Author Topic: Grilled pizza from Weber  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Grilled pizza from Weber
« on: September 16, 2004, 04:23:31 PM »
Weber  grills has a great email recipe that is posted monthly.
I have not tried this yet but it sounds interesting.

Recipe of the Week online by visiting: www.weber.com/row  

Thin-Crusted Pizza with Grilled Red Onions, Black Olives, and Tomato Sauce

Dough
3/4  cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)  
1  envelope active dry yeast
1/2  teaspoon granulated sugar
2-1/2  cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
  Extra-virgin olive oil
1  teaspoon kosher salt

Sauce
2  tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2  cup finely chopped red onion
2  teaspoons minced garlic
1  teaspoon dried oregano
1  can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
1/2  teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2  teaspoon kosher salt
1/4  teaspoon finely chopped black pepper

Toppings
2  large red onions, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch slices
  Extra-virgin olive oil
2  cups grated mozzarella cheese, about 8 ounces
1/2  cup Mediterranean black olives, pitted and thinly sliced
1 to 2  tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley

To prepare the dough: In a medium bowl combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Stir once and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 2-1/2 cups of the flour, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and the salt. Stir until the dough holds together. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, 4 to 6 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Turn the ball to cover the surface with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until the dough doubles in size, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

To prepare the sauce: In a medium saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and oregano, and cook until the garlic is light brown, about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, including the juice. Use the back of a large spoon to crush the tomatoes. Season with the sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook until you have 2 cups of sauce, 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly and then puree in a food processor or blender. Allow to cool.

Brush or spray the onion slices with oil. Grill over Direct Medium heat until well marked, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Cut each slice in half.

Punch down the dough in the bowl. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal pieces. Lightly brush the back of two baking sheets with olive oil. Using your fingers, flatten 2 pieces of dough on each baking sheet until you have 4 crusts, each about 8 inches in diameter, leaving the dough a little thicker at the edge than in the middle. Allow the dough to rise for 10 minutes.

Working with one or two crusts at a time, fold each crust in half, pick it up, and carefully set it on the grill. Unfold each crust and grill over Direct Medium heat until they are marked on the underside, 2 to 3 minutes, rotating the crusts occasionally for even cooking. Don't worry if the crusts bubble; they will deflate when turned over. Transfer the crusts from the cooking grate to the back of the baking sheets, with the grilled sides facing up.

Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce across each pizza crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Arrange the onions and olives over the sauce. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Transfer the pizzas from the baking sheets to the cooking grate. Grill until the crusts are crisp and the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes, rotating the crusts occasionally for even cooking. Transfer to a cutting board. Garnish with parsley. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.

Makes 4 small pizzas

« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 04:26:04 PM by Randy »

Offline Hutch

• I'm a llama!
Re:Grilled pizza from Weber
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »
Hello.  I'm new here, but I have been lurking for a while.  

I actually tried doing a pizza on the grill for the first time last night.  I have heard that you can use a pizza stone on a charcoal grill, and this is the method I tried.  I used a thin crust recipe for the dough.

I used quite a bit of charcoal, and let the grill get very hot.  I then pre-heated the pizza stone on the closed grill for about 20 minutes.  I used a peel to slide the pizza on the stone, and then closed the grill top.  After about 3-4 minutes I checked the pizza, and the toppings were just about right.  Unfortunately, a very thin layer on the bottom of the crust was already completely charred.  >:(  

In many ways, this was the best pizza/crust I've ever made.  Besides the thin layer of black char, the rest of the crust was perfect.  Light, crsip, and toppings were excellent.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how achieve the same results with out destroying the bottom layer of the crust?

I've always heard that the oven/grill should be as hot as possibile, butI'm wondering if mine may have been too hot?  Should I use less charcoal? Should I try it with out preheating the stone?  

Thanks in advance

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 11:47:47 AM »
Hutch do a search on this forum for grill, seems like Steve did a bit of testing with a stone and gas grill.

Randy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 12:45:29 PM »
Hutch,

Welcome to the forum.

Some while ago, I saw a pizza stone arrangement for use on a grill, at http://pizzagrill.com/index.html.   As you will note, the stone is held above the level of the grill, apparently to keep the pizza dough from burning.  You might get some ideas from the unit shown and the descriptive material at the site.

Peter

Offline RedGreene

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:20:22 PM »
I went to the Sofo food show today and had the chance to see Chef Rocco(yes The Rocco from the TV series) give a short pizza making demonstration.  One of the pizzas he made happened to be "grilled pizza alla napoletana".  According to Rocco the key to making a grilled pizza is using a teaspoon of molasses in your pizza dough recipe - and place the crust directly on the grill.

The recipe was given out to everyone at the pizza show so I don't think there is an issue with me posting the recipe by Rocco Despirito.  If I'm wrong, please feel free to delete my post.

2/3 cup lukewarm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon molasses
1 tbls kosher salt
1 tbls olive oil - plus more for coating
1 cup bread flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/8 cup whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast and molasses and stir gently to mix.  Set aside for five minutes until bubbly and foamy.  Add the salt and oil and stir to mix.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the flours  Add the flours to the yeast mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Devide the dough into three equal pieces.  Roll into balls and place on an oiled baking pan.  Brush the balls with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap.  Let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.

When the grill is ready, oil a second baking sheet and flatten one ball of dough into a 10-12" piece about 1/8 an inch thick.  A perfect circle is less crucial than even thickness.

Prepare a grill with coals banked to one side so there is a hot side and cool side.  Carefully stretch the dough onto the hot side of the grill and cook until the dough puffs on top, crisps on the bottom, and grill marks appear, about 1-2 minutes.

Flip the dough onto the cool side of the grill and brush the cooked side with olive oil.  Quickly and sparingly assemble the toppings.

Once the pizza has been dressed, drag it over to the hot side of the grill, and cook until the ingredients are heated through. (if the pizza browns to quickly, pull it to the cool side and cover the grill to finish cooking.)  Using a wide spatula or two pairs of tongs, carefully lift the pizza onto the cutting board and divide into 6 or 8 pieces.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 11:51:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum, RedGreene.

There is a well-known restaurant in Providence, Rhode Island, called Al Forno, that is famous for its grilled pizzas.  In fact, George Germon and his wife Johanne Killeen, co-owners and co-chefs of Al Forno, are widely credited for having "invented" the grilled pizza, at least in the U.S.   Their recipe for pizza dough also includes a bit of whole wheat flour (3 T.) and also johnnycake meal (1/4 c.), a form of cornmeal.  A former sous-chef of Al Forno, Vincent Scotto, now owner of a popular pizza restaurant in New York City, Gonzo's, reportedly uses the Al Forno recipe, or possibly a derivation of it, for grilled pizzas at the restaurant.  The Gonzo version is said to use a touch of molasses in the dough.  When I looked at the basic Al Forno dough recipe tonight--the same one presented in the Gerrmon/Kileen cookbook--I saw that the ingredients and quantities used in the Rocco recipe are quite similar to the Al Forno recipe but for the molasses and the johnnycake meal.   The Al Forno recipe also uses only all-purpose flour instead of a combination of all-purpose flour and bread flour.

I have made the Al Forno dough many times for home oven use and it is a very good dough.  So, it is quite likely that the Rocco recipe can be used for home oven use also.  However, I question whether 20 minutes is enough time for a dough based on all-purpose and bread flours to be ready for shaping and grilling, without exhibiting springback in trying to make a 10-12-inch piece out of a 20-minute old dough ball.  The Al Forno dough recipe calls for 2 rises, 1 1/2 to 2 hours and 40 minutes. Having made the Al Forno dough several times, I can say the dough needed all of that time.  So, unless I am missing something, or the Rocco recipe is missing something, I would allow for much more time than 20 minutes for the dough.

For comparison purposes, you may want to take a look at the Al Forno recipe, the same one presented in the Germon/Kileen cookbook, at http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=1787.   The Al Forno-Scotto connection is detailed at http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food/reviews/underground/n_7729/. For the Gonzo-molasses dough recipe, see http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2004/09/grilled-pizza-crust. See also http://www.bradencookbook.com/pizza%20margherita.htm.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:41:51 PM by Pete-zza »