Author Topic: Tony Gemignani world champion Neapolitan pizza maker  (Read 13334 times)

Offline skywalker

• I'm a llama!
Re: Tony Gemignani world champion Neapolitan pizza maker
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2007, 11:23:13 PM »
Did Marco ever publish his book and what is the title?

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2007, 12:27:19 AM »
NOPE!
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2007, 02:02:42 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from my trip to SF, more accurately, Castro Valley to try Tony G's winning neapolitan pies...I can honestly say that it was among the best I've ever had.  Right up there with Da Michele.

Things were running behind, and I had to wait about an hour and a half for them, but it was well worth it.  He uses a very pliable 00 dough.  I've never seen anything like this, he was still able to manipulate the dough by spinning and stretching!  If I tried that, my fingers would pass right thru it.  Amazing...I know what you're thinking, but be assured the texture and flavor of the dough was still there...I just can't figure out how he achieved that!  Slight chew, yet light and tasty. Good char.

Sauce was spot on, no seeds, (he did a great job of separating) just enough bite and freshness...he does toss a bit of sea salt on the pies after the sauce, and it does make some bites just a tad salty.  The cheese was the only thing that I felt could have been closer to Naples.  It's texture was good, but it didn't seem to have the same slight tang as the Mozzarella Di Buffala (just a personal preference I guess)....he does a good drizzle of olive oil before the bake, and also used torn or cut basil leaves, not whole.  This allowed for better coverage in nearly every bite of the pie.

I'm really glad I had a chance to try this pizza.  I wish he was able to have this oven setup all the time, I'd have a great excuse to return to San Francisco on a regular basis.  Thanks Tony.  The pies are great, and I now understand why you are  at the top of the field.  You live and breathe pizza.  I have some pics I can post next week.

Regards,

Dan in LA
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Seaside Thom

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
Thanks for the scouting report Dan.  For those who didn't make it to Castro Valley, here's and article from the SF Chron about it.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/21/BAK1STL2K.DTL

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
In seeing how Tony was able to spin the skins, I wondered what kind of flour he was using. From the color of the skins, I guessed that he was using a 00 flour, but wondered which brand. Now that I see (from the article linked by Seaside Thom) that the flour was the San Felice 00 flour, that helps explain why he was able to so readily toss the skins.

Peter

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »
I was there and it was very good but definitely not the best I've ever had.  He was giving out samples to people that didn't get on the list and I tried a piece of the first pie out of the oven (that one was just ok) and one about 20 mins later after they got it up another 100 degrees or so.  That one was much better.  I agree there were some bites that were very salty due to him applying a liberal sprinkling of salt to the pie after putting on the tomatoes.

Yes the flour was San Felice, the tomatoes Cento san marzano.. I believe Grande fresh mozz but not sure on that. 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Tony G

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
 Glad some of you were able to make it. Thanks and sorry for the craziness. Here is a re cap. The pizzas came out great. I could have made them better if I was in the right element. Out in the parking lot is a bit different than in a restaurant. The oven was good. I have worked on others that had better insulation. especially in Italy that kept a more steady heat even when you regulate the wood. We did get a draft that came up every now and then. It actually blew so hard once that it burned one of my guys eye lashes off. He was ok and we had a laugh out of it. The guys that supplied the oven were great guys. I used almond which I prefer. Oak burns a little to hot for me especially in that oven. We cooked 2 at a time most of the time. The ideal heat for me that day was about 830. I felt a bit more comfortable when i was working the oven or at least got my hands in there as much as possible. 900 in that oven seemed to be like 1100 sometimes.. I used 100% San Felice. made the dough at 6pm the night before. Cold rise method. in steel pans transfered to wood 7am that morning. Nice to have it a bit cold outside. i put the wood boxes with dough out in the parking lot covered with plastic so they would not get dry from the breeze at about 10am. Nice it was cold that day. I could toss the dough well. Not the traditional Neo slap but as you could see my technique came out fine.. My customers always ask me to toss.. You wouldn't even know.. but thats what they like. I do like my pizzas to have a well balance. Not too much char, Not too soupy and wet, Not too much oil and enough basil.
thanks for the comment about the sauce. I do take time on that nearly 4 hours the day before (me and one of my guy) of prep. Thats just the way I like it. (I know it a bit insane especially from a labor point of view) I blended 3 oils together 2 dop's from Campania with a little bit of a fruity oil from Tuscany. I like the sea salt when you eat my pizza it hits your palate first then you taste the sauce and cheese with the basil and finally the dough at the end. I wish you guys would have mentioned you were with this site. I think I remember one of you that tried my tester (the first pizza that came out of the oven) then we cracked it to 810 or so if we remember. about 100 more degrees and I made another tester which cam out much better. I made 244 pizzas that day went to about 6 instead of 5pm. Lots of support. Evelyn Slomon showed up.. Made hers extra chared like she likes it. I think she like it. Lots of foodies. NY, Oregon, Washington, 3 different people from Los Angelos, flew in from what the people told me.

I do have great news Nate Miley's office (our local area politician)called and left a message that they would help us get our oven and file the necessary paper work. I will let everyone know. Probably the end of next year is when we will start to look into new locations for Pyzano's that I would like to have an upscale pizzeria connected to with the school incorporated into it. Not only am I trying for a wood oven but this restaurant would have  several ovens that showcase the different styles of pizza including coal.. keep your fingers crossed.
     Thanks for your support from most of you. We can always get better at what we do and lets appreciate the others that strive and have a passion for what they do. My own quote I use woth my guys when we compete "Any man can be great but it takes several men to make him the greatest." This site is very informative and is a great learning tool for everyone. Several of you are very intelligent people who dissect pizza in every way. Reading posts on this site is meaningful showcasing true talent. Lets try to keep this site positive with respect for our true love.. PIZZA..

Thanks Tony

My dome was hot 1000.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2007, 11:07:43 AM »
We can always get better at what we do and lets appreciate the others that strive and have a passion for what they do. My own quote I use woth my guys when we compete "Any man can be great but it takes several men to make him the greatest." This site is very informative and is a great learning tool for everyone. Several of you are very intelligent people who dissect pizza in every way. Reading posts on this site is meaningful showcasing true talent. Lets try to keep this site positive with respect for our true love.. PIZZA..

Tony,

Very nicely put.

Peter

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2007, 01:37:19 PM »
Hi All,

Tony's parking lot Neapolitan was a blast. His "pizzeria" set up in 2 parking spaces was great. The weather was beautiful and the pies were flying. I managed to wolf down 2 slices when I got my pie, but had to save the remaining for my staff which loves Tony (especially the women!). He was also passing around slices of his award-winning pizza from the Food Network Pizza Challenge, and I got to have a whole piece instead of the 2 bites I had to judge that pie at the challenge. BTW that pizza is outstanding.

Here are some pictures I took of the event. Enjoy and thanks again Tony--you rock!

Evelyne :pizza:

Note: I removed the small pictures
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:11:30 PM by SLICEofSLOMON »

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2007, 02:07:15 PM »
I'm not sure how to get the pictures larger, here's another try...

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
Much better! Here are the rest... :-D