Author Topic: Pizza Photo's From End of Season Grill  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Pizza Photo's From End of Season Grill
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:14:52 AM »
This was last nights pie

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Photo's From End of Season Grill
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 09:41:13 AM »
Wow Rkos...thats a great looking pie...and from just your grill?? Please explain your techinique? How did you get such a nice bottom and brown crust at the same time, when most grills don't have the surrounding heat you need.. thanks...I'm hungry

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »
Wow Rkos...thats a great looking pie...and from just your grill?? Please explain your technique? How did you get such a nice bottom and brown crust at the same time, when most grills don't have the surrounding heat you need.. thanks...I'm hungry

It's EZ

notice the pizza pan and the channel locks on the left side of the grill in the picure of the new grill in the previous post. I heat the grill to about 550* (per the thermometer built into the grill in 20 minutes or so) and assemble the pie on that pan and put the pie in the pan directly onto the heated stone. I check in about 5 minutes and if the top is browned to my liking I simply grasp the pan with the pliers and shake or spatula lift help the pie directly to the stone for about another two minutes and pull it off.

I've been making pizza on the grill in this fashion for a couple of years. It appears the bottom pizza pan slows the bottom from cooking. When the top is done and I pull the pan and put the pizza directly on the stone the bottom of the pizza doesn't even look like it's brown yet, is still white in color.

A couple of minutes directly on the stone browns the bottom nicely and doesn't seem to brown the top any more than it was when I pulled the pan. 

A caution; good channel locks and a good grip on the pan edge is critical to my bottom browning process on the stone - the deal is hot when you pull the pan. I put the pan to the side and when the bottom is finished to me liking the pie is easily pushed back into the pan and carried up to my cooling rack in the kitchen with the channel locks.

Super simple and I haven't dropped one yet  :)))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 12:34:33 PM by Rkos »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, I have always tinkered with my grill, but like most of us never was able to get the right combination of brown crust with bottom done as well. Usually one or the other gets out of hand usually the bottom burns prior to the edge browning and the result is an undercooked edge. I wonder if my pizza screen would do the same as your pizza pan--I noticed it is perforated with holes... is this a thick gauge pan?? and can you purchase from a pizza wholesaler?? thanks again for the response

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:07:01 PM by Rkos »

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »
yes it is thick (about 8-10 gauge I'd guess - to do the bottom like I do a reasonably thick heat-sink is key) - I have a screen setup for the home oven and would bet if used on a gas grill stone it would over brown the bottom prior to the top being done.

I bet they have that pan at wal-mart, Kostco etc.

Pick up a few and feel them- the heavier the better out of the group there

Good luck it's really EZ to get a great looking top and bottom crust from a gas grill,

pizzapan