Author Topic: No Hooch in the sourdough culture  (Read 2159 times)

Offline schwollo

No Hooch in the sourdough culture
« on: September 18, 2007, 11:17:02 PM »
Does that mean my culture was never activated properly? I thought I saw lots of bubbles before I put it in the fridge. THanks!

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
Re: No Hooch in the sourdough culture
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »
You are getting into voodoo territory,
I have babied dead starter along for
a week or more and brought it back to life.

willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline toddster63

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:52:04 PM »
How long was it in the fridge?

Hooch is only formed after the exhaustion of feeding of the flour's sugars, when the culture is starting to slag--to go dormant. With some of my cultures, hooch will not form for almost two weeks, whereas some (more active) like the Carl's Orgeon trail will form hooch within a week or so. It really varies from culture to culture and on how thick or thin you are keeping your culture IMHE...

Offline schwollo

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »
I guess when I try to activate it again after taking it out of the fridge, I will see if it is actually dead or not? 

Offline klown

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 04:02:33 PM »
What is hooch?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »
klown,

It looks like we forgot you. Hooch is that layer of liquid on top of the starter, as shown in the last photo in this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2025.msg36702.html#msg36702 (Reply 63). It's when the hooch layer is somewhere in the middle or the bottom of the starter that one can expect problems unless corrective action is taken.

Peter

Offline klown

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
Ahh, I've always called that the alcohol.  I didn't know that it could appear anywhere but on top.  Any starter that I've had, it's always on top.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
klown!
You are the lucky one!  Those of us who play with sourdough regularly... and multiple cultures... I'm sure have had hooch problems!  I captured one yeast a few years ago... no matter how many times I washed it, fed it, nutured it, kept it warm and cozy... it refused to behave!  It was an evil child who had to be sent away!!   >:D

I wish you continued success with no evil cultures in the future.  It's sad when a good culture goes bad!   :'(

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline klown

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »
klown!
You are the lucky one!  Those of us who play with sourdough regularly... and multiple cultures... I'm sure have had hooch problems!  I captured one yeast a few years ago... no matter how many times I washed it, fed it, nutured it, kept it warm and cozy... it refused to behave!  It was an evil child who had to be sent away!!   >:D

I wish you continued success with no evil cultures in the future.  It's sad when a good culture goes bad!   :'(

~sd

Well I've never tried to capture my own.  My current culture is from sourdoughs international.  It's the San Francisco culture.  I grew up in the bay area, and the bread this stuff makes is very good.  The only other culture I had before this one was an established starter that was captured from this area many years ago.  It was given to me by a friend.  Made really good bread, but not sour enough for my taste.  This SF one I have is excellent!