Author Topic: Favorite Pepperoni  (Read 67197 times)

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
I just came across some pepperoni at my local Costco called "Liguria?" It was dirt cheap, something like 10 bucks for 5 pounds? I don't recall the actual amount, but it was two huge pouches worth. It wasnt' the best I've had, but on par with store bought hormel. It's on the spicy side. Worth a look IMO.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
I went crazy recently and bought a bunch from the internet. I was looking for pepperoni made the way it was 30 years ago---with a little spice/kick. Here are my opinions of some of my purchases:

Milan Salami Co.-Natural Uncured Pepperoni: Interesting sausage that includes celery juice powder and smoke flavoring. Good taste, but reminds me more of a tasty sausage than a tasty pepperoni. Worth a try though.
Delallo Italian Style Pepperoni: Probably my favorite even without that spiciness I was seeking. This is a good standard pepperoni, probably similar to what one would find In a good pizzeria.
Volpe Gourmet Pepperoni: This is a small 2-2 1/2 inch diameter chub. I normally love Volpe products, but not this. Bit of an off-taste. Bad batch maybe? It came fully vacuumed sealed, so it couldn't of been spoiled, but it just didn't do it for me.
Molinari & Sons Pepperoni: Came close to the best IMHO. Maybe the closest to a good homemade flavor, as opposed to "standard" pepperoni.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Bonici Pizzano by Tyson has a verystrong flavor, very good in my opinion.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
I know that this is an old thread but I am new to the forum and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Ezzo is by far my favorite. It is what we always used when I worked in the business. I can get it in small quantities from a few contacts that I still have, but unfortunately I now live 150 miles away from them. PennMac repackages 1-pound bags of both the 38mm and 51mm sizes as well as sticks. At $4.99/lb. plus shipping it's a little pricey, but worth it IMO. It's vacuum packed so it lasts a long time in the refrigerator.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:36:19 AM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
dellavecchia's post:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17110.msg166536.html#msg166536

about this smoked pepperoni:

http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/Smoked-Pepperoni.html

inspired me to buy a few sticks. Good stuff. Really good stuff. On the spicy side. Here is a shot of some slices on my American-style pizza dough:

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
Bill - You must be sick of hearing kudos, but that shot is magazine worthy. I have to ask: can you go into some detail about your American dough?

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
Bill - You must be sick of hearing kudos, but that shot is magazine worthy. I have to ask: can you go into some detail about your American dough?

John

Thanks, John, for the very kind words. I was working on this dough long before the Neapolitan bug bit me. I've recently pulled my recipe out of the mothballs and am bringing it up to date since my tastes and procedures and skill level have progressed. I will be putting it all together for publication in the near future.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:52:04 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Old Shakeys Cop

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
"When I was a kid, I remember one particular pizza reataurant that used pepperoni that was about the same diameter as a quarter. These little pepperonis would cup when cooked and the rim/edge of the pepperoni would burn ever so slightly. It was the best tasting pepperoni that I can remember."

You could also be describing "Swifts Premium Pepperoni" It was about that size and it was a dark red, spicier than most and it cupped when it cooked because of the natural casing it was made in would shrink when cooked. And yes the edges would get dark and crispy. Still my favorite by far.
Ezzo Supreme Special

--------------------------------------------------------

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
Bill,
 So how did you like the Vt Smoked peperoni you mentioned  spicy  top ten 10 for you  ? I really like it as well whole case is on the way soon.  Also want to try some good spopressatta if anyone can suggest large stick for me to slice up :)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan