Author Topic: The HOW to ferment a sauce  (Read 1527 times)

Offline DomeZone

• I Love Pizza!
The HOW to ferment a sauce
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
Hi
Was reading the lines of fermenting, but through it all, no real instructions on how to do it.
I don't really want to get botulizm or something by doing it wrong. Can someone help?

Thanks
Mike

Offline csacks

• It takes some big onions.
Re: The HOW to ferment a sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:45:38 AM »
Maybe I can get you started.  When I fermented sauce I purchased some yeast that is used in wine making.   I added the yeast to my pizza sauce that was at room temperture (70-75 degrees).  (I used 1/2 t yeast.  Others posting to the thread generally felt that I used to much.)  I left the sauce set out for about an hour (to get things started) then put it into the fridge.  If everything has gone right you will find bubbles gathering around the outside of your sauce (on the sides of the bowl).  There should be a nice smell of the fermenting tomatoes as well.  I used the sauce at the end of a week.  Any sauce should hold in the fridge for one week.  I would think the above procedure is safe to use.  In the event that it is not, well kindly disregard.  ;D

When we made wine the must was delightful to taste.  Very memorable.  That is essentially what is being produced with the above procedure.  (The wine must sets at room temp for 7 days) I think that you will like it.  Craig

Offline DomeZone

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The HOW to ferment a sauce
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »
thanks C for the come back.
Don't know about "drinking" it as a wine, but want to try it on the pizza.
Been looking for a taste that I can't find in spices, so thought this might be it.
YThanks again

Mike