Author Topic: Favorite Pepperoni  (Read 56807 times)

Offline pcuezze

Re: Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2009, 11:07:09 PM »
I hope I can have some valuable input on this subject.  I'm opening a pizzeria (open February 1) and have spent a great deal of time researching pepperoni trying to find a good and unique variety.  First, regarding hormel's regular pepperoni, there is a drastic difference between what you can buy at the grocery store and what pizzerias use.  Hormel's commercial product is refrigerated and perishable.  Honestly, it doesn't even taste like a similar product.   I ordered the Ezzo and it was ok but a little to bold IMO.  Volpi from Saint Louis was really good as well (and my favorite) but a little tough for most people's liking.  However, over the weekend, the Hormel rep in Kansas City gave me a sample of their Rosa Grande pepperoni.  It's a completely separate product designed for pizzerias in the Ohio/Michigan region.  It is coarse, narrow, and cups beautifully on a pizza (assuming you think a puddle of grease in each slice is beautiful).  Nobody is using this product in Kansas City and I'm really considering it.  It is stronger than the regular hormel but not so strong as to offend.  My only concern is the size and price - I won't be able to pile pepperoni on the pizza the way some other pizzerias do. 

I'm not sure if the Rosa Grande is available anywhere, but if so it's worth a comparison. 

Patrick Cuezze
Next Door Pizza (coming soon)

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2009, 11:31:15 PM »
Hi, why don't you try using soppressata instead of pepperoni, it is a much better product!  That grease in the pepperoni and all that mozzarella is a heart attack on a plate.

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
@pcuezze

I just tried the GFS store brand pepperoni and was pleasantly surprised by how much better than the grocery store stuff it is. It comes out to about 17 cents to totally cover a 14" pizza.

I just posted a topic about it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9628.0.html
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline thirty0six

Re:Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
When I was a kid, I remember one particular pizza reataurant that used pepperoni that was about the same diameter as a quarter. These little pepperonis would cup when cooked and the rim/edge of the pepperoni would burn ever so slightly. It was the best tasting pepperoni that I can remember.

I picked up a stick at Lucca Ravioli Co. on Valencia St in San Francisco recently.  Not only does it taste "real" and delicious, but it curled up when cooked just like so many of us recall from childhood.  It is entirely worth it to use ingredients from artisan producers unless you're selling slices for $2.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
You know... My wife was at Aldi shopping one day and came across pepperoni that they have. Believe it or not.. It wasn't bad at all!!! I liked it more then the Hormel pepperoni!!!
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
The best pepperoni is small batch, homemade...It is not that tough to do and you get your own unique flavor...Randy
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline RichC

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
I bookmarked this link a while back but haven't tried it yet, think I found it thru the forum so maybe someone else has.

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/tammys_spicy_pepperoni

Looks pretty easy and adjustable and I'm sure the liquid smoke could be left out and the logs cooked on a smoker. 

I just used this recipe to make a batch of pepperoni, that I hope to use on my Super Bowl Pizza's
After mixing and before chilling, the scent of the meat was unmistakenly a pepperoni smell.
I used a 93/7 beef.  I was tempted to use a 96/4 that a local supermarket had on the shelf,
but thought that the 5.99/# was a bit pricey.  Maybe next time.  I will post later on the taste both
raw and cooked on the pies.

Offline harrisa

• Aaron's Pizza Page
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
I second a vote for Boar's Head.  I love both their pepperoni and their mozz.  Have the deli person slice it super thin and it will crisp up nicely.  They're nice and wide (in diameter) too.

I third Boar's Head Pepperoni and Mozzarella.  However instead of the thin and crispy, I slice mine thick and juicy.  I figure since I drain my sausage very well, I need to replace the fat somehow :)

aa
Bored?

Visit  Aaron's Pizza Page

to see how I went from cooking Chef Boyardee to a WFO in 5 years

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
anyone in on the columbus brand.  killer imo  -marc

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »
The only kind I ever use is Boar's Head in a stick purchased at our local Publix. I slice it very thin. We find it not too spicy and not too greasy.   

I have tried several different brands of pepperoni locally and none taste as good as Boar's head.  It's got a little kick to it and not too greasy.  Their mozz also has better flavor and melts better than other block mozz I've tried.

I've also tried their hot soprasetto (sp?) and its good but not like their pepperoni.

Also whether using pepperoni or sausage, the meat flavor benefits from a bit of fat or grease.  If you drain it of all the grease, it's not as flavorful IMO.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:54:10 PM by Tranman »

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
A few weeks ago I went to Jimmy's Food Store in Dallas and bought two stick of Pepperoni. I bought a 1# stick of Margherita and 1 stick 1.70# of Ciao pepperoni. The Margherita was by far the best tasting pepperoni of the two and by far the best I have ever had. The price is roughly $7 per pound and the Ciao is $4.99. Boar's Head has a good tasting pepperoni, but I am sold on the Margherita. The Ciao was way too greasy with little flavor, though I am stuck with it until I make another run to Jimmy's. I find that the more its cooked the better the flavor which is disappointing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:45:11 PM by J. Michael »
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline gourmetcook

Re:Favorite Pepperoni
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
When I was a kid, I remember one particular pizza reataurant that used pepperoni that was about the same diameter as a quarter. These little pepperonis would cup when cooked and the rim/edge of the pepperoni would burn ever so slightly. It was the best tasting pepperoni that I can remember.

Ezzo Supreme Special

--------------------------------------------------------

Burns charcoal black around the edges and a little hotter seasoning. This product was developed for the Buffalo, NY but is very popular in the Midwest as well.  Once again the base meat block is key to product consistency.  Very good  --  everyone should try it.

Offline BigFatPizzaGuy

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »
boars head

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2010, 03:29:04 PM »
sams club margherita pepperoni.  very meaty, correctly spiced, not too greasy.  very excellent pepperoni, but small slices.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Reggiano

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
Pete-zza, I have been using Margherita brand Pepperoni for the last several year's, and have found that it is a exceptional product, as far as finished taste is concerned, but have also noted, that it Bleeds Out quite a bit, and tend to pool in the center of the pie, with temps hovering around the 525-550 range. Sams Club carries it pre- sliced., in 3 lb Vac Packs.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
I just came across some pepperoni at my local Costco called "Liguria?" It was dirt cheap, something like 10 bucks for 5 pounds? I don't recall the actual amount, but it was two huge pouches worth. It wasnt' the best I've had, but on par with store bought hormel. It's on the spicy side. Worth a look IMO.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
I went crazy recently and bought a bunch from the internet. I was looking for pepperoni made the way it was 30 years ago---with a little spice/kick. Here are my opinions of some of my purchases:

Milan Salami Co.-Natural Uncured Pepperoni: Interesting sausage that includes celery juice powder and smoke flavoring. Good taste, but reminds me more of a tasty sausage than a tasty pepperoni. Worth a try though.
Delallo Italian Style Pepperoni: Probably my favorite even without that spiciness I was seeking. This is a good standard pepperoni, probably similar to what one would find In a good pizzeria.
Volpe Gourmet Pepperoni: This is a small 2-2 1/2 inch diameter chub. I normally love Volpe products, but not this. Bit of an off-taste. Bad batch maybe? It came fully vacuumed sealed, so it couldn't of been spoiled, but it just didn't do it for me.
Molinari & Sons Pepperoni: Came close to the best IMHO. Maybe the closest to a good homemade flavor, as opposed to "standard" pepperoni.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Bonici Pizzano by Tyson has a verystrong flavor, very good in my opinion.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
I know that this is an old thread but I am new to the forum and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Ezzo is by far my favorite. It is what we always used when I worked in the business. I can get it in small quantities from a few contacts that I still have, but unfortunately I now live 150 miles away from them. PennMac repackages 1-pound bags of both the 38mm and 51mm sizes as well as sticks. At $4.99/lb. plus shipping it's a little pricey, but worth it IMO. It's vacuum packed so it lasts a long time in the refrigerator.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:36:19 AM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
dellavecchia's post:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17110.msg166536.html#msg166536

about this smoked pepperoni:

http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/Smoked-Pepperoni.html

inspired me to buy a few sticks. Good stuff. Really good stuff. On the spicy side. Here is a shot of some slices on my American-style pizza dough:

pizzapan