Author Topic: Grilled Pizza --- Getting Started  (Read 2001 times)

Offline spookygrinder

Grilled Pizza --- Getting Started
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:33:17 PM »
Hello all!

I'm an avid home oven pizza maker, but I'm preparing to make the leap ourdoors.  I have a charcoal grill already, and a gas grill coming soon.  The main things I'm wondering...

Is one type of fuel (charcoal or gas) better than another?

Will my stone be safe on both grills?

What sort of preheating times am I looking at?  Seems like a lot of propane is going to be spent on the gas grill if I warm-up for a full half hour.

In my home oven I have a stone on the bottom and a layer of tiles a few racks up for maximum heat distribution -- any ideas on how to set up a gas grill in this way?  Is it even necessary with the higher heat of an outdoor grill?  I saw the youtube viideo someone posted and I'm cursious about some of the gear being used.  Looks homemade.

Lastly, does anyone love or hate their gas grill?  Necessity is causing me to look at the lower end of the price spectrum.  Thinking about a Weber Spirit e 310.

Thanks in advance!
ANdy

Offline Bryan S

Re: Grilled Pizza --- Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 05:21:42 PM »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline spookygrinder

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 05:32:09 PM »
Thanks for the help with dough.  I could still really use some help on technics and set-ups.  Pizza stone or no stone, etc.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the help with dough.  I could still really use some help on technics and set-ups.  Pizza stone or no stone, etc.
I use my Weber gasser because it's quick and easy when getting home from work. When I make my NY style pizzas I use a 16" screen. I preheat the gasser for 15-20 min all 6 burners and the smoker box burner on high (that'll get me 650+ degrees at the lid) while getting everything for the pizza out of the fridge. Carry it all upstairs and stretch the dough, sauce it, grate the cheese and put on the roni then put everything away is about 15 min. I try to wait another 5 or so and toss it right onto the PCI grates. Cook about 5 min and spin it 1/4 turn and cook for another 2-3. When doing a pan pizza or deep dish then I put the stone in on the grates so the bottom doesn't burn before the top gets done and 4 burners on med for about 425-450. Learned the hard way the first time I did a pan pizza on the grill.  :'(
For dough I just my standard Ceresota AP flour no oil no sugar dough, 7-11 day cold ferment in the fridge. Link to that here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5000.0.html
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

pizzapan