Author Topic: Olives  (Read 3934 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Olives
« on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
I was doing some research today on olives and came across this very helpful translation document that provides some Italian / English terms not often found translated.Many of the culinary related words apply to other aspects of pizza making,not only olives.

http://www.aromadictionary.com/oliveoiltrans-i-e.pdf

David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline csacks

• It takes some big onions.
Re: Olives
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:31:33 AM »
David, what have you learned about olives?  I am not sure that I have ever had a real good one.  I grew up eating the black olives served at Thanksgiving.  Later in life I found that I enjoyed the green pimento stuffed olives that had tasted so bad previously.  Can you steer me toward so really great olives?  I would like to know what good olives taste like.   CraiG

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:04:52 AM »
csacks,

Like you, I came to olives later in life. For a crash course, visit a food market like Whole Foods which has an olive bar and allows free samples. Our local WFM has at least 2 dozen varieties - I always end up eating a few and bringing home a bunch.

Bill/SFNM

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
I am lucky to live in an area rich with ethnic foods; Long Island.  I typically eat lunch at either a Portuguese, Mexican or Turkish restaurant.  One thing they all have in common is they put olives on the table along with the bread. There are innumerable types of olives all far superior to the bland canned ones we are used to getting from the supermarket.

I love to take good oil cured black olives, pit  & coarsely chop them & make a pizza with goat cheese, mozz, the olives & some artichoke hearts, drizzle a little EVOO & add some fresh thyme or rosemary. 

The green ones with pimentos are made for martinis!
Trosenberg

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »
It's really a case of personal taste as to what is good or bad.Like Bill I started late in life eating olives and do as he suggested by always trying and comparing different varieties.I know that tastes change over the years,and I always revisit things I have previously had a dislike for (Cannoli filling,Avocados ) I still dislike green olives and can't believe that the things that Dominoes etc put on their pizzas are grown on trees! 99% of the processed ,sliced,pitted things put on pizza are a disgrace IMO.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline shango

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:19:33 PM »
On a vacation to Barcelona, I was presented with a jar of Gordal olives by the mother of a friend..They were perfectly round, green and quite meaty.  Delicious.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline shango

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 03:28:48 PM »
The green ones with pimentos are made for martinis!
Or beer!  DH likes Miller poured over 3 green "martini" olives; when he finishes the beer, he eats the beer-soaked olives!

Also want to comment that when thinking of buying high quality olives, go for the ones with the pits still in.  You might be paying a little more for the weight of the pit, but generally, the pitted ones are not as good.  The theory is that if the olive is good enough, growers don't want the olives damaged by pitting.  In my deli, we sold both pitted and unpitted kalamatas.  The pitted ones were softer... a little mushy...and didn't taste nearly as good, whereas the intact fruit was firm and flavorful.  I tried to explain the difference to customers, but since the pitted ones were actually cheaper per pound even before the weight of the pit is considered, it was a tough sell.  The pitted ones were cheaper because they were inferior olives, but the customers just saw $$ and the convenience of not having to pit them.  I even offered samples so they could taste the difference... a few of them even accused me of trying to improve my bottom line at their expense... <sigh>

At the store where I now normally shop, they remodeled and added an olive bar... $8.99/pound.  When I did the comparison, the jarred "quality" olives on the shelf are actually more per pound, so guess where I shop!  The other thing I like about the olive bar is that you can buy many kinds (only one or two olives each, if you want) so that you can find what you really like without having to invest in a whole jar.

We have a VERY upscale Central Market in Mill Creek, WA, which has not only an olive bar, but an antipasto bar... they have such things as caper berries (the mature fruit instead of the bud) and other unusual items which I have come to love!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
they have such things as caper berries (the mature fruit instead of the bud) and other unusual items which I have come to love!

I've noticed these being used more and more on my travels in Europe as a garnish / salad addition,seemingly the latest trendy discovery that will follow in the footsteps of other overused items.

Offline givearats

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
The Whole foods Market has some good info if you are just starting into olives.

wholefoodsmarket.com/products/specialty/olives.html

givearats

Offline thomasz

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
Oh, i haven't try pizza with olive topping. ;). So nice.