Author Topic: Deven's technique  (Read 1156 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Deven's technique
« on: September 21, 2004, 07:22:09 PM »
Hi guys,  Hi Deven,

I'm wondering about this image:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/images/dkm/doughcloseup_lg.jpg

The dough I see here is amazing in terms of how it is sticking up against the side of the pizza dish, and that the dough shows how you pressed the dough with your fingers.  - It almost looks like a pie dough would look when you make a pie shell.

Last night when I made my pizza I couldn't even get the dough to stay at the sides of the dish, it kept pulling away and wanting to contract , I am pretty sure we are not supposed to put dough into the fridge to "relax" it like you would when you are making a real pie shell ( pastry) so what is your secret ?

Anyway would love to know, the dough looks great ! and how it just stays like that amazes me.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Deven's technique
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
It doesn't have to be in the fridge, but the dough should be allowed to relax.  This dough is also very soft and has quite a bit of oil.

I take mine out of the fridge at least 2 hours before I make it.  and leave in in the bowl.  When I go to make it I gently turn it out and start patting it out right away.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »
When I followed the scaled-down version of DKM's deep-dish dough recipe, the dough didn't show the finger depressions either.  I didn't let the dough set for 2 hours, however.  There was slight resistance to sticking to the side of the pan, but I just let the dough rest for a few minutes and resumed pressing the dough against the side of the pan.  I have read that the shrinking problem can be minimized by using shortening in the pan instead of oil.  I stuck with the oil because I wanted to follow DKM's recipe as closely as possible.  

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 09:37:27 PM »
I've never had the problem of it shrinking back unless I "handled" the dough a bit (cut it and form smaller balls or the like) and I have always used oil in the pan.

DKM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 09:37:51 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards