Author Topic: Favorite Pepperoni  (Read 59149 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Re:Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
Margherita is the pepperoni of choice in most Buffalo pizzerias.

I live in NE Ohio

Margherita (spelling-?) pepperoni is plentiful here and not expensive at all - it's what I've been using for about one year. No complaints

Offline colossus

Re: Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
The thing I hate the most about this forum is that I CANNOT read it w/out wanting more pizza. Bastards!

The local pizza supply place has Ezzo pepperoni repackaged as a different brand. I got a 10# box of 38mm for ~$28 and, nicely enough, a 5# bag of shredded Sorrento mozz for $9.

Margherita is definitely heavier on the grease, but has a much zippier (more salt, probably) taste. My son, having grown up w/his mom in the Binghamton area, prefers the Ezzo even though our favorite pizzeria (and me!) uses Margherita. Ezzo is much better 'raw', you can definitely taste the better meats. Nice curled/burnt edge too.

I'd gladly take Ezzo in place of Margherita, which is high praise from me. If you're on the fence, it's worth a try. I'll definitely keep using this stuff.

The 10# box will be kept in a chest freezer; I don't know if I'll use all of it in six months, but if it lasts longer, I'll let everybody here know.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »
Anyone know what brand Pizza Hut uses? I like theirs, its thin, a touch crispy too..

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »
I'm partial to Applegate Farms pepperoni.  Great flavor and 100% natural.  I've been able to find it on both coasts at co-ops and specialty stores generally around $8 - $9/#.  The packaged stuff is a bit thin for me, but if the place has a well stocked deli (i.e. a variety of high end salamis, prosciutto/serano, etc.) most seem to have it.  Their black forest ham is also a favorite of mine.  At $11/# it's a bit pricey, but well worth the splurge.

Paul

Offline tomfoolery_79

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »
Hormel has to be the WORST pepperoni ever.  First of all it's orange, not red.  Secondly, often times you can see a large amount of fat globules pre-baking.  More importantly it just tastes bad.  Unfortunately since I'm in Cincinnati it's the only choice at many groceries.  However, I have had a chance to use Boar's Head and it's very good (more expensive of course).  I can only find it at upscale Kroger's.  I plan to make my way up to Jungle Jim's at checking out different brands.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
i wonder how hard it would be to make pepperoni?
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »
these guys make my new favorite pepperoni.  Its amazingly good,  smoked and nice and spicy.  I get it at a local butcher shop in NH for 699 a pound.  They are not showing it on thier website yet,  but I am sure that if you called them they would know about it.  If anyone tries some,  I would love to hear what you think.  Also,  everthing I have tried from this somkehouse is very good or better.                               

http://ncsmokehouse.com/index.php     

-marc

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
That last post reminded of a couple that I have tried recently that were really great...both from Vermont and both are smoked

Dakin farm in Vermont makes one that is "corn-cob smoked". I tried to find it on their site but only found samplers...Their ham is really great too.

http://www.dakinfarm.com/xq/aspx/paging.yes/dept_id.84/display_id.1155/qx/Product.htm

And another one is the Vermont Smoke and Cure co. I only tried this one once, and the grocery store stopped carrying it...but this was really good too.

http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/smoked-pepperoni-natural-c-253.html

Pete-zza maybe you could smoke some down in Texas with all that Hickory that you have!

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »
I have tried that vt smoke and cure and it was very good,  just not as amazing as the nc smokehouse.  I'll keep an eye out for the other brand.  Either way,  if you haven't tried a smoked roni pie,  you really should....  -marc

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
i wonder how hard it would be to make pepperoni?

I bookmarked this link a while back but haven't tried it yet, think I found it thru the forum so maybe someone else has.

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/tammys_spicy_pepperoni

Looks pretty easy and adjustable and I'm sure the liquid smoke could be left out and the logs cooked on a smoker. 

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »
i agree...smoked pepperoni is really great. I knew a guy who started smoking his own bacon and other meats...he used a weber grill and a trash can...

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Foog

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »
Just personal preference but I abhor Bridgeford's pepporoni

Aaron

Offline petef

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 04:10:09 AM »
Just personal preference but I abhor Bridgeford's pepporoni

Aaron

Aaron, Brigeford's is my favorite because it's not too hard and I just like the taste.
I use a sharp knife and run a slit in the casing lengthwise and then peel off the casing.
I'm not cooking it on my pizza, but I like to eat it sliced with cheddar cheese & hot peppers.

Which characteristics make you dislike Bridgeford's pepporoni?
Which brand is your favorite and why?

Different strokes for diferent folks, but it's useful to know the reasons. :)

---pete---

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
I can't say I abhor Bridgeford's brand since I would eat it if there wasn't any alternative, but it isn't that great when compared to Boar's Head (which I can get at Publix) and, my favorite, Molinari's from San Francisco which I order online from igourmet.com.
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Mo

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009, 09:29:42 PM »
I bookmarked this link a while back but haven't tried it yet, think I found it thru the forum so maybe someone else has.

Looks pretty easy and adjustable and I'm sure the liquid smoke could be left out and the logs cooked on a smoker. 

Most dry-cured meats entail a somewhat difficult and lengthy process. In addition to sodium nitrites and nitrates, beneficial bacteria has to be incorporated into the grind to produce lactic acid which will prevent spoilage. Cure times vary between several days to weeks and longer. Hot smoking pepperoni is an option but is not traditional. There is a great book called Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn which may tell you all you need to know about salting, curing and smoking foods...

I have done a lot of curing and smoking and while not insanely difficult, it is certainly one of those skills that, the more you learn, the more you realize you have to learn...But, there is nothing like frying up a slice of your own cured and smoked pork belly....

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2009, 03:04:45 AM »
i agree...smoked pepperoni is really great. I knew a guy who started smoking his own bacon and other meats...he used a weber grill and a trash can...
Actually, real pepperone is not smoked.

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
I was able to get some Molinari's pepperoni from my local Central Market, diced it up and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best flavor by far from anything I have tried before.  Held up well to high heat and very little oil.  Also tasted great as a snack on crackers with cheese.  I'm sold. ;D

Pete W

Offline madjack

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »

Did you end up trying this yet? I think I might start a batch tonight, just to see...

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2009, 07:52:32 PM »
I can't say I abhor Bridgeford's brand since I would eat it if there wasn't any alternative, but it isn't that great when compared to Boar's Head (which I can get at Publix) and, my favorite, Molinari's from San Francisco which I order online from igourmet.com.

I second a vote for Boar's Head.  I love both their pepperoni and their mozz.  Have the deli person slice it super thin and it will crisp up nicely.  They're nice and wide (in diameter) too.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
This weekend I bought a jumbo stick of Bridgeford, and while at first it seemed like an ok pepperoni, I noticed that when it was cooked it was very salty but lacked flavor that I have come to expect from other brands.    A few friends even asked if I changed the pepperoni because they missed the old one.   Oops!

pizzapan