Author Topic: Taking the New York slice downunder.....  (Read 2032 times)

Offline tommygun

Taking the New York slice downunder.....
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:36:57 PM »
Hi everyone- i'm a 22 y/o New Zealander making my way around North America and Canada.  Over the past few months i've fallen in love with New York style pizza (a complete novelty for us Kiwis- 12" chain store bought pizzas being practically the only available option at home) and have decided to look into opening a pizzeria when i get back home at the end of the year.   I do realize this will be no easy feat but i'm prepared to put in the hours and  develop a great product.   At the moment NO ONE in NZ (that I know of) does NYC style pizza, or even sells pizza by the slice for that matter....a big gap in the market

I'm heading to New York for a few days next week and was hoping that someone might recommend some must-see pizzerias in the Big Apple??  Or, if anyone here operates a pizzeria in NYC and would consider meeting and chatting with me about the ins and outs of the business that would be amazing.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their wisdom on this site- it's been invaluable for me as a relative newcomer to the artform!!

Any replies/ advice much appreciated

Tom

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Taking the New York slice downunder.....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
Try Luzzo's and Patsy's.  They are both coal fired places.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: Taking the New York slice downunder.....
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
Hi everyone- i'm a 22 y/o New Zealander making my way around North America and Canada.  Over the past few months i've fallen in love with New York style pizza (a complete novelty for us Kiwis- 12" chain store bought pizzas being practically the only available option at home) and have decided to look into opening a pizzeria when i get back home at the end of the year.   I do realize this will be no easy feat but i'm prepared to put in the hours and  develop a great product.   At the moment NO ONE in NZ (that I know of) does NYC style pizza, or even sells pizza by the slice for that matter....a big gap in the market

I was pleased with this place, a friend took me there last month. A bit north of Auckland on the way to Helensville. Best pie I've had down in NZ. If you decide not to open your own, you might want to try and buy into this place, or discuss franchising. They seem understaffed and undersized for the market they're developing.

Dante's Real Woodfired Pizza
    316 Main Rd Kumeu
    412 8644

pizzapan