Author Topic: Does Slow Food have a chance in the USA ?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Does Slow Food have a chance in the USA ?
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:45:12 PM »
Seems like this week I read three consecutive Pizza related articles that  just confirmed my believe that artisan produced food in this country only fights a continued uphill battle, and government meddles too much in our lives.Links to the full articles supplied and should IMO be read / viewed in full.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/15/FDAURG7UG.DTL

"They make lots of pizzas - New York, Californian and their own fully loaded American-style Pyzano's pie - but not the Neapolitan.That's because Pyzano's doesn't have a wood-fired oven, the only kind that gets hot enough - 900 degrees - to give Neapolitan pizza its classic blister and char. Like many urban areas, Alameda County restricts wood ovens to cut pollution.In Pyzano's gas oven, which tops out at around 600 degrees, Gemignani's margherita bakes to a golden crispness. It's delicious - but not what Naples has in mind when it comes to pizza."  :(

www.sfbi.com/FileUpload/files/SFBINewsSUM07.pdf

Fight the trans fat free madness ( with thanks to Lydia ) ::)

and lastly this video profile  :'(   

http://www.azstarnet.com/accent/185164

Is this a pizzeria or a government test lab.

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline DWChun

Re: Does Slow Food have a chance in the USA ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:44:10 AM »
Regulating bodies and government certainly put obstacles for artisan efforts but another thing to consider is the relative ignorance of the general population to artisanal approaches for cooking. Combined with palates that are used to processed and mass produced food, you get a struggle on two fronts with regulations that hinder artisan food making as well as a generally low demand for artisan food due to lack of awareness or lack of appreciation.

DW

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:10:40 AM »
Did you spot the bags of Caputo under the counter at the end of the video?
Trosenberg

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »
It's a mess, that's for sure.. :(
when I became head chef at a French Restaurant back in the early 70s I really thought people were finally learning about food..it seems to me that now things are regressing back to the 60s..
I live in a small town now where Burger king rules and the 3 Pizza places are so bad that I have givin up all hope..even if a good place were to open here it would fold in a year just because no one really cares if it's good or bad..
Pizza Rocks

pizzapan