Author Topic: Molto Mario's Imported Italian Oven  (Read 13565 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Molto Mario's Imported Italian Oven
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »
Below is a photo of Mario Batali's wood-fired oven that was imported from Italy and installed outside of his home in Michigan. The photo appeared in an article about Mario in today's (8/17/07) online New York Times. No details as to the manufacturer of the oven were given.

The parts of the article that discuss his oven and its use are as follows:

WATCHING Mario Batali shovel a pizza topped with chopped tomatoes, wet chunks of fresh mozzarella and grilled artichokes into his crackling outdoor pizza oven, it is easy to imagine you are in a hill town outside Bologna, perhaps even in Borgo Capanne, where Mr. Batali apprenticed for three years at a trattoria. The surrounding spruce trees and the wind off the lake only add to the air of authenticity, as does the wood smoke that plumes out from the top of the brick oven and the smell of baking bread…

Mr. Batali’s outdoor pizza oven was installed their second summer in the house (it was shipped from Italy) and soon after, an outdoor kitchen was added, complete with a Big Green Egg, a large oval ceramic smoker in which Mr. Batali makes, among other dishes, paella. “Since I can’t cook it over a fire of vine clippings like they do in Spain, I bought this,” he said.

Yet the pizza oven is the main food focus of Mr. Batali’s Michigan life. “I will make 30 pizzas in one night if we have friends over,” he said, stretching and throwing dough into a second pizza with green olives and three peppers — one Peppadew and two guindillas. Though the children prefer plain pizzas, they once made one with barbecued sparerib meat, and Michael Moore, who was in town recently for the Traverse City Film Festival, came over for a sausage pizza.

At Thanksgiving Mr. Batali slipped a 20-pound stuffed turkey into the pizza oven, along with sweet potatoes with mini-marshmallows on top, and at Christmas, he cooked a huge ham in it. “I cook vegetables, fish, meat, in it,” he said. “You name it.”

Peter
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:11:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Molto Mario's Imported Italian Oven
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
I would say it is a valoriani due to the signature 'V' in the middle arch brick.

http://www.valoriani.it/
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Amir

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »
I would say it is a valoriani due to the signature 'V' in the middle arch brick.

Indeed.  I was just at Mugnaini and they bragged about Mario buying another brand, and having it not perform, and replacing it with one of "their" ovens.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:30:09 PM by Amir »

Offline Barbara taste the world

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
I am just starting my own business, and have been reading about Forno Bravo and Mugnani. Our business will consist of pizza and sandwiches and roasted meats.  Does anyone have a feel for what oven will perform better?  I know Molto Mario just purchased a Mugnani, but does anyone know what type ovens he has in his businesses.

Barbara

Offline Amir

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:22:17 PM »
Barbara, do a search here and you will find one thread where there is an owner with both brands and preferred Mugnaini.  I am not running a restaurant but have been researching these ovens extensively and so far, I have to agree with his opinion.

Post here if you have trouble finding that thread and I will search and find it for you.

Amir

Offline Barbara taste the world

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:05:09 PM »
Amir

Thank you so much.  Very helpful!

Barbara

Offline Revivor

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
When reading this post about Mario Batali's WFO I am a little confused.   ???   ???

Mugnaini's web site says that their ovens are designed by Valoriani.   " Mugnaini pizza ovens are hand crafted by Refratarri Valoriani, the same family of artisans that have been making wood fired ovens since 1890. "

Other forums have aluded that Mugnaini is the US distributor for Valoriani ovens.  So is this true?  Is the Mugnaini oven just a repackaged Valoriani oven or is it a new oven that was just designed by a Valoriani family member?  And is the Mugnaini Prima 100 and 120 newer ovens that were designed by Valoriani or are they totally designed by Andrea Mugnaini as their web site suggests.

Offline pacoast

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »
That is a very old thread that you resurrected. Mugnaini is the stateside distributor for Valoriani ovens. They are rebranded under the Mugnaini moniker. I don't believe that there is a 1:1 correpondence to an off the shelf Valoriani model though. Mugnaini has asked Valoriani to package parts & features from several different Valoriani models for North American consumption.

I haven't looked at Mugnaini's website recently but they do (or at least, did) make this clear on their website. I also found Andrea forthcoming with details when I contacted her a year or so ago.

Offline Revivor

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
Thank you for the reply. 

I have been researching which oven to buy.  And after reading this old post I guess I was just a little confused since it seemed that Mario was not happy with his Valoriani oven but then later got a new Mugnaini oven and was happy with it.  I guess I thought they were the same manufacturer.  Oh well.  maybe he bought a bigger Mugnaini back then and liked that better. 

Offline pacoast

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
Reading between the lines a bit, I think what probably transpired is that Batali bought a WFO, brand unknown (or at least, I've never heard it specified by anyone). Allegedly didn't like it and then bought an oven from Mugnaini. And that is what is being picturesquely referred to as "imported an oven from Italy" in the 2007 NY Times article. That is Valoriani --> Mugnaini --> Batali.

I might be wrong, but it seems likely. A Mugnaini oven is simply a Valoriani one, although you could describe it as a hybrid model, relative to what is in their Italian line. Alternately, it has been quoted in the press that Mario has WFOs at several of his homes. Perhaps he did originally import a Valoriani. Then found it easier to obtain a subsequent oven for a different residence from Mugnaini, essentially being the same oven.

More recently, Mario has licensed his name out to many product lines, including Chicago Brick Ovens.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:00:04 AM by pacoast »

Offline laurence Russo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
Regarding Mugnaini and Andrea:

I installed one of the Medio 110 oven that comes on a stand.....option only available to me for city codes on the property line.

My point is... I either over fired it during its cure faze or, it was built with a flaw. The floor Stones began cracking on one side of the oven. Andrea replaced the entire floor stones at her expense and with her labor. I find her serious about standing by her product. She then re-submitted to us the instructions on how to cure the oven.  The oven is just the perfect size for us in terms of the length of time it takes to come up to full temp. and the ability to have room to cook for a group of 40.

Offline Revivor

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »
Mr. Russo,

It sounds like you are pleased with your Medio 110.  Do you use it for general baking or just mainly pizza?  Is it indoors or outdoors?  And what is the highest temperature that you have cooked at?  Can it easily achieve and maintain 800-900'C and maintain a consistant temperature without devouring wood?

The Medio 110 is actually the oven that has caught  my eyes. 

Thanks,

David

Offline laurence Russo

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
My wife and I are new to cooking in the oven so I don't know if my thoughts would be of value. We use the on a regular basis and just finished a three hour gathering of our daughters high school water polo team....both boys and girls. We served about six different pizza's. Had 20 350 gram sourdough balls ready to go The oven started in the 875F range using a hand held therm "gun" and did drop after the two hrs to 825F. I fed it four/five triple split logs of almond for the whole event.

I should add we have had a bit of an issue with a single neighbor who was not at all happy we put in the pizza oven. We had to meet with our city building department and get written approval from the Federal EPA in order to use the oven. Part of my solution to this neighbor was that I would have my wood triple split so my wood rate is probably not a good indicator for you. (yes we continue to invite this neighbor for every gathering....they never come though some people just do not want to be happy or, they are allergic to pizza?)

We have some pretty good success cooking poultry.... very moist and so we will continue to try other things. My wife and I are hell bent on perfecting our pizza so are focus is there.  I will add that one sure fire way to get 3-4 neighbors to show up unannounced with bottles of wine is to put elephant garlic in the oven at startup. The smell becomes an invitation......

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
I have a Medio 110.  Very happy with it and use it to cook all kinds of things from Thanksgiving dinner to paella.  It takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get it up to temp (with 2 hours a necessity if you are going to cook many pizzas).  After it is up to temp, I usually throw in a double spit log every 15-20 minutes to keep it in the 850-900 degree range.

By the way, the cooking school that Mugnaini includes with its ovens is very worthwhile.

Offline laurence Russo

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »
My wife and I missed the class Andrea offers when you buy your oven from Mugnanini. Just all the stuff with the city, an unhappy neighbor regarding the smoke from the oven, yada...kids in high school...yada  I just really liked Andrea's response to my oven's problem.