Author Topic: Question: Is it really "wild yeast" that I have caught?  (Read 8723 times)

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
I have captured the wild yeast-beastie!!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »
The second iteration is a go!  I nuked all flour I used for feeding in the microwave, on hold at 210oF until the flour temp was above 140oF.  I used very ripe, unwashed Italian plums from my tree, pitted, cut in half and submerged in the flour/distilled water slurry.  This was covered with Stretch-tite and left on my kitchen counter at room temp.  By the third day, I was seeing something that I was worried was mold, but as it grew, I knew that it was yeast!  It was tan-white, about the color of yeast in the jar, no white or blue-green and it grew in a flat, across-the-surface strand shape.  I lifted the wrap once a day to smell the contents and it always smelled yeasty and alcoholic, not moldy.  This "cooked" on the counter for one week.  By the end of the week, it smelled glorious!  So, I removed the wrap, stirred in 1/2 c nuked, cooled flour and put new wrap on it.  It is now into the second day, starting to perk and look like starter should!   ;D  It smells yeasty and wonderful! 

Next, I will remove some of the starter, making sure that I have no fruit included and activate with feedings of nuked flour (just to be safe) and distilled water.  I will add more documentation as I have it.

This is a great adventure.... I hope the yeastie-beasties perform well in bread... with GOOD flavor!

NB: the pink in the photos is the plum skins, showing through the slurry

~sd
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:25:39 PM by sourdough girl »
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Furo

Re: Question: Is it really "wild yeast" that I have caught?
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »
Sourdough Girl,
Looks like you've caught a nice bunch of beasties! Appear to happy and very active! With what your doing to "sterilize" the flour and water only the natural yeast and bacteria from your plums should be present, even if a tiny amount of yeast spores from any other you've used in your kitchen are present they would most likely be overwhelmed by the amount present on the plums. Survival of the fittest! Is it developing any sourness yet? What kind of flour are you using? I used freshly ground Kamut flour in the starter I made from grapes. Of course I didn't go through the steps you are taking to isolate a local strain.
Keep us posted on your results.
Woody.
Being crazy isn't a necessity but it sure is FUN!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 08:35:19 PM »
Cool Beans Girl, looking great. Can't wait to hear how the bread tastes.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
Thanks, Woody!
I'm just using GM AP flour, 'cause I think the yeast just wants something to eat, doesn't have to be fancy at this point.  I may use a portion to make a rye starter, which also intrigues me since my family tree is from an area of the world that relishes rye bread. 

Since you asked, I just tasted the starter that's cooking (and it's VERY active, growing noticeably in the last last hour!) and it tastes like a thick version of my homemade plum wine!!  Maybe I should just get a spoon and to heck with dinner!!  HEH!  It's yeasty, alcoholic and slightly tart... I'm REALLY happy with this!  When I keep feeding it, the plummy flavor will soon recede and the sourdough flavor will take over... and all will be good in sourdough girl's world!

Thanks, Bryan!  I will certainly post my bread results... might even change my avatar!!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 01:45:22 AM »
might even change my avatar!!
~sd
OH! You go Girl, Can't wait to see them pics.  ;)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

pizzapan