Author Topic: Gia Russa San Marzano  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Gregor111

Gia Russa San Marzano
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:40:28 PM »
It turns out the brand of San Marzano tomatoes I purchased two weeks ago are Gia Russa.  They have all the appropriate acronyms as far as authenticity goes.  THe only problem I can see is that the can's I purchased less than 24 hours ago say 2005 crop.  The store I buy them from probably doesn't sell very many.  Then again, maybe these are aged tomatoes?

Anyone know how Gia Russa stack up to the competition?  OUt of the can the first ones I bought two weeks ago were not impressive. They were bitter and acidic.  I added a bit of baking soda and some sugar and by the time I was done, the sauce was very good.  Much better than the ordinary $.99 can's can make.  The thing is these Gia Russa's sell for $6.79 per can.  I want to try the SanMarzano imports La Bella variety as even with shipping they are quite a bit cheaper.  The only other brand I can get are Cento.  I'll buy one of those today and do a comparison.

If there is a consensus as to how Gia Russa stacks up I'd love to hear it.

Greg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:23:07 PM by Gregor111 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Gia Russa San Marzano
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »
That sounds about right.  I was not a huge fan of the gia russa, but the cento and La bella (from san marzano imports) were much better.

Offline Gregor111

Re: Gia Russa San Marzano
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:22:33 PM »
I just had my first meal made with tomato sauce from two cans of Cento and one can of Gia Russa.  Out of the can the Cento were quite a bit better than the Gia Russa and accordingly I had high hopes.   I tried to make it the same as the last batch for testing purposes.  The result?  Inferior sauce to what I made last time. 

I am actually pretty bent out of shape about this and can't explain how the sauce tastes so different when I used the same recipe but with what I though were superior San Marzano tomatoes.  The Gia Russa, after cooked, had a very rich pastey tomato taste and texture whereas tonights sample was nothing better than what I get out of lesser priced tomatoes.

I'll chance two cases of La Bella but I hope I am not wasting money.  Thanks for the feedback.

Greg

pizzapan