Author Topic: aphids, anybody know how to get rid of aphids on basil?  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Anis

aphids, anybody know how to get rid of aphids on basil?
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »
I have genova basil, it's starting to look bad 'coz I think aphids are causing the leaves to wrinkle.  Does anybody have knowledge about this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. :)

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
Re: aphids, anybody know how to get rid of aphids on basil?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05:54 AM »
Can you see the aphids on the basil? Or do you just think that it might be aphids?

If it is aphids, I guess that the best way would be to use insecticidal soap. Most types should be safe to use on edible plants such as your herbs (but check the label!!). You rinse it off with water afterwards, so I guess it isn't different than doing your dishes with soap.
But some people say that simply a couple of good rinses with clean water can be enough to wash away most of the aphids.

And then there are a of course lot of ancient advice. Some popular ones are that eg. anise, mint and coriander repels aphids. Put these close to your basil and you are done. However I don't believe it myself... Some also say that certain plants attract insects that eat the aphids, but again it probably isn't the most efficient way to get rid of them.

Offline Anis

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:52:58 PM »
vitus,
   thanks for the reply.  I can see the aphids on some leaves, although on some wrinkled leaves I don't see any.  But the leaves that have aphids, it looks like lots of tiny black dots. 
   okay, I'll try to look for a pesticide that can be applied to herbs.  I hope the aphids don't come back after the treatment.  Is applying the pesticide for the aphids a one time thing or do I need to do this regularly? 
   thanks again. :)  I'll post when I get a hold of some pesticide.
-Anis

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »
Ok, looking forward to hearing about your battle against the beasts!  :)

If you are a DIY kind of person, I have heard about people mixing their own stuff from soap, pure alcohol and water. But I don't give any guarantees...  ::)

Being a person who suggests using (mild) insecticides (such as soap), I need to repeat to everyone:
Please, read the label carefully to make sure that it is safe to use. After all, our health is more important than any herb! ;)

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:38:01 AM »
Just mix a little ivory liquid soap in some water and put into a sprayer... mist the plant and be sure to get the underside of the leaves... the soap will smother and kill them, but won't harm you when rinsed and eaten... very organic solution to problem

Offline Anis

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »
I definitely would try the ivory liquid soap tomorrow.  Thanks everybody. :)

Tomorrow I will spray ivory liquid sopa/water solution to the leaves and after that I will fertilize the plants to give it a boost.  The leaves are so small now even though I water it almost everyday.

Offline Amir

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 10:46:04 PM »
You can simply try to wash them with water although in case of basil, they may be too delicate to do that (with high pressure that is).

By the way, do NOT feed them.  It is overfeeding that causes new shoots which they love to go after.  If you feed them gentle organic fertilizer and compost, you have far less problems of this sort.

Offline Anis

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:26:40 AM »
hi everybody,

I'm back.  The soap/water mixture works.  But the aphids are back after two weeks more or less so now I'm scheduling the soap/water spraying to really get rid of them.  I also have another kind of basil (thai basil) that does not have this problem.  I guess the aphids like the genova basil more.  I will post again for results.  Thanks. :)

Anis

I will try to cross breed the two, maybe this time the aphids wont be attracted to the new breed anymore.  I will just plant the genova right next to the thai so they will cross breed somehow.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 01:30:40 PM »
Well...  You could try that...  It seems to me that crossbreeding basil to discourage aphids is like crossbreeding corn so the crows won't eat it. 
I'd just stick with the soapy water.  You have to be vigilante with the applications.  It works for me. 
Good luck.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »
Anis,
If you actually want to try the cross-breeding, two things to remember:
1)  you don't know if the aphid-resistant gene is dominant in the thai, so you could actually be creating a thai that is no longer aphid resistant instead of a genovese that IS resistant
2)  thai basil and genovese basil have very different flavors.  Any cross of the two is most likely going to change the flavor of the progeny.  Are you prepared to sacrifice the true flavors of each to POSSIBLY achieve aphid resistance?

I would suggest sticking with the insecticidal soap... available in any garden shop.  Look for the ones which are a chysanthemum derivative (i.e. natural) and most of which are not harmful to pets or humans... BUT READ THE LABEL to be sure.  Because something is natural does NOT mean it's not harmful... just ask those dead guys who drank hemlock tea!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Anis

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 02:48:04 AM »
yes, the flavor is definitely going to change.  I tried genova basil crossed with thai accidentally, it tastes okay, but not like the uncross bred ones.  I'm also not sure if he had aphid problems or not.  I forgot, I should have asked him about this.  In the meantime I'm sticking with the soap mixture.  thanks.

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 12:45:57 AM »
I know it is a year late but

LADYBUGS LOVE to eat APHIDS

You can order them and spread them out in your garden

pizzapan