Author Topic: Fage Table top 840 degree electric oven for home use  (Read 4210 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Fage Table top 840 degree electric oven for home use
« on: September 04, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »
Ok, I know I am going to be flamed by the wood burners out there telling me that you need the convection etc. to do a proper neapolitan pizza.  That may be true, but I have been shocked to find that I can do a better neapolitan pizza in my home oven on the cleaning cycle than any of the pizzerias I have visited in the US except for Il Pizzaiolo in Pittsburgh.  From what I can tell, a 1.5 minute bake even in a home oven is really really good, and at least closer to the quality seen in naples than 99% of the wood burning ovens I have found here in the US. 

I have recently been doing a bunch of resarch for a pizzeria that has hired me as a consultant to help them improve their products.  They are unable to fit a wood burning oven in their pizzeria, but in my searches for ovens that might allow them to do a faster bake than a traditional deck oven I found a line of electric ovens that should be able to do a pizza in roughly 1-2 minutes. The company has a number of professional models, plus a small home oven that is only $600, but the shipping from Italy makes it very expensive. Still for many of us on the forum a portable $2500 oven that can do a 1:30 minute pizza and be used indoors without wood might be a very interesting prospect. 

Supposedly someone in Colorado has already ordered one of these for their home, so hopefully they will come on the forum with pictures of their finished product. The big question is how evenly this oven does bake at max temps.  I am assuming that the oven would do a wonderful NY elite style pizza (4 minute bake), without stressing it too much.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.431688/it.A/id.8522/.f
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:25:27 PM by scott r »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Fage Table top 840 degree electric oven for home use
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »
One issue may be the need to use 220V and the maximum load you can put on residential circuit breakers. For example, using a standard household outlet:

110V x 15 amps = 1650 watts = very challenging to bake in 90 seconds.

It would be interesting to see the power rating on this thing and to see how it achieves 840F. Probably going to need 220V.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:51:27 PM »
Bill,

It specifically states that it "runs on 230 volts electric."  I don't see any other way around it.

- red.november

EDIT: It also mentions a maximum power rating of 2500 watts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:54:18 PM by November »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
Welcome back, November!!!

Scott:
It says 230v which suggest to me it's three phase.  I'm not at all familiar with EU electric.  My Bakers Pride is 220 (single phase) and 2800 watts.  After many experiments, I learned that NY style dough can't be used at that temperature but a Neapolitan style works great.  Not at all like a wood burner but you yield a 1-2 minute pizza.  I'd hate to see someone invest in equipment not designed for their particular recipe.
Hope this helps. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 03:10:26 AM »
PP, are you saying your bakers pride can do a 1.5 minute pizza?  That is how long my home oven takes to cook a pizza on the cleaning cycle running at 850 degrees like this Fage oven claims to do.  If it cooks like my home oven on the cleaning cycle I might just have to pick one up (or your bakers pride if it can cook that fast). Unfortunately my home oven seems like it is on it's last legs because it has taken so much abuse from being on the cleaning cycle all the time. I know Jeff V's expensive Kitchen Aid oven bit the dust already.  At the rate I make pizzas I could buy one of these Italian ovens and actually save myself money.   >:D
I also would love the ability to bring the temperature back to 700 degrees and make some killer NY/New Haven style pies, which is not really an easy option for my home oven.   It either wants to be at 850 or 550.

I do have a 220 outlet if that would work for this oven.  I have been assuming that three phase would not be possible in my apartment building, although I am situated near lots of restaurants and other commercial property. Any thoughts on that?

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:11:48 AM »
We talked about this some time ago.  I learned a lot since then. 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1520.0.html
The dial reads 650 but gets hotter.  Cranked up it will do a thin Neapolitan in 2 minutes.  Being electric, it won't recover like gas or WOOD.  You should see the electric meter spin.

Offline dms

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »
should be able to do a pizza in roughly 1-2 minutes. The company has a number of professional models, plus a small home oven that is only $600, but the shipping from Italy makes it very expensive. Still for many of us on the forum a portable $2500 oven that can do a 1:30 minute pizza and be used indoors without wood might be a very interesting prospect. 

$1900 would get you a 20' container shipped from Italy to the US East coast, with change. 

Offline aeneas1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 07:59:16 AM »
Ok, I know I am going to be flamed by the wood burners out there telling me that you need the convection etc. to do a proper neapolitan pizza.  That may be true, but I have been shocked to find that I can do a better neapolitan pizza in my home oven on the cleaning cycle than any of the pizzerias I have visited in the US except for Il Pizzaiolo in Pittsburgh.  From what I can tell, a 1.5 minute bake even in a home oven is really really good, and at least closer to the quality seen in naples than 99% of the wood burning ovens I have found here in the US. 

I have recently been doing a bunch of resarch for a pizzeria that has hired me as a consultant to help them improve their products.  They are unable to fit a wood burning oven in their pizzeria, but in my searches for ovens that might allow them to do a faster bake than a traditional deck oven I found a line of electric ovens that should be able to do a pizza in roughly 1-2 minutes. The company has a number of professional models, plus a small home oven that is only $600, but the shipping from Italy makes it very expensive. Still for many of us on the forum a portable $2500 oven that can do a 1:30 minute pizza and be used indoors without wood might be a very interesting prospect. 

Supposedly someone in Colorado has already ordered one of these for their home, so hopefully they will come on the forum with pictures of their finished product. The big question is how evenly this oven does bake at max temps.  I am assuming that the oven would do a wonderful NY elite style pizza (4 minute bake), without stressing it too much.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.431688/it.A/id.8522/.f

have you looked at hobart and vulcan flashbake ovens? very impressive machines/technology. they have a street price of about $4k but can be found on ebay for around $1-$2k. i will be selling mine for $700, mint condition.

here's a link to hobart's model...

http://www.hobartcorp.com/products/cooking/ovens/fb

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 09:19:47 AM »
I just read up on the ovens and their technology, impressive stuff.  Potentially well-suited for pizza.  The key question is how fast can they cook the pizza.  Can they pump sufficient energy into a Neapolitan pizza to cook it in 40-90 secs as a wood oven can.

Because this is direct radiant energy cooking, chamber temperature isn't relevant.  They give no indication of how much radiant energy reaches the pizza per unit time.  What we do know on one Vulcan model (which seems to be from the same manufacturer as the Hobart) is:

- Seven 2,000 watt lamps, four on the top and three on the bottom
- Max power 11.9Kw, 9Kw typical
- Single phase max current 56A, 43A typical, 240V

One thing I've never done is actually made temperature measurements of a pizza immediately coming out of the oven.  If we have those measurements, know the weight of a dressed pizza, and make some radiant energy loss assumptions, calculations should give us an answer.  I'll bet November could do this without blinking.

aeneas1, what's the fastest you are able to cook a pizza in yours when it's on full power with the optimal lamp arrangement?

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
I'm sure it's a good oven, but they seem to have a bit of a math discrepancy in their specifications.  They claim a 1-hour production quantity for 6" parbaked pizzas to be 108.  That's 1.8 pizzas a minute.  Then under sample cooking times they state 75 seconds as the cook time for a 6" parbaked pizza.  That's 0.8 pizzas a minute.  I realize that these are supposed to be approximations, but those are very different numbers even for an approximation.  If the sample cooking time numbers can be believed, it looks like it could bake a 12" fresh dough pizza in about 4 minutes.  That's not a large improvement over my home wall oven and it's using up a lot more energy.

- red.november

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 02:26:24 PM »
November, thanks for picking up on that.  Saves me from buying one now.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
Yeah, spending thousands of dollars, sacrificing more kitchen space, and expending 24% more electricity just to shave a minute off my bake time doesn't appeal to me.  I would be impressed if the bake time was cut in half and I was promised a free lifetime supply of halogen bulbs (which you know aren't going to last nearly as long as a thermoelectric element).

- red.november

Offline scpizza

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 07:33:29 AM »
I checked into it and the Fage oven costs around $550 delivered including shipping, customs.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 02:59:21 PM »
wow, that's a vastly different quote than the one I got from pizzaovens.com.  I can't believe they were going to charge me $2000 just for the shipping!

Could you tell me where you got the quote SC?  At this price I can't avoid buying one.

Offline scpizza

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 09:43:55 AM »
Yeah, that did seem too low so I re-inquired and the guy quoted me for shipping only (duh).  I requested a quote for the oven and the shipping.  It's $689 for the oven plus $549 for the shipping and customs so the total is $1,238.  This is from pizzaovens.com and I have a written quote for it.  Sounds like your prior contact there didn't give you good info.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:46:48 AM by scpizza »