Author Topic: Tony Gemignani world champion Neapolitan pizza maker  (Read 13649 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tony Gemignani world champion Neapolitan pizza maker
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »
This thread is about a pizza competition. No problem as far as I am concerned with discussing the event, the results, and the criteria used by the judges. Controversy can be a good thing. Feel free to argue passionately about pizza. Do not feel free to engage in personal attacks. If you have any questions about what constitutes a personal attack, please contact Steve, the owner of this great site.

Bill/SFNM  

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 01:21:56 AM »
Wake up and smell the "Pizza"

You are probally toe tapping for him right now.  :-D

Why is it that people, who are (presumably) nice enough in the outside world, feel they can say whatever they want without regard for others as soon as they are posting on a forum or a blog, etc? My theory is that the only thing holding them back in the real world is the consequences of their actions. Take away the consequences and you have a better sense of what a person is really like. Sad.

"Everybody has the right to post their own opinion, as long as it agrees with mine. And if someone's opinion doesn't agree with mine, then clearly that person is 'toe-tapping,' because anything other than my opinion is just ridiculous." I wish I could say that this kind of crappy attitude was the exception, but unfortunately it is the rule on the internet. I sincerely hope you see the error in your ways. All I ask is that before hitting the "post" button, you ask yourself, "would I say this to a fellow decent human-being if he were standing in front of me?"

Sorry to everyone for this rant, but I think it really needed saying.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 04:22:59 AM »
I wish I could think of something that has help me in my pizza making adventure that I got from Marco.

What have you learned from Him.

Maybe it will help Me value His input.

All I get is, sorry you don't have the right temp. oven, and some smoke about  starters.  Basically, Sucks to be you !!!

MWTC  :chef:

Hi.

Just read all the post before Feb 2005 and how the "general knowledge" of this forum evolved after that....

I have removed many posts, but the legacy from that time can be still seen, especially with regards to Natural yeast leavening and Pizza Napoletana.

Also, it is not about "you suck", but "you are moving in the wrong direction", and I still believe it is valuable....

Anyway, another reson for spending less time on this forum...

Good luck

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
So, are we done here?

I'm an admin at one of the largest message boards in the world ( pbnation.com ) and I don't have to deal with 14 year olds who are as cranky as this bunch sometimes. Unbelievable.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »
"Everybody has the right to post their own opinion, as long as it agrees with mine... because anything other than my opinion is just ridiculous."

Alright, let me lay what I believe out for you...

I think you just summed it up nicely.  I honestly don't see why people get all worked up about things online though.  Your argument plays into the other side as well.. If you saw strangers bickering in a grocery store and it was no business of your own, how many of you would butt in and say "hey guys, don't fight...come on now..."?  Seriously.  The internet is not a shield that prevents consequences.  If anything "real life" is a situation where everyone has become so afraid to interact with each other that things get bottled up and not said.  I'm not talking solely about arguments, I'm talking about interaction in general.  Eye contact.  Hellos.  They are disappearing.  Most people are perfectly civil to each other here and in fact friends in real life with some members here, myself included.  That is the rule.  What is happening right now is the exception.  The majority of (or only) times I have ever seen "fights" arise on this forum is when Marco is on the other end of it - but that is a good thing in my opinion.  I have to respect Marco for at least one thing and that is he is not afraid to speak his mind as so many others have become afraid to do.  Others and myself 'arguing' with Marco should not be seen as anything other than differences in personal opinions from both sides.  He is Microsoft, we are open source.  :-)  But those two need each other to encourage healthy competition and progress.  Conflict happens.  But let's try to remember that not all conflict is bad -- Conflict encourages thought and passion to do something greater, especially when trying to "prove" something.  Or we could all just go on our merry ways and be happy to bask in mediocrity.  :P

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline shango

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
Aba and Mwtc,

now it's just starting to sound like petty jealousy..

give the guy a break.

he has contributed more to this forum than you know.  What have you contributed except for congratulating yourselves and slinging around smart ass comments?

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline shango

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 03:02:20 PM »
MWTC,
if you have to ask, you'll never know..

good luck to you in your "pizza making adventure"..

people like you really do suck the fun out of forums like this.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline MWTC

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2007, 03:19:38 PM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 04:39:53 PM by MWTC »

Offline shango

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
Ok I'll try to answer all your questios:

Peter,

250g ball makes approximately a 30 cm diameter pizza (or about 12"). yes you will have just a lit a bit of dough left.
 The "recipe" is for a litre of water but it is an indicator for mixing  as little as half litre (less then a pint) up to 50 litres and the total fermentation/maturation time stays the same..
Mixing less then half litre it is not convenient as it would involve measuring too small ammount of ingredients, and what you suggest by mixing only paniello, is not reasonable in my opinion. I understand that making pizza at home doesn't require mixing large quantities, but I believe that mixing at least 1/2 litre it is ok as it resoults in at least 5 pizza or you could make fantastic bread rolls out of the remaining dough.

Regarding the Istant dry yeast, I don't really have something against it, but when use it  in very small quantities, the normal 1/3 ratio is not really true and you have to learn the differences. It sometimes act slower then fresh yeast and this may be an advantage. However I don't usually use it, as I do not think it is convenient measuring 0.8g per litre when mixing a small batch. If I had to mix at least 10 litres or more then I would consider it.
I have use IDY few times for small batches, and what I did was approximatelly dividing a 7g (available in UK) bag in 10 portions and use 1 portion per litre. The problem is that the remaining yeast would not keep for long, and in the following usage it would not act as the first time. You can still obtain  the Crisceto from Sourdough International and have a better try, as it is easier to measure 25g per half litre .

Gils

Using a too cold water is not positive as it does not help to form a good gluten. My dough never even see the refrigerator.
It is all done at room temperature, just by controlling the cold and hot spots in the pizzeria and/or home.

I appreciate your offer, and I would happily have you in my team, but I do not think you would move to London (UK) just to work for me. However there is a possibility of me moving to US for a very good project I was recently been ask to be part of.

PT:

I don't know any famous pizza house in italy using a biga. I know few people in the north of Italy using poolish for a different product then pizza napoletana. The Caputo pizzeria is studied to produce the best results with the direct method as it as a medium/low enzymatic activity and it is a flour of medium strenght (w240-260).

I do have an insight of the best Pizza Houses in Naples, the one serving 850-1200 pizzas a day, and I will reveal some of this insight in my book. What I can tell you, is that the really good places still use only direct method, slow fermentation at room temperature, and a very wet dough.

Ciao

I found this helpful..(quoted from one of Marco's first posts on this board.)
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline shango

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2007, 04:01:23 PM »

:o

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

MWTC  ;D

this one, not so much..
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »
This thread is about a pizza competition. No problem as far as I am concerned with discussing the event, the results, and the criteria used by the judges. Controversy can be a good thing. Feel free to argue passionately about pizza. Do not feel free to engage in personal attacks. If you have any questions about what constitutes a personal attack, please contact Steve, the owner of this great site.

Bill/SFNM 

Actually, I think this thread was meant to congratulate Tony on his victory.  It got hijacked along the way.  Congrats Tony.  I hope the mess that this thread has turned into doesn't turn you away from this board. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »
Guys,

This line of discussion is not getting us anywhere, other than putting people on the defensive and straining the bounds of civility.

I have been with the forum for a long time and I have seen the value that Marco has contributed to the forum. At a time when he was considering writing a book, he gave generously to the forum, knowing that doing so could endanger finding a publisher willing to publish his book when he was giving the information away for free on one or more forums. I was also around to see the shift of interest on the forum to the Neapolitan style and, more particularly, to the use of natural preferments. If one has doubts about his contributions, I suggest that they read his posts, starting from the beginning. I have done so on several occasions, and the fact that I liberally cite his posts in my own writings is evidence that I have learned something from him.  In point of fact, it has been substantial. I wish that he hadnít deleted and modified some of his posts, but I could understand his reasons for doing so at a time when he was seriously considering the book. I would have happily paid for a copy of such book to get access to information that he could not post on the forum. Marco was also communicating in a language that was not his natural language. I respect people who do that rather than sitting in the shadows for fear they will embarrass themselves.

Over time, Marco has developed a business and contractual relationships around what he knows. I think it is unrealistic to expect someone in his position to reveal everything he knows to people who are not paying customers. In a prior life, I had substantial experience in the protection of trade secrets and, if I was in his position, I doubt that I have even joined the forum. We have a ton of members who donít contribute to the forum in any meaningful way, through either posts of consequence or financially as Supporting Members. They benefit from all the free information on this forum but no one holds them to any standard. So, I think it is unfair to pick on Marco. I will take whatever he chooses to give us. Itís his prerogative. I donít know whether I would even like him if I met him in person, but that is not the issue. What I am after is learning more about the subject of pizza making. If he, or anyone else, helps me with achieving that objective, I will be grateful.

Peter

Offline shango

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »
agreed
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline shango

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2007, 06:46:31 PM »
Oh,
I didn't say it before, CONGRATULATIONS TONY!!

I hope that someday I will have the pleasure of tasting one of your pizze, and perhaps have the opportunity to compete against you in one of these contests..(not the acrobatic one.  I have seen you on tv.  You are truly the best!)

cheers,
-E
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2007, 01:12:22 AM »
I donít know whether I would even like him if I met him in person, but that is not the issue. What I am after is learning more about the subject of pizza making. If he, or anyone else, helps me with achieving that objective, I will be grateful.

Peter

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »
I donít know whether I would even like him if I met him in person, but that is not the issue. What I am after is learning more about the subject of pizza making. If he, or anyone else, helps me with achieving that objective, I will be grateful.

Amen Peter.

No one comes here to study personality conflict.  Everyone comes to study pizza.  So let's all go the extra mile to keep our public comments civil, fact-based, and pizza-focused even in the face of provocation.  Personal comments can be freely expressed via Personal Messaging.

I understand some posts have a lot of attitude mixed in.  But if we publicly respond to the attitude instead of the content then the board rapidly becomes about personal drama instead of about pizza.  The S/N ratio falls.  People leave.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2007, 01:15:06 PM »
this whole thing definitely turned me off, and I am so embarrassed that tony has it on his thread.

P.S.  I met marco in Italy and he was so friendly and helpful.  It really took my vacation there to a place that it would never have gone without him, the best vacation of my life.  What I find interesting is that I especially remember his great sense of humor, and that doesn't come across on the forum.

Marco, again thanks for making that such a great experience!

Offline aeneas1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2007, 06:29:14 AM »
Thanks guys. I tried to upload some pics last night but they were too large for this site. I do have several pics on my world pizza champions web site. you can view them. I have a close up of the wining pizza and me using the oven while competing in the gallery under World Pizza Cup page 17 you can see my pics. About the Bee Hive. I like it. I have had it for over 2 years. I have used it at Italian festivals for demos. They are imported. It is mobile, So in case you move you can bring it with you. I have a video on our web site that you can see it cook some margheritas (thats in out paid portion unfortunately) Its under my Neapolitan using Caputo Dough. The pizzas come out great. Only cooks one at a time. It will cook in 2 minutes If you arraigned the wood correctly you can get a nice char on the bottom from moving your logs into the middle then off to the side befer the bake. It always cooks great on top. Terra cota, I do not know how long it will last so we will see. You can bake other things in it as well.
  For the post about what did I learn- Naples is always an experience. That was my 3rd time in Naples 10th time to Italy. I have seen a lot of pizzerias this time the deep fried pizza and calzones at El Presidente was awesome. Ernesto's son was working that night along with his father. His pizzeria was one of the best pizzas I have ever tried ever... The Buffula Mozzarella & Fior di late in Naples surpassed any we get imported into the states. Especially the ones that several VPN's gave me to try..Funny thing that i saw was a pizza made into a stick/lollypop but with pizza ingredients then baked. Someone in the US said they came up with it.. I saw a VPN make one and he had a pic of one he made back in the late 60's maybe  70's..long before the  guys said he made it in the US. I thought that was funny. Glad you liked my book. Thanks. The passion is always great to see when you go into competition in Italy. Seeing pizzaiolo's come from all over to represent is something special. You don' t see that as much in the US competitions. Some VPN's pizzas were wet others were not.. I perfer one that is less wet. That could come from the Mozz, Oil, and bake time. Most of the old timers had there sons working.. I liked that. Now you know we will have another generation of greats. I also learned or at least everyone said there is no school for Neapolitan pizza in Naples.. Several people say they go to school in Naples in publications and get certified. I looked into it and most said no. I am not sure what is going on with that but that was interesting. I know several VPN's and the Naples government is breaking ground on a new University of Neapolitan Pizza. I am off to Atlantic City Pizza Today show, then to Virginia Beach Italian fest right after. If I don't reply back after the weekend. I will in a few weeks.

tony:

i own a cafe in the sf bay area and, after a lengthy battle with city hall, just got my wood burning approved. as a matter of fact, i was able to receive an exemption from many of the county requirements. not sure if you've already explored and exhuasted all of the different avenues, but perhaps i can help out with your sitch by sharing what i did to get my approval - just send me a pm if interested...

btw, congrats on your win!

Offline roksngr

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »
so....anyway....Tony what is up with your new place in Walnut Creek? You there often?

Leigh

Offline Natephish

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2007, 02:45:15 AM »
Congratulations Tony!  That is absolutely amazing!  You are one of my pizza heroes. :)

pizzapan