Author Topic: old forge style pizza  (Read 1885 times)

Offline titilaurie

old forge style pizza
« on: June 29, 2007, 11:56:32 PM »
OLD FORGE PIZZA - Although my experience is limited, and I by no means am an expert, the two times I've been  to Italy  and eaten pizza, and pizza is my favorite passion, Old Forge style is the only thing that comes close.  In fact, I think it is better than what I was served in Italy, because of the generous toppings. Their pizza tended to be dry in most places, more like a foccocia.      I have only spent limited time in Rome and in Florence,with a brief jaunt through the Tuscanny region,  but the pizza  is Old Forge Style.  My experience of the pizza there was not at all like the "neopolitan round style" that is the standard to which most people judge pizza. lf you get the oportunity to try this style of pizza....do it!  It is worth it.  You may become a convert.  It is worth the hour + drive for me and my family, and I've met people in my international travels who, when they found out that I grew up near this town,  enthusiastically proclaimed "Old Forge Pizza" is the best pizza in the world. Sorry that I can't agree with the New York enthusiasts who love the round pie.  I like the round pie too, but you should taste the real thing! 

Offline othafa9

Re: old forge style pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 02:45:20 AM »
How can this town in Pennsylvania call itself "the pizza capital of the world"?  I must say I'm alittle disturbed by that......  I am a believer that all styles of pizza have their place, and if a person is raised eating one type, generally speaking they will believe that one to be the best.  Maybe they should change their name to the "Old Forge Style Pizza capital of the world" people might take it alittle more seriously.

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:09:58 AM »
never doubt the power of the Pennsylvania dutch.   

grove.

Offline buca

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:00:26 PM »
Old Forge Style is named after the town in North Eastern Pa. called Old Forge, that's all.  It has never claimed to be the pizza capital of the world either.  Just named after the style of the pizza, which is almost like a Sicilian pie but not a thick and "breadie".  Its cooked only in electric ovens on a lower temp.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »
Absolutely they claim to be Pizza Capital of the World.  From the Old Forge website:

"After many years of dedicated effort, the town has been very successful in transitioning into a highly respected Mecca for Italian Cuisine and has attained the distinction of being regarded as--
THE PIZZA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD."

We've had a long discussion of Old Forge pizza here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1082.0.html

I still maintain that any style of pizza that uses American cheese automatically forfeits any claim to being regarded as "the best".

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:37:37 PM »
And here I thought this was going to be about Old Forge New York, Snowmobile capitol of the East Coast. Funny I lived in PA for all but the first year of my 44 and never heard of Old Forge PA but used to snowmobile in Old Forge NY.  :-D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

pizzapan