Author Topic: KA White Whole Wheat?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline NOLA-Man

KA White Whole Wheat?
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »
I was looking at the KA website, and wanted to know members' thoughts on the KA White Whole Wheat, specs below:

100% White Whole Wheat Flour
14.0 Protein 1.80 Ash
100% high-protein, whole wheat flour milled from hard white spring wheat. Hard white
wheat yields a lighter colored whole wheat flour with a slightly sweeter taste making it
suitable for a wider variety of baking applications than traditional whole wheat flours.
Fine grind for the widest variety of uses.

The above specs were taken from the http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/85e624febf29e4c7836066cc68c71648/miscdocs/PremiumFloursonly.pdf link on the site. However, if this link is used,

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/85e624febf29e4c7836066cc68c71648/miscdocs/WWWhalfsheet.pdf, then the specs are:
100% White Whole Wheat Flour
Protein 13% Ash 1.6

Are there 2 different KA Whilte Whole Wheat flours? Also, is this an acceptable high-protein flour for making pizzas, and how is this different from the KASL, specs:

Sir Lancelot Hi-Gluten Flour
14.2 Protein .52 Ash

I see differences in the Ash (not sure what this means) and the White Whole Wheat doesn't say high-gluten, so even thought the protein % is 14.0, does that mean the While Whole Wheat is not a high-gluten flour? Sorry for all the questions, but I can find the White Whole Wheat in stores, so was wondering if this was a reasonable alternative. Thanks.

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: KA White Whole Wheat?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »
If you check further in the KA site, there is an indication that the lower-protein flour is made from winter wheat.  I suspect the difference in the two white whole wheats is that the spring wheat is available to bakeries and the winter wheat is available retail.

The high ash content is typical for whole wheat, indicating extra minerals in the bran and germ.

The protein in whole wheat is not comparable to the KASL.  KA recommends factoring whole wheat protein by 75% to compare to refined flour.

The KA white whole wheat makes a nice pizza, if that's what you want.  See Whole Wheat Crust Ideas under Other Types.

Offline yaddayaddayadda

• I Love Pizza!
Re: KA White Whole Wheat?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
I just bought 5lbs of this. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but will let you know how it turns out.