Author Topic: Caputo % recipe  (Read 2271 times)

Offline measevoli

Caputo % recipe
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »
Does anyone have a good Bakers % recipe  using Caputo 00 flour? There is so much info on these forums, its hard to pinpoint a good one. Need one great in a gas stone oven that tops out at 650 degrees. Any sauce and cheese recipes would be wonderful also..

Thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Caputo % recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
I doubt you will like this flour at those lower (than it was intended for) temps.   650 will still get you a 4-5 minute pizza, and caputo flour really needs under 3 to have a decent texture.  I highly suggest blending 50/50 with an american flour or using oil and sugar or both.  You will notice that most pizzerias prefer the hydration percentages for this flour to be much lower than other flours. I suggest going with something like 60% rather than 65% which I would recommend for most american high gluten flours.  You will also want to kneed your dough longer than you would with a typical american pizza flour.

Try 60% flour
2.5% salt
1.5% sugar
2% oil
if you blend with american flour bump it up to 62% hydration.

Of course most recipes you will find for caputo flour use no oil or sugar because the pizzas made with caputo are usually cooked in a Neapolitan wood burning oven for 1-2 minutes at closer to 900 degrees.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
measevoli,

It is hard to apply the word "great" in the context of using an unmodified home oven to make Neapolitan style pizzas. You would have to have a wood-fired oven capable of much higher temperatures to make "great" Neapolitan pizzas that emulate the authentic Neapolitan pies. The best you can hope for in a home oven setting is to make the best Neapolitan style pizza possible under the circumstances. Since I have a home oven (mine is electric), that is what I have tried to do. Since your oven has a higher maximum temperature than mine (which maxes out somewhere between 500-550 degrees F), you should gain a slight advantage with your higher temperature.

A while back, I tried to identify some of the best Caputo-based recipes that I have personally used, as well as some that other members have used to produce quality Caputo pies in a standard, unmodified home oven. I set forth those recipes in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3673.msg30851.html#msg30851. In most cases, baker's percents were used. Before embarking on making a Caputo-based pizza, I suggest that you read the comments I set forth at the bottom of Reply 3 of the abovereferenced thread. Those comments accurately reflect my views on the subject after making a lot of Caputo-based pizzas in my home oven-- using commercial yeast, natural preferments, room-temperature fermentation, cold fermentation, Caputo flour blends, oil/no oil, sugar/no sugar, and various and sundry dough enhancers/additives. In my view, the hardest decent pizza to make in a standard, unmodified home oven is one based on using Caputo flour. That accounts for the voluminous information on the forum on that subject. Our members never give up trying, even in the face of unsurmountable odds.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:02 PM »
 I highly suggest blending 50/50 with an american flour or using oil and sugar or both. 

I agree with scott r on the notion of combining Caputo flour with another flour (domestic). One of the posts in which I described some of my experiments doing this is Reply 4 in the thread referenced earlier. Reply 4 is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3673.msg30928.html#msg30928. In that post, I provide links to the details of the actual experiments. The baker's percents for the recipes that I thought turned out well are recited in Reply 4. In my case, I found that I did not have to use any oil or sugar, although I did build a "mini oven" within my regular oven in an attempt to get higher bake temperatures.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:30:39 PM »
measevoli,

I just saw your other post in the NY section in which you mentioned that your oven is a commercial gas-fired deck oven. In that case, if you are still thinking about using Caputo 00 flour, I think your best option is to use a Caputo/domestic flour blend. That is what Dom DeMarco uses at DiFara's in his gas-fired deck oven (I believe it is a Baker's Pride). You can try making a pure Caputo pie in your oven, but it is unlikely that you will get the optimum use and benefits of the Caputo flour. I suggest you try making a few pizzas and see if you like the results.

Peter