Author Topic: Wood Ovens in NYC  (Read 1317 times)

Offline mr.farr@mac.com

Wood Ovens in NYC
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
Hey, I am opening a restaurant in a couple of month's and we will have a wood burning oven.  I am constantly searching for new things (pizza, meat, fish etc.) that chefs are doing with there wood burning oven.  I am visiting NYC next week for about ten days.  Does anyone have any suggestions of wood or coal burning pizzerias that I should visit

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Wood Ovens in NYC
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:40:23 PM »
You might want to check out the pizzas at Una Pizza Napoletana (wood-fired oven) and Luzzo's (coal-fired oven). They are around the corner from each other. If you do a forum search under the two names and/or scan the Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews section of the forum, you will find quite a bit of information, including many reviews, both positive and negative, about both pizzerias.

Another possibility is Naples 45 (I believe the oven can run on gas or wood). If you go there, ask for Charlie and tell him the forum sent you. The Patsy's in East Harlem (the original location) is also another popular pizza spot (coal-fired oven).

Peter
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:45:03 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
Try Da Ciro's in Manhattan.  He had an extensive menu cooking all types of things in his wood oven.  One thing I remembering looking amazing was the squid.

Mike

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:59:03 AM »
I really enjoyed Lil' Frankie's  In Manhatten just a few blocks from Luzzo's..they have a web-site which you should be able to find doing a search..I didn't like their pizza crust but they have some excelent dishes they make in their wood burning oven and the atmosphere is fantastic..make sure you go upstairs to check out the oven and chefs at work..
I could of sworn I saw a stack of oak firewood at Luzzo's..maybe it was somewhere else??
Pizza Rocks

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »
Luzzo's does use a mix of wood and coal.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market