Author Topic: RED ROCKS in Washington DC  (Read 1389 times)

Offline DiNAPOLI

• PIZZA E BABA
RED ROCKS in Washington DC
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Went to Red Rocks Pizzeria in Washington DC this weekend...
and I have to say I was not impressed at all!!! actually very disappointed.

The pizza was flavorless...
The brick oven was nothing special.
and I felt like the ingredients were trying to be too much like 2 Amys but just not there.

The one good thing I could say is that I did like the Location and the step up is nice.
But the food still needs work and its own character.

Offline Apizz

• I Love Pizza!
Re: RED ROCKS in Washington DC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:43:31 PM »
I just visited that place too.
I must say that given the hype before the opening, I expected some good pizza.  But after trying it, I would not recommend it.

I had a pizza Margherita and a bruschetta.

The crust:  too thin in the middle (and soggy)
Has "soapy" flavor because of the too much flour used for stretching the balls.  The flour burns in the oven and leaves a bad aftertaste.  No yeasty flavor in that crust either.

The tomato sauce: actually pretty decent.  No crap like dried italian spices was added.  Very nice, clean tomato flavor.

Toppings:  As we all know, Margherita is all about good cheese.  The Red Rocks pie has worst buffalo mozzarella.  Both the taste and the flavor were not those of good buffalo mozzarella.  I don't know where they buy it, but they should really find a new purveyor.

Frankly, I am surprised that pizza was so bad given that Edan MacQuade is the chef there.  I noticed that there were other people there that used to work at 2Amys, too.  They used to make good pies at 2Amys but I don't know why they can't do the same at this place.

What's wrong, Edan?

P.S. Oh, the bruschetta.  Don't order it.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:31:16 PM by Apizz »

Offline shango

Re: RED ROCKS in Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »
Hi. 

Was I there?  You should have introduced yourselves.. I am always psyched to meet pizza afficianadoes.

I would like to reply to the above reviews just a little, (hopefully not too defensivly.)

I am working at RedRocks as a  consultant.  The chef thing is not from me.  I am there contractually to train the "chef" and other line cooks, as well as set up a system for ordering product and supplies.  Some other paper work and general knowledge. RedRocks is not my concept, design or business. 

Having said that;  I do think that it has potential.  The oven has a small mouth, retains a  lot of heat.  They are baking the pies @ around 700-900f.  One minute is a long bake in this oven.

Unfortunately there are some serious issues with storage and refrigeration space.  On my advice, hese issues are currently being corrected.

I don't care to comment on the brands of flour, tomato, or buffalo mozzarella, except to say that they are all held in high regard on this board as well as in other pizzeria.

Please give redrocks another try when you see the new walkin out front on 11th street.

cheers,
-E

pizza, pizza, pizza

pizzapan