Author Topic: Flammekuche - Alsatian Pizza  (Read 8443 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Flammekuche - Alsatian Pizza
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »
I had the feeling that my wife, who is far too sweet to pour cold water on my passion for baking pizza, was getting a little tired of all the tomato-based pies I have been making a few times a week. We had a good crop of tomatoes from our garden this year, so many of them have ended up on top of pizzas. Anyway, the past week I have been trying non-tomato pies and ran across one new one that is really a winner.

This pie is from the new book from Maurice at Earthstone Ovens, Cooking with Fire - French Family Recipes & More for Woodfire Ovens. The book has a number of very interesting recipes for all kinds of foods that I intend to try soon. I used my standard 2-day, room temp Camaldoli/Caputo fluffy dough recipe and topped the pie with

- seasoned creme fraiche
- emmenthaller cheese
- ham
- sauteed onions
- more emmenthaller cheese

On the second pizza, instead of the creme fraiche, I used some leftover Alfredo sauce with some parm and asiago cheese in the sauce. The family preferred this one, but I thought the simplicity of the first one worked better.

I'll try to write a more detailed review of the book after I've tried a few more of the recipe.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
Re: Flammekuche - Alsatian Pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:27:15 PM »
Great looking pie Bill...I've got to get Maurice's book...his Glendale kitchen is a great place to hang out!

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
Great looking pie Bill...I've got to get Maurice's book...his Glendale kitchen is a great place to hang out!

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I forgot to add that the book comes with a DVD showing how to use the oven and also how to make some of the recipes in the book. The production values are not very high, but for me that really didn't detract from the info presented.

Bill/SFNM

P.S. I like your avatar  ;)

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
Thanks, I got some inspiration from those who tread before me....namely you!  Earthstones seem to photograph as well as they bake....hmmmmm
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 03:58:21 PM »
Looks amazingly good! Ususally I am not too fond of non-tomato-based pizzas, but this one really makes me hungry! And I have just eaten. :)

I was wondering what seasoning you used for the creme fraiche?
And did the creme fraiche go below the other toppings?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 04:47:42 PM »
Looks amazingly good! Ususally I am not too fond of non-tomato-based pizzas, but this one really makes me hungry! And I have just eaten. :)

I was wondering what seasoning you used for the creme fraiche?
And did the creme fraiche go below the other toppings?

Thanks, vitus. The creme is seasoned with salt and pepper. It is the very bottom layer.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »
I think I mentioned this type of combination in an earlier post and have tried it myself a while ago.I was really looking forward to it as I have previously enjoyed the sweet / salt combination of raisins / capers on a pizza.
Sadly I was personally disappointed however as it was just too rich for me.
Here is a link to where I first read about it and was surprised to see it served in what is regarded by some as the best pizzeria in Naples.

http://ilforno.typepad.com/il_forno/2006/07/pizzeria_da_sal.html#more

Visually I think it it is very appealing and I am in the minority regarding the taste.As always Bill, you are an innovator and bring these hidden gems to the attention of the masses.
Thanks,
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
David,

I did a few things to try to bring out the best of this pizza. Seasoning the creme has been mentioned. Most importantly, I used the very best ham (french-style) and cheese I could find. Most emmenthaler is pretty ho-hum, but I found one at WFM that had a great flavor.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 12:09:10 AM »
Bill, I have to say that that is a fantastic looking pie. I'm on a quest to find a really good non tomato based sauce pie. Thanks for posting yours, it gives me a great place to start. I'm leaning towards a Bechamel sauce based pie, with 2 toppings and a mild cheese. I have used Cooper Sharp on some pies while I love the buttery taste from it the rest of the family doesn't care for it. Any thoughts on some goat cheeses or others to use? TIA, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »
Another try today: used roasted red onions - better, but still working on this.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »
Bill,

Looks great! Brings back memories.  :chef:

I remember my GF back in Germany making Flammkuchen (Tarte flambée), also sometimes called Zwiebelkuchen or "Onion Tart".

Here's a link with the german version of it:

http://www.steffensdinners.com/content/zwiebelkuchen_(onion_cake)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:01:43 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline haybot

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »
There is a difference between Flammkuchen and Zwiebelkuchen.

Flammkuchen comes from the Alsace. Just like Pizze everyone makes it slightly different but in general you make  a yeast dough which is rolled out really thin and then topped with creme fraiche, ham and onions.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=de&client=safari&rls=de-de&um=1&sa=1&q=flammkuchen&btnG=Bilder-Suche&aq=f&oq=

I quite often make Flammkuchen myself, but i still don't get the dough thin enough without using too much bench flour which you taste in the end.

Zwiebelkuchen is thicker and you make a thick batter which is  poured onto the crust in a pan.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
Wow! wish I spreken ze deutche? That stuff looks amazing similar to a cracker crust?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
There is a difference between Flammkuchen and Zwiebelkuchen.

Flammkuchen comes from the Alsace. Just like Pizze everyone makes it slightly different but in general you make  a yeast dough which is rolled out really thin and then topped with creme fraiche, ham and onions.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=de&client=safari&rls=de-de&um=1&sa=1&q=flammkuchen&btnG=Bilder-Suche&aq=f&oq=

I quite often make Flammkuchen myself, but i still don't get the dough thin enough without using too much bench flour which you taste in the end.

Zwiebelkuchen is thicker and you make a thick batter which is  poured onto the crust in a pan.

You are right.

However, you can make a Zwiebelkuchen actually the same way you make a Flammkuchen, if you're healthy-conscious or want to watch the calories. The difference is mainly the toppings.

John,

Yes, I speak German.  ;)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan