Author Topic: Old Caloric stove - hot range surface when OFF?  (Read 5705 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Old Caloric stove - hot range surface when OFF?
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »
We just bought our first house and it has what looks like a 1970s era Caloric range/stove.  The surface of the range between each set of burners  (front to back) is constantly hot to the point where I can't keep my hand on it more than a few seconds.    I can't quite understand what this is (pilot flame??? When we light the burners, there is no click click click, just a second delay and it lights).  Can anyone shed any light on this.

Further, the oven doesn't seem to start.  It worked when we did the inspection but now nothing.  It does seem that gas is coming out when I turn the dial (??????).  Anyone know how these old things work?

We are comtemplating just buying a new one.  As it is this thing stands 36" wide taking up about 6" more room than it needs to.  I haven't made pizza in like 3 weeks!!!!   I would love a new kitchen but that is several years down the road so we have to make this work for a while! :)
Patrick

Offline Bryan S

Re: Old Caloric stove - hot range surface when OFF?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:45:45 PM »
Yep pilot light is why it's hot on top. You should be able to lift up the top and see the pilot light. Lift it from the front and it's on a hinge. As far as the oven goes that has a seperate pilot light. Do you have the bottom broiler? If so open up that door and light the pilot for the oven/broiler. It'll be at the top of the broiler/bottom of the oven. Oven and broiler use the same burner just different doors if this is how your stove is setup? Been awhile since I used one but if memory serves me right.............  :-\HTH, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »
Perfect thanks.  I lifted up the top a nd saw the 2 pilot lights.  The broiler and oven share 1 burner and I think I see the pilot for that also.  I will try to uh... get some long matches before I try lighting that. 

I wonder how much it costs to run 3 pilot lights 24/7?
Patrick

Offline dms

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 11:23:08 AM »
Perfect thanks.  I lifted up the top a nd saw the 2 pilot lights.  The broiler and oven share 1 burner and I think I see the pilot for that also.  I will try to uh... get some long matches before I try lighting that. 

I wonder how much it costs to run 3 pilot lights 24/7?

About $50 a year, for most stoves.  When gas was cheaper, it was much less.  You can probably turn off the pilots for the stove top, and use a match or long lighter to light the burners, if you want.  The oven is a bigger pain to light, of course.

Depending on how old this oven is, there should be a safety device that keeps the gas from flowing when the pilot is off.  Depending on the type, there will be a button on a thermocouple to push to allow gas to flow while you're lighting the oven.  If there's not a thermocouple, there's a flame switch or a fluid safety, and you heat that to get gas to flow. 

Both these systems depend on having the flame high enough to heat the safety device.  If the gas jet is dirty or defective, you may not be able to get it to stay lit.  It's also possible that things have failed, and you'll need parts. 

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »
Thanks guys I got it fired up.  I can't understand how this oven goes from 0 to 500 in just minutes.  I have not timed it yet but I'd say 5-10.  I decided to put it on BROIL and see what happens.  After maybe 25 minutes the oven thermometer was pinned well past 600 and on its way back to 100. Is it normal for these old school ovens to get so hot?  Of course this is sort of enticing for me from everyone I've heard about the amazing pizzas you can make with a very hot oven. 
Patrick

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
If you get rid of it I'll take it  ;D

And if you do replace it, please don't downgrade to a 30" if you have a 36"... you will regret it.  :-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:08:16 AM »
You know it's real funny.. when we moved in  first thing I was thinking JEEZ we're getting a new stove.  Out of curiosity I started googling this old stove and saw everything from people giving them away on craigslist to being sold for $5k on antique appliance websites.  The condition of ours is not amazing but totally usable.  We do not have a lot of counter space and the 36" width really comes in handy. We use the huge space between the burners all the time.  Looking forward to making a pizza in it!
Patrick

pizzapan