Author Topic: Are You Ready for Some Baseball......Pizza!!!!!!  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
Are You Ready for Some Baseball......Pizza!!!!!!
« on: August 11, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »
Got baseball fans coming over for the big game? No problemo! Imagine their surprise when you serve them up their very own personalized pizza emblazoned with their favorite teams logo. You'll surely hit a grand slam and be voted MVP, Most Valuable Pizzaiolo, scoring both in and out of the kitchen  >:D. They should be selling these at Fenway!

This style of pizza is not limited to baseball. It works equally well for almost any sport including football, basketball or even NASCAR.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:05:04 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Are You Ready for Some Baseball......Pizza!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »
Hey VR, you are making me hungry ! 

that baked pie looks darn amazing.  I'm assuming cooked on your
famous LBE !  >:D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:39:27 PM »
Correct-a-mundo CB, the LBE kicked that pizza out in 2:45 at 750 degrees! I was experimenting with high temps and a basic dough recipe of just flour, water, salt and starter. When the temp got up to 800+ degrees the bottom started to burn, but the pizza still tasted great. Here's another one.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:36:50 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Hi Villa Roma,

Well I know where I'm going for dinner this evening.......... your house  >:D

You know, if you had tons of money, and could patent something like that, and get it manufactured
I could see it selling millions.  As far as I know, you are the only person who has this idea, I've never seen
it anywhere else.  I have tried a few times on the BBQ to get high high temps, but it just doesn't happen,
and there are so many openings on the lid of a traditional gas bbq, so heat is constantly being lost, whereas
your model has none of those problems. 

Anyway, that pizza looks great !

Correct-a-mundo CB, the LBE kicked that pizza out in 2:45 at 750 degrees! I was experimenting with high temps and a basic dough recipe of just flour, water, salt and starter. When the temp got up to 800+ degrees the bottom started to burn, but the pizza still tasted great. Here's another one.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:39:54 AM »
Bacon....Check out a two part video of these pizzas being made here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b46UuQ4G4TE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b46UuQ4G4TE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1maPZLe_zo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1maPZLe_zo</a>

Villa Roma

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
Hi VR,

wow, great videos, I really am enjoying them.

The pizzas are really great looking and I'm really wanting to
make an oven as yours.

Question, - I noticed a user by the name of "ronbros" did you change your username ?
I'm assuming that is what you did.

What I love about your system, is that it gives us, the people who can't afford a real wood oven in their backyards,
a chance to make pizzas at a very high temp....

Question 2: - do you happen to have an image of the bottom of the weber bbq, sitting on top of the propane burner ?
I'm wondering how it sits on there, and if you did something special so that it doesn't fall off, or wobble....

Anyway, your pizzas and your dedication really inspire me.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 01:52:55 PM »
Bacon.....I changed my username from RonBro to Villa Roma shortly after I registered. It's the name of an Italian restaurant I worked at when I was in my teens. That was a long time ago!

Another great thing about the LBE is that it is portable so you can put it in a good sized trunk of a car or in the back of a pickup and take it anywhere. It gets a lot of attention, especially when they see the finished pizzas.

The kettle just sits on top of the burner held in place by gravity, just like a frying pan. No tricks and it works great. Here's a shot of it looking straight down from the top before I lined the inside with foil.

Boy Hits Car made a Philadelphia clone of the LBE. You might want to follow along as he hones his pizza making skills on the egg. Check it out here, page 2: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.20.html

Villa Roma

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:10:04 PM by Villa Roma »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:08:29 PM »
Hi VillaRoma, thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

I guess I want to ask you, if you could do me a favour and take a couple of images, with the base of that propane
burner alone, and a picture of the base of the bbq just about as it goes on, or maybe from an angle, shooting upwards
with your camera, so I can see.....

If I'm going to take this project on, I'd like to see how it goes together better, so I know what I need to do, and buy.

I'm a bit scared about going out and buying the stuff, before asking you if you could do that for me.

Hmm, or maybe you could post a video of how the pieces go together, and post it on YouTube, so that others could
see how this is done... I think it would be a nice video, a tutorial on how it goes together   :) 

Well, I'll leave it at that, thanks if you find the time and wish to do that, or perhaps a picture or 2 or 3.  Thinking of it
now though, the video would be awesome.... you could start video-ing, and show the actual propane burner, and then
slowly put in place the bottom of the bbq , to show how it fits etc etc...

anyway, that would be great if you could !   :D

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 04:53:04 AM »
Bacon....I took some pics of the lower portion of the LBE along with the burner.

The first pic is the Lower half of the LBE shortly after I cut the hole in the bottom. It's sitting upside down without the foil lining.

The second pic is of the propane burner.

The third pic is of the burner with the lower portion of the LBE sitting on top of it. As you can see, there's no magic here.

Villa Roma

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:55:05 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:57:03 PM »
Villa Roma, Your pizzas look great!  I enjoyed watching your videos.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 01:41:55 AM »
Villa Roma, Your pizzas look great!  I enjoyed watching your videos.

Thanks Peteg......With the baseball post season just around the corner, I think we're going to see a lot more baseball (sports) pizzas. It wouldn't surprise me to see MLB start maketing this.

Videos are a great medium for making demos of almost anything. You can bet I'll be making more pizza demos in the future so stay tuned.

Villa Roma

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:08:59 AM »
Hi Villa Roma,

I appreciate you taking those images for me, I had viewed them the same day you posted them, and was in a rush
and didn't thank you for doing that, so thanks very much !

I'm glad you did too, because the actual stove is much wider than what I thought.  There seem to be many different
models of this type of propane burner.  Many guys who homebrew, use one simular to this, but the base is much more
narrow on it.  Anyway now I know what to look for, and see how it fits together ! so thanks again !  ;D

Bacon....I took some pics of the lower portion of the LBE along with the burner.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »
Bacon.....I picked up mine online at Aubuchon hardware. (http://outdoor-living.hardwarestore.com/58-233-outdoor-deep-cookers-and-fryers/hi-press-cooker-with-360-wind-screen-673482.aspx)  I ordered from Aubuchon because they ship overseas. You should be able to find it elsewhere on the web by searching on "BAYOU CLASSIC".

Costs $42 plus shipping. Order $99 or more in merch and the shipping is free!

Copied from their site:
Tall 13" frame with a wide ``Double Support" leg design. Recessed Burner Mount allows for a 360 degree windscreen protection. U.L. Listed 3' 20 PSI Regulator UL-Listed 48" Hose / Regulator / Valve Assembly Kit 185,000 BTUs
. 14" Diameter Cooking Surface. This Hi-Press Cooker with 360 Wind Screen is one of many top quality items in our Outdoor Deep Cookers & Fryers department.

Hi-Press Cooker with 360 Wind Screen
This item is available ONLINE ONLY.
You can also special order this item through our Retail Locations in New England and New York.

Barbour International Model # SP10
OUTDOOR - SINGLE BURNER
``BAYOU CLASSIC"
20 PSI Regulator
UL-Listed 48" Hose / Regulator / Valve Assembly Kit
185,000 BTUs
Unit: each
Unit Weight: 16.9000 lbs
UPC Code: 050904001108

Here's a link to the BC site: (http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/)

Villa Roma

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 12:37:34 AM »
Mike.....I'm not sure if there is a typo or if it makes a difference but the burner from Amazon says that it comes with a 10 psi regulator. The one from Aubuchon says 20 psi. ??? They are both the same model (SP-10) and they both say 185,000 BTUs so I would think they both ship with the 20 psi regulator. What is the rating of your regulator?

The regulator should have a silver sticker on it as shown in the picture of my unit below. The 10 psi regulator is rated at 55,000 BTUs vs 185,000 for the 20 psi.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:34:52 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
Villa Roma,

I just checked and the regulator doesn't have that sticker.  I checked the box that both the burner and regulator came in and it stated it was a 20 psi regulator.  The regulator pictured on the box and the one you provided above looks exactly like the one I have. Must be a typo on the Amazon page.

Mike

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 11:15:39 PM »
Mike....I had a 10 psi regulator on the prototype LBE and I could burn the pizza just as easily as with the 20 psi regulator. >:D  55,000 BTUs is still a lot of heat for such a small space. 185,000 is insane. BC also makes a 30 psi regulator, probably best suited for multiple burners...Hmmmm.

More Power!!!!....Villa Roma
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:09:36 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »
The Red Sox made the playoffs so to wish them good luck I made a Red Sox baseball pizza.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »
Since the Red Sox are still in the playoffs I made two more pizzas to wish them further good luck. The first pizza is a Green Monster pizza and the second one is another baseball pizza.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 03:18:19 PM by Villa Roma »