Author Topic: modding out the grill  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
modding out the grill
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »
Inspired by the "2stone" grill method that's being talked about on the New York board, I decided to try this over the weekend.  As you can probably tell, I wasn't at all happy with the results.  The pizza took 6 minutes to cook and didn't brown at all.   I thought I would post this just in case anyone else had ever thought about trying this.  It seemed like such a good idea.

Offline Bryan S

Re: modding out the grill
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:16:20 PM »
Peteg, Don't give up man. I would lower the lump on the screen to about 1/2 way to where it is now and try again. Looks like it's too far from the top of the pizza. How long did you preheat the stone?
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:34:38 PM »
Yeah I would put that like 4-5" from the pizza and see how that works.  Still seems like a good idea, just may need some tweaking.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:31:28 AM »
That looks like the right idea.. perhaps even use cast iron above with hot coals in it.. I remember a western cooking show that had guys (cowboys) cooking in the field. They used a dutch oven to cook biscuits with great results. The  dutch oven made of cast iron with a rimmed lid. They would put it right on the coals then put the lid on and put a mound of hot coals on top of the lid, thus providing heat downward and browning the top of the biscuits. So maybe by using a large cast iron skillet filled with coals you not only get the high heat from above you won't get any ashes falling through like you might with a screen... just a thought..

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
Like a Dutch oven with a place for coals on top.  Lodge has them.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
So maybe by using a large cast iron skillet filled with coals you not only get the high heat from above you won't get any ashes falling through like you might with a screen... just a thought..

Peteg,
I think MTPIZZA is on the right track, and another reason to use a cast iron skillet or something similar is that if you keep heating that screen up with red-hot coals, it won't last long...it will start to sag and will finally break. 

I have a round, perforated pizza pan that I have dedicated to the grill... I may try your idea with that pan as the holes are quite small so not much ash would fall through if I don't mess with it while the pizza is below.... hmmm.... gonna have to check out what I can use for a rack...  that's the fun of pizza making: always some new twist to try!

Please keep us posted regarding future iterations!  This looks very interesting!
~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I'll try it with a skillet next weekend and lower it to roughly 3" of clearance.  I may try quarry tiles on the bottom with the assumption that they'll warm up a little faster than the huge baking stone that I have in there now.  Surprisingly enough, the pizza screen actually did a pretty good job of controlling the ashes (except for when I bumped grill lid on the baking stone).

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »
I don't like the coals in the cast iron pan idea.. Unless you heated it up first and then put coals in to keep it hot, but then again would it ever really be as hot as just the coals themselves?  I'd want as much direct heat as possible... adding the pan seems to make it more indirect.  Just try moving the screen lower first to see if that does anything seeing you already have all the equipment. 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline lloydl2

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Inspired by the 2 stone pizza grill from pizza therapy, I last night was successfully able to mimic this.   I used a 16" round pizza stone which I bought from Primo ceramic grill.  I placed this on the grill grates of a weber gas grill, I then placed 2 firebricks upright on each side leaving a small gap between them and the pizza stone.  On top of the firebricks, I placed a rectangular 24" stone, in effect creating a hearth.  I propped the grill top slightly open creating a convection draft.  Pizzas cooked in under 4 minutes with good char bottom and top.  Next time, I will try it and also cover the remaining open areas of the grill grate with tin foil, forcing more heat through the hearth chamber.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 03:23:57 AM »
Inspired by the 2 stone pizza grill from pizza therapy, I last night was successfully able to mimic this.   I used a 16" round pizza stone which I bought from Primo ceramic grill.  I placed this on the grill grates of a weber gas grill, I then placed 2 firebricks upright on each side leaving a small gap between them and the pizza stone.  On top of the firebricks, I placed a rectangular 24" stone, in effect creating a hearth.  I propped the grill top slightly open creating a convection draft.  Pizzas cooked in under 4 minutes with good char bottom and top.  Next time, I will try it and also cover the remaining open areas of the grill grate with tin foil, forcing more heat through the hearth chamber.
And take some pics, and post them.  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.