Author Topic: An attempt at a Malnati's butter crust  (Read 7700 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
An attempt at a Malnati's butter crust
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:02:21 AM »
Well, I gave this a first effort but I want to preface this by saying that I have no idea what I'm shooting for as I've never had Malnati's butter crust.  So many have suggested it that I decided to tinker with my own Malnati's clone recipe and just adjust the hydration a bit and replace the corn oil with butter. 

Here's how the formula breaks down:

100% AP flour
41% water
23% unsalted butter
4% olive oil
.75% ADY

Thickness factor - .125

I goofed when I threw this in the pan as I used regular Crisco that I whisked with EVOO.  As I'm putting that in the pan I'm realizing that I should should be greasing this with butter...DUH!!!  Soooo...flavor loss there.  I only gave it a rise in the oven with the light on for 3 hrs., punching it down half way through.

This turned out OK and as I've already expressed one mistake, I did make another.  Making this pie was a last minute idea and I rushed out to my local Super Target to pick up some other stuff, so I just grabbed Hunt's whole tomatoes and, knowing that the tomatoes are just packed in juice, a small can of Hunt's puree to mix in .  UGGGGGHHHH!!!  Not so good.  That just ruined the overall pizza but the crust was pretty good.  I think using either (a) a little salt, or (b) salted butter would have helped bring out more of a buttery flavor.  I usually only keep unsalted butter around so to those that do use salt with a similar recipe, how much are you using?

No pics because I kinda figured it looks just like other Malnati pics I've posted.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Bryan S

Re: An attempt at a Malnati's butter crust
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:44:46 PM »
I think using either (a) a little salt, or (b) salted butter would have helped bring out more of a buttery flavor.  I usually only keep unsalted butter around so to those that do use salt with a similar recipe, how much are you using?

Loo, I have made a butter crust for the LM crust and I'm still working on my butter crust for my pan pizza's. I use salted butter always and for a single 22 oz pan pizza butter crust that has 2 TBS of butter in it I use a 3/4 tsp of sea salt. IIRC I used the same amount for a LM butter crust when I made it. Putting butter in the bottom is a big help but still it's hard to taste the butter in the crust in my pan pizza dough. I have just started to use Butter extract in the dough with minimal success. It's still a work in progress and I really need to find a good butter extract, I think that would be key. I have tried up to a 1/4 stick of butter in the 22 oz pan pizza dough but it really changes the texture to more like a LM crust than a pan pizza dough, so you might want to up your butter some and butter the pan and you should be close.  :) Not sure if this helps any but I'm really trying to get the butter taste come through in my pan pizza dough so this is what i've tried so far, and it's a work in progress.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 01:05:13 AM »
Here you go.. This is the recipe I use

Flour (100%):                                    442.07 g  |  15.59 oz | 0.97 lbs
Water (45%):                                     198.93 g  |  7.02 oz | 0.44 lbs
ADY (.75%):                            3.32 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.88 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
Olive Oil (4%):                       17.68 g | 0.62 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.93 tsp | 1.31 tbsp
Butter/Margarine (19%):     83.99 g | 2.96 oz | 0.19 lbs | 5.92 tbsp | 0.37 cups                                                                                                     
Total (168.75%):                             746 g | 26.31 oz | 1.64 lbs | TF = N/A                                                                                                                                                           

Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
This sounds good but I am just going to have to pass having got some shocking bad numbers from the Doc. 

Offline loowaters

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:05:34 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that, Randy.  I hope it isn't anything too serious and can be managed.  I'm assuming cholesterol.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 10:15:45 PM »
Goose, I think that formula you posted is my Malnati's exactly but switching out the corn oil for butter.  I lowered that hyration in consideration of unsalted butter being 18% water to make for a virtually identical water content to the dough and equal swap of butter fat for corn oil.

One other thing that I did was melt the butter before adding it to the dough.  Did this compromise any flavor?  Should I just let it set out at room temp and blend the creamy butter with the dough.  If I'm going for a cold ferment, should I use cold butter that I've cut into small cubes? 

I guess the experimenting will have to continue but I'll start by not going brain dead and grease the pan with butter and not Crisco and EVOO...man, I still can't believe I did that.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 10:20:52 PM »
If it _is_ cholesterol, a friend had some numbers that weren't responding sufficiently to diet, drugs, etc., and only got them well under control after using phytosterols to block absorption of cholesterol. He was getting what he described as "remarkable" results using:
http://www.endur.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shopping.display&subcatid=6&parentid=1&parentpage=0
before each feeding. Drastic dietary restrictions & drugs weren't doing it, but after adding the phytosterols he claimed he could eat steak & cheese again with impunity.

I've tried it as well, and was getting pretty good HDL/LDL numbers on the last test, despite having what might be described as a "non-optimal" diet!

- Al

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 10:30:57 PM »
Just need to eat less of those things that taste so good. LOL
Maybe we should add a new section on pizza blocker technology, like the morning after pill.

Randy

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 11:33:06 PM »
If it _is_ cholesterol, a friend had some numbers that weren't responding sufficiently to diet, drugs, etc., and only got them well under control after using phytosterols to block absorption of cholesterol.

Rice bran oil has the highest level of phytosterols of any fat or oil, in case anyone was curious.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c2088.html

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Rice bran oil has the highest level of phytosterols of any fat or oil, in case anyone was curious.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c2088.html

Red, Where does one find that at? Health food store, GNC? Thanks for the info.  8)

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 11:50:12 PM »
Honest Foods is where I get mine.  They also have an Amazon storefront.

http://www.honestfoods.com/riceoil.html

- red.november

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 11:58:15 PM »
Honest Foods is where I get mine.  They also have an Amazon storefront.

http://www.honestfoods.com/riceoil.html

- red.november

I know we are getting off topic here but have you used the rice bran oil in your pizza doughs? And thanks for the link.  8)

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 12:03:10 AM »
I have posted about using it in my dough several times.  I continue to use it about half the time, sharing my interest in it with extra virgin olive oil, and to a lesser extent soybean oil.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4358.0.html

- red.november

Offline goosen1

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 12:45:45 AM »
Goose, I think that formula you posted is my Malnati's exactly but switching out the corn oil for butter.  I lowered that hyration in consideration of unsalted butter being 18% water to make for a virtually identical water content to the dough and equal swap of butter fat for corn oil.

Loo,

That's what I did... Swapped the oil for the butter. Let the butter get to room temp then when you are done mixing, let it rest then right into the chiller. Don't use evoo.. Just use regular olive oil in the recipe and in the pan when you cook it. Maybe butter flavored crisco!!!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline goosen1

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 12:49:46 AM »
I have posted about using it in my dough several times.  I continue to use it about half the time, sharing my interest in it with extra virgin olive oil, and to a lesser extent soybean oil.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4358.0.html

- red.november

November,

I like evoo also but in this recipe it does not taste right... It over powers the flavor of the dough. Is there any other oil that can be a substitute for the other oils without changing the flavor too much??

Goose

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »
Goose,

I was not suggesting using extra virgin olive oil or any other oil as a replacement for the oil in this recipe.  Since phytosterols were brought up, I was merely pointing out that rice bran oil has the highest level of phytosterols.  Rice bran oil does in fact have a very neutral flavor though.  So if you're looking for an oil that doesn't overpower, rice bran oil is a good choice.  I certainly understand not wanting to have the fruity flavor of olive oil in the dough all the time.

- red.november

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
This sounds good but I am just going to have to pass having got some shocking bad numbers from the Doc. 

I am waiting on the results of a new test I took yesterday.  Doc was happy I lost over 15 lbs and would like me to lose an other 10 - 15.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »
I keep loosing weight slowly and have been for years now as i cut back how much I eat.  I would guess i eat 1/3 of what I use to eat ten years ago.  But I still have a ways to go and now I need to pay a little more attention to what I eat.
Good luck on your test DKM.
Randy

Offline BTB

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
Last weekend I made my attempt at a Malnati's butter crust, but with a little less butter than some did above just to see how it would taste.  Using King Arthur AP flour, the following is the formulation I used for a 12" deep dish with 1.5% bowl residue:

Flour (100%):  339.6 g  |  11.98 oz | 0.75 lbs
Water (43%):  146.03 g  |  5.15 oz | 0.32 lbs
ADY (.6%):  2.04 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.54 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
Salt (.5%):  1.7 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.3 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
Olive Oil (4%):  13.58 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.02 tsp | 1.01 tbsp
Corn Oil (12%):  40.75 g | 1.44 oz | 0.09 lbs | 9.06 tsp | 3.02 tbsp
Butter/Margarine (9%):  30.56 g | 1.08 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.46 tsp | 2.15 tbsp
Sugar (.6%):  2.04 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.51 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Total (169.7%): 576.3 g | 20.33 oz | 1.27 lbs | TF = 0.126875

Whereas in the past, I often added a little "dab" of softened butter to my pizzas, this time for the 12" I put in about 2 and 1/4 tablespoons of really softened butter while still maintaining a high level of oil (16% oil in total).  I debated whether to melt the butter like Loo did above, but decided to try it this way this time and maybe melt it the next time.  I mixed all the ingredients together by spoon and hand, except for the oil and 1/2 cup of flour (30 to 60 second knead).  I let the dough ball rest or sit for 30 minutes before adding the rest of the flour and oil.  Thereafter I formed the ball, put it in a ziplock bag and into the refrigerator for 24 hours.  Took it out 90 minutes before I planned to bake it, patted or flattened it out in the deep dish pan that was well greased with Crisco (I, too, forgot to grease it with butter instead #%@&!!!), put mozzarella and provolone cheese down, then the sausage and pepperoni, 6 in 1 doctored up sauce, parmesan and readied for baking (see pictures below).

Offline BTB

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 08:16:51 PM »
I baked the pizza on the bottom rack of my oven at 450 degrees F for approximately 27 minutes, turning it 180 degrees midway thru that time.  The pizza turned out really good, crispy and tasty with a nice buttery flavor.  My wife and son said "best yet," but they often say that so I never really know.  But it's a definite keeper when one feels like having a buttery crust.  The remaining pictures that I took are below.