Author Topic: Re: Source of High-Gluten Flours  (Read 2040 times)

Offline NOLA-Man

Re: Source of High-Gluten Flours
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »
Just found a Bellisimo disributor that carries All Trumps (General Mills High-Gluten) plus a pizza joint let me do cash and carry recently, but in a pinch I'd like to know how it works. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:31:44 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »
NOLA man,  glad to see you are making progress.  just wanted to chime in on the all trumps flour.  If you get a chance to, see if you have the bromated or unbromated version of that flour.  I hate the fact that bromates haven't been banned in this country and will not use bromated flour.  I hate the fact that you never know what your eating when you stop for a slice somewhere.  I know the bromates supposedly disappear chemically at a certain temp,  but there is no need for them to be put in there in the first place if you know what you are doing with baking.  just FYI. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bromate

otherwise enjoy your pizzamaking quest.  you are off to a good start! -marc
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:32:28 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline NOLA-Man

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »
Marc,
Thanks for the link on bromate. To be honest, I don't know if it's bromated or not, since I got a local pizza guy to fill two, 1-gallon ziploc baggies for me. I recently found a Bellissimo food distributor in Houston and they claim to sell All Trumps, so will try to get the non-bromated version when I re-stock. Can't seem to find any KASL locally, any ideas on that? Thanks for the reply.

Bart
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:33:05 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »
Bart,

I went to the professionals section of the King Arthur website and looked to see who in your area sells the KA flours. I found these:

Dawn Food Products, Houston, TX, 800-252-3296
Euromid, LTD, Houston, TX, 800-494-0161

When I originally bought my 50-lb. bag of KASL, I got it from Dawn Food Products just outside of Dallas. I had to open an account to do that, but I was happy to do so since most distributors won't sell to individuals. Not all Dawn locations sell to individuals, so you might call the Houston location and see what their practices are. If they won't sell directly to you, or they have a high minimum purchase requirement, you should ask for names of local bakers or pizza operators in your area who purchase from them and might be willing to buy a bag of KASL for you as part of their next order. You can offer a premium to do this. Most distributors will also sell to individuals who say that they are testing products with the expectation of starting a new business, such as a pizzeria. I don't personally use that approach, but many do.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:33:37 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline NOLA-Man

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
Good to know!! I must have overlooked that search function on the KA site. Thanks for letting me know. I also searched on the PMQ site and found a Roma/VISTAR distributor in Houston that agreed to let me open an account and purchase from them (http://www.romafood.com/houston2/products.cfm). In looking at their flours, they don't seem to carry KASL, but do carry many other brands and types that I have not heard about on the site, such as Assoluti, several types of General Mills in addition to All Trumps, Luigi, and others. Waiting for a sales rep to call me back, but that might be a good resource, although still no KASL!  ??? I'll try the sources you gave and see what I get. Thanks.

Bart
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:34:21 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan