Author Topic: The latest batch of pizza from my new oven; please critique  (Read 1529 times)

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
The latest batch of pizza from my new oven; please critique
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »
Cooked in under 2 minutes, don't know exactly how long, but well under. The dough was *perfect* if I do say so myself. It was very strong, but it stretched easily. It was also very burn resistant; the last batches I made would burn quickly at 380C (and not brown properly up top). This batch cooked perfectly with beautiful charring both on top and on the bottom at 400-425C. The pics were taken at least an hour after the pizza was cooked (we made close to 20 pizze, so a few slices left over is OK). The pizza in the pic was one of the worst ones, especially on the bottom, it was a little too charred. The amazing thing is that it didn't taste burnt at all. The rest were really quite perfect, including the tomato on top, which is Solania brand San Marzano DOP. I actually had guests from Italy here, and they were, to my surprise, raving over the pizze. One of them studied in Naples and had his fair share of pizze there. I was blown away when he told me that there are many pizzerie in Italy that don't make good pizza, but that mine were indeed very good. I'm sure I'm still a ways off from perfect pizza napoletana, but this batch made me very, very happy.

I appologize for the poor quality of the pics, better quality ones will be coming shortly. Please let me know what you think!

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: The latest batch of pizza from my new oven; please critique
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
Usually when you burn the bottom crust it adds to the pizzas flavor in a positive way, I know what you mean when you said it didn't taste bad burned.... Sounds like the pies were excellent, can you describe your method of cooking them?? Oven type, temp, pizza stone, ???

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The latest batch of pizza from my new oven; please critique
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:07:19 PM »
The oven is a barrel-type oven, which I gave more details of (and pics) here. They cooked at between 375C and 425C (yes, I mean celsius). The heat was measured by the oven's built-in thermometer, so I don't know how accurate it is, nor do I know whether the temp refers to the air or the stone. I was ready to splurge and buy an IR-thermometer, but from what I've read here, it is just as good, if not better, to go by the cooking time, which was under two minutes. If you take a look at the pictures of the oven at the link above, you will see that there are 2 levels. All the pizze were cooked on the stone on the top level. The reason is that, with a previous batch, the pizze either burned (not charred) at the bottom or stayed white on top when cooked on the bottom stone. Just now, as I write this post, am I realizing that I should have tried cooking one on the bottom stone again, as this batch was much more resistent to burning.