Author Topic: Tonight's pies. Pics + Video + fun!  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Tonight's pies. Pics + Video + fun!
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:38:44 PM »
So, these pies were a 65% Hydration pie, with a 70% Caputo 30% King Arthur Bread flour dough. Risen in the fridge' on it's 32nd hour. Will try a 3 day rise and see how it compares.

The sauce is Escalon 6n1 with oregano, a touch of garlic, and a touch of sea salt.

Cheese is 100% whole milk mozzarella and clumps of Casabianca buffalo mozzarella. Some olive oil drizzled on just before entry into the oven.

The pie had about a 6 minute bake time, was topped with grana padano and fresh basil.

It was good, real good. I wish my oven was hot enough (around 580) to blacken the caputo a bit more, but the taste isn't sacrificed at all. All in all a successful night.

http://www.imcooked.com/view_video.php?viewkey=631cc6075c0f87bb4978

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
Re: Tonight's pies. Pics + Video + fun!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:51:31 PM »
nice looking pie

that was thin too. The video was super cool...... what did you shoot it
with? What software did you use to produce it?

willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »
Shot with a standard 7mp digital camera's video mode. Edited in imovie. :)

Thanks! :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
Philip,

One of the things I tried with the DiFara style flour blend (Caputo 00 and high-gluten) that worked out really well was a mini-oven that I built within my regular oven, as shown and described starting at Reply 130 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,504.msg28423.html#msg28423.

What were the rest of the ingredients and quantities you used for the pies shown?

Peter

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »
Hmmm. I'll have to pull out the Lehmann sheet from the calculator. Pretty standard stuff, just a bit of salt, no oil or honey or anything like that, you know I like to keep it simple and clean.  ;D

I totally forgot about the mini oven approach (mainly because it took me so long to find the quarry tiles in the first place). I'll try that for lunch tomorrow and post the results. What do you think of the pie?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
Philip,

I really like the size and thickness of the crust. As you may know, I have been advocating that people using the Caputo flour in a home oven setting not try to make the pies too big and too thin. I have also advocated that people not get too hung up with the lack of crust color so long as everything else was in proper order. In your case, I'd be happier to see more crust color, which is the reason why I cited the posts I did, and especially the post showing the mini-oven, which I think helped with the crust color, especially when I moved the pie on top of the mini-oven toward the end of the bake. The idea of the mini-oven, as well as the smaller/thicker pie profile, came out of my experiments with cold fermented doughs at the A16 thread. If I can find a photo of the mini-oven in that instance, I will post it.

Peter

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:34:37 PM »
Indeed. More color would be nice but, like you said, I don't think it adds too much since everything else was wonderful. It really was a phenomenal pie. If I wasn't so danged full i'd fire up the oven for a second go round using the minioven technique. :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »
Philip,

The mini-oven that I used when I made a series of three pies under the A16 thread is shown at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1298.msg23927.html#msg23927 (Reply 250). The design of that mini-oven did not have enclosed sides but my results with that mini-oven prompted me to use some tiles at the sides when I made the mini-oven that I showed at the DiFara reverse engineering thread. The big winner of the three A16 pies was Pizza #3. That was a smaller, thicker pizza. The crust was made from Caputo flour only. With a blend such as you used, you should get even more coloration in the finished crust. I think you could also add some dried dairy whey to get more color, but that might violate your KISS rule.

Peter

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »
What was the weight of your dough ball? 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »
Between 320 - 340 grams, i'm not sure what that particular ball was. FWIW, the pie you see my prepping and the pie you see coming out of the oven are different :).

So, after a three day rise and using the mini oven technique, let me say- wow. Such a difference. I didn't take many pictures but everything about the pie was different (and better). Will post more results this week after I make a new batch. The oven was much much hotter using this method, and the pies cooked in about 4-5.5 minutes as opposed to 7 or so.

Any input aba?

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 01:36:11 AM »
Not really, I've given up on using Caputo under 800 degrees as it never really did it justice at low temps.  So I can't really say anything but don't use Caputo, haha.  :-)  I just moved and have a gas oven now with no clean cycle so I've got about 10 or so lbs still in the bag that I will probably never use now. 

Will check out the pics from the mini-oven setup when you post them up.

- aba

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »
I don't know, I would agree that i've gotten a more desirable look (at least on the top) from KASL or All Trumps in my oven, I don't think i've acheived the taste I desire without using a mix of caputo as well. I'm not real sure the science behind that though.

pizzapan