Author Topic: 1st post, thanks Jeff V  (Read 1391 times)

Offline TrueFaith

1st post, thanks Jeff V
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:23:13 PM »
After struggling for some time and sporadic success I found Jeff Vs page a few months ago.  My pizza's have gotten way better.  The reasons IMHO:

1. Autolyse the flour/water, I sometimes let it go for hours and even overnight.
2. The sauce tips and refrain from spices.
3. I always used good wet mozz, fresh basil and high temps but...

I am rethinking the high temps thing lately.  Here's why. 

I haven't bought the IR piece yet but I use a gas grill with a large pizza stone on it.  On high it probably exceeds 800-900 degrees maybe 1000.  I can cook a pizza in less than a minute and get all of those charred spots that we crave in moderation.  But I have a method that I think is working a little better. 

I've turned down the heat to medium and I would guess it's about 600 degrees or so. It takes about 5-6 minutes but produces a very nice chewy crust that is done perfectly throughout.  No charred spots.  However, using a propane torch to 'dress' the pie allows me absolute control on the final appearance and taste of the pizza. 

I've included photos.

For me, the goal is to get that total balance of dough, sauce, cheese, basil and olive oil that makes your mouth dance.  These pizzas do it.  It's a shame though I can't go out and get decent pizza like this in Dallas.  I have know good pizza in KC, NYC, Dusseldorf, Roma, Sperlonga, Albuquerque, Denver but not in Dallas.

Offline Bryan S

Re: 1st post, thanks Jeff V
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:56:59 PM »
I like you, am a fan of the chewy crust. Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your pizza success, and that's a fantastic looking pie.  :pizza: Thanks for sharing the pics with us.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

pizzapan