Author Topic: Tony Gemignani world champion Neapolitan pizza maker  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Tony G

Re: Tony Gemignani world champion Neapolitan pizza maker
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:07:19 PM »
This is Tony Gemignani. Seems like some of you may be coming out to Pyzano's on Oct 20th. If so It would be very important that you call and get on the list. I am near 100 pre orders already and I may have to cap it sooner or later. After reading your reply's I see that some of you are quite excited and some of you are a bit scepical on the out come of my win. The win was indead great. I will say on my side of it that the competiton was profesional, The organization Margherita Regina is a very great one at that. I seemed to read something that stated that that association was secondary.. Not even close. Several VPN's are togehter in that association including Ernesto Cacciali and Gaetano Esposito. I visited several pizzerias and was very impressed with all of the operations. Several pizzaiolos competed from Naples and all of Italy. There was a Japanese competitor as well who has a pizzeria in Japan called Napuli - thats how he spelled it. He was trainned by Ernesto and he is quite impressive. The compettion was run by almost all VPN's they were either judges or organizers. Very helpful as well.
    Someone stated in a post that the big guys didn't compete from Naples. I do not know all the contestants but when it does come to a VPN pizzaiolo whos has generations in the pizza business you tend to understand that they really have nothing to prove by competing they are a bit past that now.
The event did bring a lot of people the Neapolitan category at the World Championships only brings about  18. This was was twice as many so the talent was there. Some Caputo competitors that i have seen in the past were there as well. Even though it was sponsored by San Felice
Ernesto did have San Felice at his pizzeria when we visited.. I saw other pizzerias have it as well. So San Felice is quite popular in Naples along with of course Caputo.
   For some of you when it comes to an internathinal compettion that is considered World Class the USA isn't well like especially in the pizza business. I have gone to more competitons in my time than most and have seen a lot. I don't think the ball is on my court when competing in Italy especially Naples. I am one who is sceptical as well. Out of any pizza I have ever made in a wood buring oven I would have to say that the one I won with was the best. The balance, color, dough, char, size, and taste was pretty great.
    I know some of you would like to know in detail other aspects of the pizza. I went with the Margherita. You have the right to choose 3 kindss Margherita Extra, Marinara, or Magherita

I used a cold rise method, By hand, Fresh Yeast, water from Napoli (slight taste of sulfer), Sea Salt, San Felice, let sit for a bit of time before mixing by hand. added salt last. cut and ball in to 220 grams let the dough rise in Stainless for 8 hour rise then tranfered to wood for the remaining 8 -9 hours.

Brought 2 Cento DOP with me just in case the brands in Naples were not good. I was right the ones I found were a bit young , not ripe, and not flavorfull. De seeded and de veined the Tomatoes. discarded the packing juice. Placed in wood bowl. I did see some alot of seeds in mosdt competitors sauce.. I am a bit picking and try to get them all out. Seeds then to be bitter. I did a video on this on our team web site and in the test I found Cento to be one of the best

Bought the basil in Naples

dop extra virgin olive oil in a copper pizzaiolo decaner

Used Mozzarella Fior di Late from Naples cubed it, and had it packed in a cheese cloth placed on wood bowl
 The technique part of the compettion is the hardest. hand formation with dough which there are a few different types I went with a standard NY push and slap. Everything is a spiral motion sauce, sea salt, mozz, basil oil. Then I asked a VPN to hold the peel up to the marble. you then have to transfer the un cooked pizza to the peel. Which in the Naples humitiy was quite hard the competiton is at an open tent like structure.. Propable 90 degree's with 6 wood buring ovens around the way. I saw some contestants had problems.. I made my pizzas into a 10 inch when trasfered it became approx 13 round no football shape- that what they want to see.  the ingredients going in were all at room temp. I think that was important especially in a near or over 900 oven.

The bake was great. The oven was good and hot..Clean as well. some ovens were not clean. I asked to have mine brushed.before. I rotated evry 15 second just under 90 pulled it out and it was great. 2 VPN checked the bottom pressed the dough then I was off the the other set of judges. i did see other ovens not bake as well. I used another oven for the classic side of the competiton and it wasn't very good. but thats how the compettions are

the outside rise of the dough was perfect not to thick not to thin and was the center. Nice char on top and on bottom, The judges seemed to like it. They questioned me on several things, weights, dough, cheese, bake etc..Someone said it wasn't fair that they were asking me so many questions sometimes they like to do that with US competitors. I answered all of them. Sometimes they ask terms that deal with weights and they think we don't know what we are talking about. I used Grams instead of oz for dough weitghts when I explained.

They tried it twice. asked for more. Which is in common for judges. One VPN told me mine was well balanced inlike some others.. He said not too much salt. They tried several pizzas before mone and had more to go. That was a good sign. I save one for me and shared it with the team

That night When they called my name I was pretty blown away..I knew the pizza was as good as it came out but you never think you would win 1st.. It was special. Glad I could share this with you. Several Italins were not too happy, several were. Looking forward to meeting some of you on the 20th. I have a forno Bravo coming in.. i hope i does the job. I talked with the owner who also worked at Mugnani. He seems to be ok with it. I said I like it hot he said no problem.. Thats the only thing I think I am worried about especailly when it is not you oven. I think it will be fine. looking forward to it.The ingredients arrive next week. San Felice. San Marzano etc... We will have a great time. I hope this answers some questions and summersie's the event

Tony Gemignani

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 08:35:30 PM »
Tony, I am so proud of you!  What an accomplishment.

Do you have any pictures of the winning pizza?

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »
Great job Tony. Glad to hear it was a well sanctioned event. Congratulations

Do you have any comments on the Beehive oven you used to practice?
A few of us here have looked at them, but are worried about its small size.

thanks!
jason

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
Thanks for that post Tony.  You should be proud.  Congrats.

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
Great to have you on the forum Tony!  I'm sure we can all learn a lot from you.  I really enjoyed your book and I'm glad to here of your recent success.  Did you learn anything interesting while you were in Naples?  I'm sure we would all love to see some pictures if you get time.  Pete G.

Offline Tony G

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I tried to upload some pics last night but they were too large for this site. I do have several pics on my world pizza champions web site. you can view them. I have a close up of the wining pizza and me using the oven while competing in the gallery under World Pizza Cup page 17 you can see my pics. About the Bee Hive. I like it. I have had it for over 2 years. I have used it at Italian festivals for demos. They are imported. It is mobile, So in case you move you can bring it with you. I have a video on our web site that you can see it cook some margheritas (thats in out paid portion unfortunately) Its under my Neapolitan using Caputo Dough. The pizzas come out great. Only cooks one at a time. It will cook in 2 minutes If you arraigned the wood correctly you can get a nice char on the bottom from moving your logs into the middle then off to the side befer the bake. It always cooks great on top. Terra cota, I do not know how long it will last so we will see. You can bake other things in it as well.
  For the post about what did I learn- Naples is always an experience. That was my 3rd time in Naples 10th time to Italy. I have seen a lot of pizzerias this time the deep fried pizza and calzones at El Presidente was awesome. Ernesto's son was working that night along with his father. His pizzeria was one of the best pizzas I have ever tried ever... The Buffula Mozzarella & Fior di late in Naples surpassed any we get imported into the states. Especially the ones that several VPN's gave me to try..Funny thing that i saw was a pizza made into a stick/lollypop but with pizza ingredients then baked. Someone in the US said they came up with it.. I saw a VPN make one and he had a pic of one he made back in the late 60's maybe  70's..long before the  guys said he made it in the US. I thought that was funny. Glad you liked my book. Thanks. The passion is always great to see when you go into competition in Italy. Seeing pizzaiolo's come from all over to represent is something special. You don' t see that as much in the US competitions. Some VPN's pizzas were wet others were not.. I perfer one that is less wet. That could come from the Mozz, Oil, and bake time. Most of the old timers had there sons working.. I liked that. Now you know we will have another generation of greats. I also learned or at least everyone said there is no school for Neapolitan pizza in Naples.. Several people say they go to school in Naples in publications and get certified. I looked into it and most said no. I am not sure what is going on with that but that was interesting. I know several VPN's and the Naples government is breaking ground on a new University of Neapolitan Pizza. I am off to Atlantic City Pizza Today show, then to Virginia Beach Italian fest right after. If I don't reply back after the weekend. I will in a few weeks.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 12:28:56 PM »
Here is a direct link to the photo album I believe Tony is referring to:

http://worldpizzachampions.com/gallery/album10?page=1

- Aaron
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 07:24:06 AM »
Hi Tony,

Nice for you to join us.

I do not mean to disrespect you and my congratulation for your win. This however doesn't change what I said.

You have mentioned that big VPN guys will not attend this shows/event, but most of them will be competing next week at the pizzafest.

Regina Margherita was created 2 or 3 years ago to organise the event where the largest pizza in the world was baked and enetered in the Guinnes record book. Some of the members include VPN guys, and some members are indeed also members of VPN and APN....

I have also partecipated to one of those event myself, and even if on the surface was well organised and seamed fair, I was actually told how someone win..... and has nothing to do with the best pizza.

At the same time I hope that your win will help on increasing interest in the Pizza Napoletana.

Ciao

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the heads up on the list that's started...I've pre-ordered a couple of pies, and hope to get a chance to say hello when I'm up there, perhaps even see you at work! 

Best,

Dan from LA
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »
With a callsign like "Pizza Concerto" why would you go by any other name??? 

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »

I have also partecipated to one of those event myself, and even if on the surface was well organised and seamed fair, I was actually told how someone win..... and has nothing to do with the best pizza.

Nice back handed compliment... We've come to expect nothing less (or more) from you.

- aba

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:45 AM »
Abatardi,

Whatever you opinion, expectations etc ,I have again talked about something I know, I was told about first hand by the organizer and have seen with my eyes.

It is easy to make judgments from behind a PC from thousands of miles away on a subject you think to know about... Myself have come to expect this by yourself and others on this forum....

I will only be writing messages on this forum when something misleading may appear.

Have a nice day

Marco

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
Hi Pete,

I knew that if I put my name on the list as "Concerto...Mr. Pizza Concerto... your pizza orders ready", they just wouldn't have taken me seriously... :D
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 02:45:21 PM »
Tony:

What do you mean when you say "Stainless" for 8 hours? and for cold rise, was it refrigerated for all 16 hours?

BTW, nice looking pies. Competition or not, those look good.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »

I will only be writing messages on this forum when something misleading may appear.

The best news I've heard all week.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 04:21:24 AM »
The best news I've heard all week.

- aba

Keep it up!!

Another great contribution from you.

What would this forum be without your essential posts?

All your discussions about the techniques, scientific tips etc have made a great difference in my PIZZA.

Thanks Thanks Thanks

PS We can all be sarcastic, still only very few can make great pizza!!!

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 04:44:01 AM »
Moderators, please delete or move this post if it is too off topic. I just wanted to chime in on Marco and Aba's "quarrel." I don't know what the source of this quarrel is, nor do I care. But I do think it is a shame that Marco will only be posting on this forum when something "misleading" appears. Perhaps some members might not care for what they perceive to be a bad attitude on behalf of Marco. I personally believe that this "bad attitude" might more accurately be attributed to a language barrier (Marco's native tongue is Italian) and to an intense confidence in the information he shares.

That said, I would suggest that even if it is just plain bad-attitude, we should bite our collective tongues for the sake of receiving his knowledge. Some members might decide that it is not worth it; unfortunately, they do so in a manner that causes all members to loose access to this valuable asset. They make the decision for us all, by berating Marco until he feels no desire to share the valuable information he has.

Thank you, Marco, for your many contributions to this forum in particular. Thank you also for sharing the Camaldoli and Ischia starters with the world. I would love to know which other forums you frequent and post at, so that I can continue to benefit from your knowledge. You can send me a private message or an email (fabtheman at gmail dot com) if you don't want to post here. Thanks again.

Offline shango

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
I am going to agree with the previous post..  Generally Marco has only usefull (if highly OPINIONATED) information to share.  All to often these blogs are used for simple hating and taunting..

Looking @ Tony's first post on this subject you can clearly see that the "official" rules of Vera Pizze were not followed in this contest..

Not a critiscism, just an observation.

sorry about the spelling errors here, my fingers are not cooperating.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 05:53:39 PM »

PS We can all be sarcastic, still only very few can make great pizza!!!

Yet another highly opinionated little nugget..  This comment goes against everything I think this forum as a whole represents - that everyone can make great pizza... Great is what you or your audience thinks is great.  It's all in the "eye of the beholder."  And Marco, I really hate to burst your bubble, but you are not the all-seeing, all-knowing 'Sauron' of pizza... :-)  

And I wasn't being sarcastic... That really was the best news I've heard all week!  haha

- aba

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 06:15:57 PM by abatardi »
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline toddster63

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
This comment goes against everything I think this forum as a whole represents - that everyone can make great pizza... - aba

I couldn't agree with you more, abatardi.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 08:32:48 PM by toddster63 »

pizzapan