Author Topic: Headed to Denver  (Read 9308 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Headed to Denver
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
David,  Thanks for the clarification,  I am headed back to denver again for CEDIA in early september.  It is very likely with the crew I am going to be with that we'll be able to dine at this place twice in a week.  I will be sure to review it when I get back.  -marc

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
I just tried Marco's coal fired today.. actually didn't see it mentioned on here until now.  I drove past it leaving a ball game once and finally got a chance to go back today.  It was great, best in Denver by far (I'll add a "so far" just in case as I'm always trying new places). 

They are a traditional pizza napoletana, down to the oven, ingredients (caputo, etc), process, etc.  Very good and worthy of a try.  The decor is also very nice.  I didn't get a chance to snap any pics or anything like that but I will go back at some point and take some.  One more thing to note, the pizzas aren't really cooked in coal fired ovens.. He is using wood and I think he might throw some coal in there or uses the 2nd oven with coal for the wings and other things like that.  They are Acunto ovens (stamped "Acunto Napoli" right on the front) and you can see the stack of wood underneath.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »
Holy smokes, I can't believe that there's another "Marco's" on Larimer Street.  It sounds great, I'll give it a try this week.

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 02:42:27 AM »
I just tried Marco's coal fired today.. actually didn't see it mentioned on here until now.  I drove past it leaving a ball game once and finally got a chance to go back today.  It was great, best in Denver by far (I'll add a "so far" just in case as I'm always trying new places). 

They are a traditional pizza napoletana, down to the oven, ingredients (caputo, etc), process, etc.  Very good and worthy of a try.  The decor is also very nice.  I didn't get a chance to snap any pics or anything like that but I will go back at some point and take some.  One more thing to note, the pizzas aren't really cooked in coal fired ovens.. He is using wood and I think he might throw some coal in there or uses the 2nd oven with coal for the wings and other things like that.  They are Acunto ovens (stamped "Acunto Napoli" right on the front) and you can see the stack of wood underneath.

- aba
You officially hold the title as our coast to coast pizzeria tester. I noticed you certainly get the jump on any new openings regardless of location. :)

Sounds like this guy is doing it right and is passionate about his work. First reviews I've found are very positive.
Did you find it a step up from Pizzeria 712?

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »
Seems Marco's Coal Fired Pizza hired Roberto Caporuscio to oversee the kitchen. I'm assuming as a consultant.
Scroll down for article at below link.
http://www.westword.com/2008-07-03/restaurants/borrowers/1

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 09:21:48 AM »
I finally made it back to the correct "Marco's".  This place is great!  I can say without hesitation that Marco's is by far Denver's best pizzeria.  Caputo 00, Acunto ovens, 60-second bakes, San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozz & buffalo mozz, Italian salamis, fork mixers, etc. ... all of the stuff you expect to see in a traditional Neapolitan pizzeria. 

The pizza part of the menu is organized into two parts -- Neapolitan pizzas and NY pizzas.  When my wife and I visited, we ordered one of each, and they both were excellent, with good texture and charring.  The toppings were plentiful and of high quality.

The owner, Marco, is passionate about pizza and has done all of the right things.  When he found out that I am a pizza enthusiast, he gave me a tour of both the prep area and the open kitchen.  When I told him that I had not yet tried making pizza with Caputo 00, he plied me with five pounds of the stuff in a plastic bag, and then Roberto, the consultant from Naples in the Caputo 00 garb, told me that I should make the pizza a little bit thicker than usual to compensate for the low temperature in my home oven.  The basement of the restaurant is huge, and contains a giant fork mixer, a walk-in stuffed with imported Italian goodies, and racks of dough balls undergoing their two-day room temperature rise.  Back upstairs in the kitchen, Marco's staff demonstrated the traditional dough-slapping technique (which I've never seen before in the U.S.) and the 60-second bake time.  Marco confirmed that all of his pizzas are made with a wood-fired oven at 900+ degrees, and that coal is used in a second Acunto oven for appetizers.  We were provided with the results of said demonstration in a take-out box, which reheated nicely in my home oven.

I hope Marco's is a big success here, because Denver really needs a great pizzeria, and it looks like it finally has one.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:30:50 AM by Grog »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »
Nice detailed review, Grog.

Thanks  :D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »
Check out these ovens. Out of curiosity anyone have a ballpark figure on what they cost?
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/G6ckyL7AK1qNyRop7xHa4g?select=8eW-lHyu7EEJKkESijNIow

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
Ate at Via Baci this week and was very pleased.  Can't compare to others in the area since it was convenient to my hotel but it was very good.  I would go back any time!

Pete

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 02:25:35 AM »
pwaldman: Via Baci is ok/good, I have been there a couple times.  Marco's is definitely the reigning Denver champ tho. 

robert40: Yes, I think Marco's is a step up from Pizzeria 712.  And yeah, I try to get good pizza anywhere I go and will definitely go out of my way for it... so far I have NorCal (easily a couple dozen here), phoenix, salt lake / orem, las vegas, chicago, denver (at least a dozen), boston, new york, maine, and some more I'm forgetting (not memorable I guess).

On the list next is Chicago (again), NYC (again), Connecticut, Vermont (American Flatbread), Pittsburgh, and Los Angeles...  Will most likely hit all of those except LA on another road trip next spring (this time a 4 or 5 week instead of 2 which is not enough time to drive the 4500 miles we did last time).

Grog: Did you notice that "giant fork mixer" is a Pietroberto?  :-)  He spared no expense on that restaurant, really hoping it will succeed.  Will probably try to go again on Labor Day if they are open (before the Rockies/Giants game). 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Major Icehole

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »
Just wanted to add another recommendation for Marco's here in Denver. By far the best pizza I've had in a restaurant anywhere in Colorado.  I need an oven like that.

Offline garyd

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:18 AM »
As a native of Denver I need to chime in here. One place not mentioned that makes an excellent pizza is Parisi's on 44th and Tennyson. They use a wood fired oven and they put out some tasty pies. Their mozz is unbelievable. I actually prefer Parisi to Marco's. The owner Simone Parisi was born in Florence and raised in Tuscany. As far as Marco's goes, I am not as enthusiastic about it as the reviews here. I have eaten there about 7 times and I think the pizza is hit or miss. Sometimes his crust just tastes like salt and flour and they can come out raw on the inside. They are also stingy with the cheese on the pizza's using the Bufala and mozz. They are also skimpy on the sauce and what they do have doesn't always taste very good. They are also stingy with the basil leaves. On the Margarita they will only give you one or 2 small leaves on the who pie! They also use Marczyk's sausage. Yuk!  Denver italians know the only sausage is Clydes. I do like their 2 white pizza's.

These reviews have focused mainly on wood fired Neapolitan pizza but there are other varieties of pizza in Denver that are very good. There is MICI on 15th and Stout St and in Cherry Creek. They make excellent thin crust pizza, especially the DiGirolomo. There is Virgilio's Pizza, across the street from The Oven. That owner used to work at Peppe's in Connecticut. There is Famous Pizza on Broadway. They make a good New York style pizza. So does Two Fisted Mario's on Market Street.

It was mentioned that Denver was a vast wasteland when it comes to pizza. This is true now but this wasn't always the case. When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's there was several excellent pizza's in Denver. The best in my opinion was Jenny's Pizzeria which became Valente's, there was also Gaetano's, Carbone's (Papa Rox), Cugina, Pietro's, Patsy's, Carl's Pizza, Bob's Pizza, Edgewater Inn, Papa's Pizza, Piccolo's, and Villa Napoli. We even had an original Pizzeria Uno in the early 80's. Some of these places have went out of business and others have just went down hill either when they were sold or taken over by their kids and ruined. Jenny's/Valente's was great until about the mid 80's when the son's took over. They finally went out of business last fall.

parallei

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
I finally made it to Marco’s Coal Fired Pizzeria here in Denver.  I’m no expert when it comes to Neapolitan pizza (too much time in northern Italy I guess, but we’re hoping to fix that in the Spring), but I thought it was excellent.  I had their Campania (bufala, San Marzano, Basil, EVO).  The crust seemed perfect, with generous and top-notch ingredients and the wait staff was very pleasant.  Plus, they have a great deal on lunch: a Margherita (no bufala), salad and soft drink for $9.  Tough to beat in this town.

The owner stopped by to see how we liked the pizza, and I remarked that I wished I could do the same in my home oven.  A brief discussion followed concerning flours and ovens. As we left, he handed me a kilo of Caputo 00 to try at home.  What’s not to like about a place like that?  So I made dough last night with the Caputo and will bake ‘em up this evening……