Author Topic: Favorite Pepperoni  (Read 60359 times)

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
Re:Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 03:22:55 PM »
Recently at a local store I picked up what looked like a pepperoni stick and noticed that it was Calabrese sausage.  Not ever having tried this I quickly threw it into my cart to add to my goodies.
Forgotten about for a week or so I recovered it from my cupboard last evening for a sample.

Wow ;D I was shocked that I had never had this before. It is very close to pepperoni however  a bit more spicy. Great flavor.
I cannot wait to try it on my next pizza.
I recommend it to all who like pepperoni and are looking for something a little different.
Now I have only tried a sample so far so the jury is still out on whether it will be good on pizza, but I forsee good things to come. ;D

Has anyone else tried this form of salami/sausage.

Actually, to be honest, I believe anyone I would feed this to without telling them what it is would assume that it is just some different brand of pepperoni itself.  
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 12:16:08 PM »
Giovanni,

I will let everyone know what I find out.  However, I suspect that the quantities will be large, particularly for the Ezzo brand.  When I went to the Ezzo website, all I saw was slices, not sticks.  Since they don't sell at the retail level, I can't imagine their packing the pepperoni in small packages.  The Margherita pepperoni, however, is sold in stick form.  It is also sold in slices, in large packages, judging from the product list.

When I spoke to the gal at Ezzo the other day, she said that they don't sell to the big pizza outfits, like Domino's or Pizza Hut.   She said they were a small company.  So it is unlikely that you can go to one of the big guys to buy a pound or so of the pepperoni slices.  I'm guessing that the big pizza companies buy from Hormel, Cudahy and maybe a few mid-sized companies that can supply in volume and with consistent quality.  

Peter

Peter,

What did you find out about the Ezzo pepperoni?

From looking at their website, the 38mm (1.5") product sounds like what I'm looking for (i.e., the calogen casing).

http://www.ezzo.com

13171 - 38mm Calogen Pepperoni 10#
13271 -  38mm Calogen Pepperoni 25#
Made from fresh picnics to ensure the optimum flavor and freshness.  Full muscle product to give the brightest color, and best texture. Clean grind for particle definition and performance. Lean -- the leanest in the industry. Made with whole spices, not liquid - richer flavor. CALOGEN CASING that makes this product cup when cooked.

14261 -  41mm Sliced Pepperoni #25
Made from fresh picnics to ensure the optimum flavor and freshness. Full muscle product to give the brightest color, and best texture. Clean grind for particle definition and performance. Lean -- the leanest in the industry. Made with whole spices, not liquid - richer flavor. This product gives the old world look on the pizza.

15251 -  51mm Sliced Pepperoni #25
Made from fresh picnics to ensure the optimum flavor and freshness. Full muscle product to give the brightest color, and best texture. Clean grind for particle definition and performance. Lean -- the leanest in the industry. Made with whole spices, not liquid - richer flavor. Traditional look on the pizza.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2004, 04:01:57 PM »
Steve,

When I last tried to find out what the minimum purchase requirement was for the Ezzo pepperoni at Pennmac, the gal (Rose) I usually speak with was on vacation.  I left a voicemail at the time to call me if the Ezzo pepperoni was sold in small quanitities.  When I didn't get a reply, I assumed that one would have to buy the pepperoni in a 25-pound quantity--as specified in the Pennmac product list I have.  But, to be on the safe side, I called Rose this afternoon and learned that the minimum purchase quantity for the Ezzo pepperoni is 25 pounds, at $3.99 a pound.  The Pennmac product list shows the 38mm slices and another Ezzo sliced pepperoni, without a thickness specified.  

Pennmac also sells the Margherita pepperoni--a Cudahy product.  I had some of that pepperoni recently while I was in Massachusetts.  I found it in stick form and sliced it for use on pizzas I made for friends.  It's a very tasty (spicy) pepperoni, but I didn't detect the "cup and char" effect that is characteristic of the Ezzo products.

Peter

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 09:26:49 PM »
Yes, I wrote to PennMac and got the same response as you. Sigh. Can't use 25 pounds of pepperoni!!  :o

I contacted Ezzo directly and asked for a sample for review here on the website. We'll see what happens.

On a happy note, PennMac sells the Grande whole milk mozzarella for $3.99/lb. So, looks like I'll be placing an order for a 6# loaf of cheese soon... depending on shipping costs, that is!  :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »
Would anyone be interested in going together on a group purchase of Ezzo? Maybe i could buy 25 pounds, cut it up into say 5 pound portions and then reseal it and ship it out to those who want it.

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2004, 04:13:40 PM »
Count me in!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2004, 05:01:49 PM »
I'm sure many are asking themselves how to store even 5 pounds of pepperoni.  I left a voicemail with Ezzo asking the same question.  While waiting for a response, I called the Hormel consumer hotline and posed the same question.  (Hormel is the brand I primarily use).  I was told that an opened package of sliced Hormel pepperoni (the packages I buy are 8 ounces) will keep for about 21 days in the refrigerator.  After that, it may start to go rancid and darken in color.  It should then be discarded.  If unopened and frozen, the Hormel sliced pepperoni will keep for about 3-4 months.  When I asked whether there would be a degradation in quality after that point, I was told that the color may be a bit darker but the product should be fine.   Although pepperoni is a dried sausage and requires no refrigeration if unopened, I was told that the product should not be used after the "use by" date on the package.   I couldn't find that date on the opened package I have in the refrigerator, but it's possible that it was on the strip that I tore off the package.

What would be helpful is to know how the Ezzo pepperoni is packaged and whether it is readily divisible without degrading the quality or keeping characteristics of the product.  Hopefully I will get an answer on this from Ezzo.

Peter

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2004, 05:19:54 PM »
Can you imagine how many pizzas you could make with 5 pounds! It's worth the money too me just to see what the quaility is like. If i have to throw some out no big deal. If we can get 5 people on board (including me) I'm willing to make the purchase. Of course i would want for anyone who is interested to paypal me $20 to help cover the product cost and shipping fees. I think that would be fair.

Offline PizzaGuy37

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2004, 02:50:22 AM »
"On a happy note, PennMac sells the Grande whole milk mozzarella for $3.99/lb. So, looks like I'll be placing an order for a 6# loaf of cheese soon... depending on shipping costs, that is! "

Damn, one of the only times I am glad I live in Wisconsin.  I can get the same cheese for $2.42 / LB

:)

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »
My wife picked up some pepperoni at our local supermarket which I sliced myself and put on my pizzas this weekend. Although there is no mention of "calogen casing" on the label, the little pepperonis did "cup" when cooked!  :D

My kids (and myself) really liked this pepperoni. I personally feel that it was far superior Hormel pepperoni, a brand that I use quite frequently. The kids really liked the fact that the pepperoni "cupped" when cooked, so did I!

The brand of this pepperoni was Fiorucci.
http://www.fioruccifoods.com/our-products/pepperoni.html

I used a package of their "Link Pepperoni". The diameter of the product was approximately 1.4".
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 07:49:49 AM by Steve »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2004, 11:29:14 AM »
I called Ezzo again this morning to ask about the 38mm pepperoni slices and their shelf life, before and after the package (containing 25 pounds of slices) is opened.  I was told that once the package of slices is opened and the slices are stored in the refrigerator, the shelf life is about a week or two.  However, if the package is opened and the slices are tightly wrapped and frozen, the shelf life should be about 6 months (about the same as freezing the unopened package).

Peter  

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2004, 11:59:53 AM »
I would like to see someone with one of those food saver "vacuum sealers" buy a 25 pound bag of this pepperoni, split the bag into 5 pound vacuum sealed portions, and resell them to the interested forum members. Not sure how that would work with shipping. Would they have to be frozen then shipped with dry ice?

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2004, 12:33:11 PM »
My grande cheese came inside a box with those 'foam peanuts'. It was shipped next day and without the dry ice the cheese was still fairly cool to the touch. With a vaccum sealer I wonder if temperature would make a difference (ie, no air = no spoil). I guess someone would have to find out some info on spoilage. This is probably less of an issue now that winter is upon us, at least for those of us not living in the south.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2004, 01:55:19 PM »
Steve,

I like your idea about using a food saver vacuum sealer.  When I couldn't find anything exactly on point when I did a Google search this afternoon, I called the customer service department of Tilia, Inc., the company (located in San Francisco) behind the Food Saver vacuum sealer that is sold on QVC and through infomercials.  (The Food Saver brand of vacuum sealer was the first unit of the kind and is apparently the biggest seller).

I told the gal I spoke with exactly what we would like to do with the pepperoni slices and asked her whether their unit could do the job (i.e, vacuum seal several smaller packages of the pepperoni slices that could then be frozen or shipped).  She had to go offline for a few minutes to get the answer but came back with a yes answer and also gave specific steps to follow to vacuum pack the individual packages of pepperoni slices.  She said that since pepperoni slices contain fat that can be sucked up into the machine during vacuum processing (and possibly clog things up), the way to prevent this from happening is to take a paper towel, fold it several times in accordian fashion, and put the paper towel so formed across the width of the sealing bag directly in front of the pepperoni slices in the bag.  She said to allow about 3 inches of sealing bag space in front of the paper towel.  The paper towel serves as a barrier and absorbs whatever fat might be pulled out of the pepperoni slices (which I imagine would be quite small).  Once the air is evacuated, then the individual bags of pepperoni slices can be frozen or, if desired, shipped.  She said that the slices should be OK at that point since there is no oxygen in the bags.  I might be inclined to freeze and then ship, just to be on the safe side, especially for shipment to a warm climate, such as in Texas where I live.  

Peter
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 02:09:23 PM by Pete-zza »

JAG

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2004, 03:09:09 PM »
Hello, this is my first time writing, but have been an avid reader for a long time. First let me say what a great forum this is and that my pizza making has improved 10x since I have been reading the great ideas, recipes and concepts.
Since I have taken so much from everybodies ideas and recipes I would like to give a little back. I have an in with the industry and can acquire some toppings that many would like to compare side by side. This includes Escalon, Stanislaus, and Red Gold. I am also located very close to Ezzo (I will be attempting to acquire samples from them soon).
This may not be suitable to most because of the quantities (i.e. industry standard #10 cans) and shipping costs, but if anybody would like me to check for availability and shipping, just let me know.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2004, 08:18:04 PM »
Jag:

It is very nice of you to offer the help with the sauces. :)
I can obtain two of them myself but would be interested in Stanislaus.
If you could, let me know about the shipping costs and availability of the Stanislaus products when you get a chance.
Feel free to email me or post the information.

Thank you
JW Bingen
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2004, 10:03:25 AM »
If JAG doesnt come through for you guys i just got my shipment of Stanislaus Full Red yesterday... 6 #10 cans! One can is already spoken for but i could part ways with a couple more. I also ordered the Stanislaus 7/11 but the place I ordered from shipped me Angela Mia brand instead. I was a little pissed off about that but i didnt really need it anyway. The full red should make for a great sauce by itself.

I visited my local GFS yesterday and they do not carry any pepperoni. I had read online that they carry a rebranded Ezzo.

Offline pizzaqueen

• I Love to Ship to Pizza Makers!!!!
    • Pennsylvania Macaroni Co.
Ezzo 51mm Sliced Pepperoni in 1lb vacuum packed packages $3.99
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »
Something new for Penn Mac pizza makers!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:16:14 AM by pizzaqueen »
Pizza Queen Jr.

Offline colossus

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
I happened to remember another very good brand of pepperoni--one that I used many times on pizzas while I was in the Northeast part of the country.  It is called Margherita.  Until I did some online searching today, I didn't know that the Margherita pepperoni is made by Patrick Cudahy, one of the better known suppliers to professional pizza makers.  The Margherita pepperoni comes in stick form, in regular and spicy (hot).  I know for certain that it is available in retail outlets in the Northeast part of the country, and I suspect that it is offered elsewhere also.  I have also seen it offered at several places over the Internet. 

Margherita is the pepperoni of choice in most Buffalo pizzerias. For me, I use the stick, cut thickly w/the food processor. Curls up very nicely. The pre-sliced doesn't come out the same, it's much softer than the stick so it's a safe bet you'll taste a difference too.

I worked at one place that used Hormel- absolutely no comparison. Margherita is much much better. It wasn't easy to find when I lived in Annapolis, but one day I found the sticks at BJ's Club.  I've never seen the spicy variety here in the Buffalo area, but the 'normal' one is pretty darn zippy- probably all the salt amplifies the taste? You can find the stuff everywhere up here, all the big-name supermarkets carry it.

I found a local pizza supply place that's carries Ezzo...since my wife was kind enough to buy a chest freezer, I'll take the smallest I can get...good thing I've got Good Friday off.

If there's a unless it's a 25# box minimum, I'll order some from Pennmac to compare the two. I'll put it next to the bag of Caputo I got from them last week :)

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
Re: Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 01:34:44 PM »
The only kind I ever use is Boar's Head in a stick purchased at our local Publix. I slice it very thin. We find it not too spicy and not too greasy.   
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.