with a little paprika, quite tasty.  So the way I hear it a little bartering of some positive alien spin and a truckload of Baygen FreePlay radios...  Well, the rest is history.  That is unless you subscribe to that whole time warp-wormhole thing.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:40:08 PM »
The three small bottles of Art Bell Pizza Punch (ABPP) that I ordered last month finally arrived a few days ago.

I was hoping that the label would identify in some detail the contents of the ABPP, especially the ingredients used to infuse the oil. Unfortunately, all that the label says in the way of ingredients is "Santa Barbara Olive Company Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Spices." However, I have been testing the ABPP over the past few days. My first few uses was on reheated cracker crust pizza slices on which I had also placed fresh oregano and basil leaves from my garden. I could detect garlic quite prominently (although no garlic cloves are in the bottle), as well as "heat", quite possibly from dry red pepper flakes and/or cayenne. There are also several herbs in the ABPP, although I have not yet been able to pinpoint specific herbs.

Today, I also used the ABPP to brush a pizza skin before putting down the sauce, cheese and topping (pepperoni). This time, the garlic aroma was not as pronounced on the finished pizza, and the heat was not as intense, but I could still taste the garlic.

The bottom line for me is that I like the ABPP, and plan to use it fairly regularly on my pizzas, either freshly baked ones or reheated slices. I am more likely to put the ABPP on freshly baked pizzas after baking rather than before, although when I added the ABPP before baking I liked the way that the ABPP combined with the other flavors in the pizza to provide added complexity but in a subtle way. By that, I mean that you can tell that there is something different and enjoyable about the taste but can't quite put your finger on what it is. At least that was my reaction.

One of the nice features of the ABPP is that it comes with a plastic dispenser at the top of the neck of the bottle that allows you to shake only a few drops at a time. So, there should be no fear of accidentally pouring a good part of the bottle on whatever you are flavoring with the ABPP. I haven't thought through all of the possible uses of the ABPP, but I suspect they will emerge over time.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:22:03 AM »
This sounds exactly like the stuff Pizzeria Regina in Boston has been setting out on their tables for almost a decade.  Amazing stuff that I now make at home for a drizzle on my own pies.  I really love to dip my crust in it.

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:40:37 AM »
Care to share the recipe scott?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:57:55 AM »
it's so easy it's stupid.  Just set some oil out with smashed (lightly) garlic cloves, pepper flakes, some parm/romano, salt, sugar and oregano or basil.  The garlic and the pepper flakes are the star of the show, so you mostly want those two and salt.  The other stuff is really sort of optional.  Come back a few days later and the flavors are out of this world.  I have tried heating this mixture and I prefer it cool.  I could give you an exact recipe (from Pizza Shark who worked at Pizzeria Regina), but I think half the fun is just blending to suit your palate. I use olive oil, they use canola, but play around and see what you like.

If you want you can strain this mixture after a week or so because the non oil soluble products can get a bit funky after a while.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »
I ordered some and tried it out on a few pies, both before and after baking. Clearly, as Pete-zza observes, there is a major garlic flavor and some heat. The extra virgin olive oil didn't seem to contribute much flavor. Scott is right that this is something you can create yourself. I would use a better quality oil if drizzling it on at the end.

The next day I roasted a chicken that had been marinating in a little of the oil for 24-hours. It was really quite good! ABPP is probably a better condiment for meat and pasta than pizza, IMO, but I'll keep playing with it.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan