Author Topic: Another one  (Read 2246 times)

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
Another one
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:50:19 PM »
Same dough recipe as in this pie, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5570.0.html

Kneaded by hand to make just 1 dough, so the recipe was halved.
Used Polly-O Part-Skim Mozz.
I have to say, the cheese didn't melt that good. Kinda clumped and came off the pizza in chunks when I was eating it.
It certainly got hot enough as the top browned.
I cook the pizza on a 550deg stone preheated for an hour, and I also have a rack 8" above the pizza with a stone on it to help cook the top.

This pie had fresh onion, fresh garlic, and 7-11 tomatoes.
48 hr slow cold rise in the frig. Took dough out 1 hr before cooking

My 50lb bag of KA SIr Lancelot flour came in from Hillcrest Foods today. So I am going to start using that again.
$43.63 including shipping delivered to FL.
So that's $0.87/lb.
I pay $0.52/lb at the local grocery store for KA Bread Flour.
The extra couple cents per pizza is far worth it.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:00:21 PM by abilak »

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
Re: Another one
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »
Here is pics of my doughs before going in the frig.
These are mixed with the cuisinart.
Next is a tasty pepperoni pie I cranked out with the same dough recipe and polly-o gourmet mozz.
Last, is a pic of my oven with my top stones shown.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »
abilak,

Some time ago, I experimented using two stones as you did. I did not find that it helped with the baking of the top of the pizza. It may have been that I didn't let both of the stones get hot enough, as by allowing more than my usual one-hour preheat (for a single stone). The alternative would have been to turn on the broiler to help the top stone get really hot. Another drawback to the two stone method in my case was that the top stone shaded the pizza on the bottom stone such that I couldn't really see what was happening to the pizza through the glass window of my oven door. To get a better view, I would have had to open the oven door, which would have let too much oven heat escape. I ended up using a flashlight aimed at the pizza through the glass window of the oven door. That worked only marginally well at best.

What you might try sometime is to put the upper stone higher in the oven and move the pizza onto the upper stone for the last minute or two of the bake. I have found that that helps with the top bake in my oven.

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 12:39:01 AM »
abilak,

To get a better view, I would have had to open the oven door, which would have let too much oven heat escape. I ended up using a flashlight aimed at the pizza through the glass window of the oven door. Peter

Mmmmm? And my Wife has the audacity to question my methods and sanity? :-\
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Abilak,

Isn't this hobby freaking exciting? I'm really looking forward to seeing your pie's progress.

Philip

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:07:27 PM »
Yes it is, I got started about 2 years ago. Can't count how many pies I have made... I think I'm over 200.

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
Look in the yellow pages for a commercial bakery supply company. I bought 50lb bags of KASL for only 11.75 total. I would use about a third of the bag and then just throw it out, and buy more to stay fresh.  I never worried cause 12 bucks for 50 pounds was so cheap.

Offline abilak

• The FL Pizza Man
    • My former band
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:11:02 PM »
I did and the closest place I found was 70 miles away in Orlando, FL. Someone else posted on the board that they weren't even sure if they "always" sell to the general public. There is also a place down near Miami, around 170 miles away. I was thinking about stopping in a pizza shop and maybe asking where they get their flour and if they think the place would sell me a bag.. or even if I could order one through the shop.

Offline aptfive

• www.aptfive.com
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:37:49 PM »
...nice pies my friend ..love your pic of the 50lb bag ...mine is on the way ..i'm finishing up my Caputo 00 stock ..looking forward to going back to KASL

pizzapan