Author Topic: Pizza Supplies in Houston??  (Read 3985 times)

Offline NOLA-Man

Pizza Supplies in Houston??
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:08:02 PM »
Hi, I'm just starting to learn some of the brands of pizza stuff members use and recommend, very helpful. I'm in a burb south of Houston, and I'd like to share what I know (not much unfortuntatly) and see if there are some places I'm missing. In the city in the Galleria area is Central Market, owned by the HEB (Here' Everything's Better) people, it's like Whole Foods on steroids. They have excellent deli meats, although I haven't seen the brands of pepperoni some have listed in the Dallas and threads. I have to go and look to see what they have in terms of mozzarella, but my guess is they have a good selection. They also carry several brands of San Marzanos (whole peeled, puree), including Cento non-DOP, and a few brands that carry the seal, but that I've not seen posted here. They also carry Bel Aria 00 flour, but no other high-gluten that I saw, but I may have to check the bins carefully. The Kroger by me has a great assortment of Boar's Head products, and I'm guessing pepperoni, too, which seems to be a cup and char variety. I recently came across a Bellissimo (http://www.bellissimofoods.com/) distributor not too far from me, that has Grande mozz and All Trumps hi-gluten flour (I recently scored 10lbs of this for $5 from a local pizza joint but nice to have a back-up), will have to go and see about their tomato and pepperoni selections. Any other leads? I even emailed the Italian-American Association in Houston to ask them (no word yet), but like Dallas except for Jimmy's, there just doesn't seem to be a big concentration of Italians here or at least not Italian markets/grocers to speak of. Any help is appreciated!

Nola-Man

Offline BMAN111

Re: Pizza Supplies in Houston??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »
I realize this post is very old but maybe your out there.  You may want try Nundini's at 500 North Shepherd in the Heights.  They have a full stocked Italian deli and the best Gelato in town, made in-store.  They have the real Buffalo Mozzrella shipped-in from Italy weekly if you would like to try some of that.  I didn't really care for it.  After cooking, the cheese became oily and tough.  Just hard to beat Grande's 1:1 provolone/mozzarella blend.  I order from Pennmac, 5lbs at a time.  Sort of expensive that way with shipping and all.  I'll usually get a #10 can of Stanislaus Pizzaiolo and a pound of Ezzo pepperoni as well.  I may try freezing a small portion of Grande next time to see how it works out.  If good then I may go for the 6-pack. 

Offline verde

• Hatch Chiles
Re: Pizza Supplies in Houston??
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:08:08 PM »
I just joined this forum today: what a great place to share pizza-related info!  I'll second the recommendation for Nundini's, and there is a new Italian shop on Washington Ave that I haven't visited yet.  In the past, I've used cheap mozzarella and tomatoes from Krogers, or wherever, but I'm ready to be enlightened by using some better ingredients.  My Neopolitan style crust is coming along.  Next try will be Wednesday with some pesto pizza, featuring basil from my garden.  If anyone has recommendations for places to buy ingredients, (including flour), I'd love to hear.