Author Topic: My latest NY pics  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
My latest NY pics
« on: September 19, 2004, 06:49:33 PM »
Hi all, here are some pics of this evenings dinner...

(http://status.newtechwebservices.com/pics/pizza1.jpg)

(http://status.newtechwebservices.com/pics/pizza2.jpg)

(http://status.newtechwebservices.com/pics/pizza3.jpg)

(http://status.newtechwebservices.com/pics/pizza4.jpg)

(http://status.newtechwebservices.com/pics/pizza5.jpg)

This was my first attempt at using a screen. Based on the results i think i will stick with the screen. I got a better browning and overall cooking evenness than with the stone. The bottom of the crust looked just like what you see from a pizzeria. If i could only get a little more puffyness into the outer edge, it was just a bit too dense, but still very tasty.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:51:58 PM by Giovanni »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re:My latest NY pics
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:53:28 PM »
Wow, that looks very tasty! :)  And if I saw that in NYC pizzeria, I wouldn't give it a second thought---looks authentic!

Dave

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:44:06 PM »
Great, now I hungry....  ;)
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 08:35:49 AM »
Post your recipe and directions and we can help you get it puffy.

Randy

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:55:34 AM »
I almost always use a different crust recipe each time i make a pizza, they are usually similar, just with small changes here and there. I have not changed my prep method in some time though because it seems to be working fairly well, maybe that's where my problem is. Anyway, for this pizza i used the beer crust recipe from correl concepts which so far has been the best i have tried. I used Corona beer, but actually only noticed a very very small difference in taste.

KA Sir Lancelot - 15.25 OZ
Yellow Cornmeal - 3/4 OZ
Water - 7 OZ
Beer - 2 OZ
Red Star Active Dry Yeast - 2.5 TSP
Sugar .5 OZ
Salt - 1 and 5/8 TSP
Classico Oil Oil - 3/4 OZ

I pre-weighed all ingredients using my digital scale. Started by mixing the flour, sugar, salt, and cornmeal in bowl. Put yeast in another bowl and proofed it with about 3 tablespoons of lukewarm water, mixed it untill completely disolved. Let the yeast sit for about 7 minutes untill slightly foaming. While waiting on that i reduced the 7 OZ of water by the 3 tablespoons of water i used to proof the yeast and then mixed that along with the beer and oil into the flour. I mixed by hand (I dont have a mixer) untill it came together and then neaded for a bit in the bowl and let rest for 2 minutes. Next, i poured the yeast mixture into the dough and worked it in by hand. I then put the dough on the counter top and neaded it for 2 minute intervals (with 1 minute rest periods) untill it seemed right. The dough ball had a smooth sheen on top when i was done. There was 5-6 min total of neading time. Next i put the dough ball into my proofing container which is an air tight plastic container i purchased from the bakers catalogue just for this purpose. I left it in the fridge for about 23 hours before removing to cook. I would say it doubled in total volume. I let the dough sit for about 25 mintues before shaping it.

I shaped it to the full 16 inches and then placed on the screen and pre-warmed it for 90 seconds, removed from the oven, put on the topping and cooked for 7 minutes untill the bottom was a medium brown. The dough was tender with a slight bit of chewy texture. There were only a few of the large air bubbles on it and as you can see from the pics the texture is of medium density and had more of a bread like interior.

I have tried the recipe on the front of this website with similar results. The only difference was the recipe above was more tender after cooking.  

Offline Lars

• Greetings from Venice.
    • Lars in Venice
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 05:57:06 PM »
Here's a video of Craig Kominiak making focaccia dough, which is the method I've been using.  He uses no sugar in the dough and allows it to develop a somewhat sourdough flavor by leaving it in the fridge for 24-36 hours.  I found his dough to be somewhat too sticky, and so I had to reduce the amount of water a bit.  I also noticed that on the video he says he uses 2# of flour (which is says is 7 cups), but his recipe says 6-1/2 cups.  I've actually been using 7 cups with 2 cups of water instead of the 2-1/4 cups he says he uses.

Here's what my leftover pizza looks like, which you can see also does not have large air holes, and so I'm doing something wrong also.  I've never made a beer batter pizza, but I've used beer for making tempura batter.

Right now, I'm trying to adjust to different measuring methods - I'm not used to everything in ounces, and I only have a postal scale, but now I want to get a good chef's scale.  BTW, I tend to use instant dry yeast because I bought a pound of it for $5.00, which is a lot cheaper than the yeast in small packets.

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 07:35:41 PM »
These techniques have been extremely consistent in developing a chewy airy texture for me with plenty of development around the outside of the crust, while maintaining a NY thin texture near the end of each slice.  Hopefully, the techniques will provide some assistance in your own endeavors:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=524;start=msg5514#msg5514
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 07:38:37 PM by giotto »

pizzapan