Author Topic: Buying sourdough starters  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Montreal_Pizza

• a pizz e buon!
Buying sourdough starters
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:21:54 PM »
Has anyone purchased starters from www.fermentedtreasures.com?
Are they reliable?

Thanks,

Danny

Offline toddster63

Re: Buying sourdough starters
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:02:18 AM »
This is one of the sites selling both the Ischia and the Camaldoli starters without permission from the man who collected them (a member here), or from the company authorized to sell them (sourdo.com). That to me was a big turn-OFF...

Plus their prices are more expensive than Sourdo.com, and you don't have Ed Wood behind you (the man operating Sourdo.com).

Offline Montreal_Pizza

• a pizz e buon!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 07:31:53 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'll buy from sourdo.com.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »
This is one of the sites selling both the Ischia and the Camaldoli starters without permission from the man who collected them (a member here), or from the company authorized to sell them (sourdo.com). That to me was a big turn-OFF...

Plus their prices are more expensive than Sourdo.com, and you don't have Ed Wood behind you (the man operating Sourdo.com).

do you need permission to sell a sourdough starter?  I don't think you can claim ownership of wild microorganisms.  If you genetically engineer them, that's a different story.

Offline DaveK

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
Great idea. I bought mine from Ed Wood and he was very responsive via e-mail when I had questions. Good luck!

Dave

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »
This sparked a big debate before.  But anyway the good thing about this place is you can buy them all activated for a few bucks more.  Definitely not worth the hassle to activate them yourself unless you really want the experience.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline toddster63

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »
This sparked a big debate before.  But anyway the good thing about this place is you can buy them all activated for a few bucks more.  Definitely not worth the hassle to activate them yourself unless you really want the experience.

- aba

Wow, they sell them already activated? I didn't realize that... That is handy.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
Yeah tell me about it.  I had to read the intro to find it but it's here:  "For your convenience, our sourdough starter cultures are offered as dried starter cultures or fresh starter cultures."

Each culture has 2 prices.. one prefixed with "D" for dry and "F" for fresh.  It looks like they ship the fresh cultures via priority mail so probably just due for a simple feeding once you get them.

- aba 
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!