Author Topic: Pizza dough technique?  (Read 3814 times)

Dale B

Pizza dough technique?
« on: September 22, 2004, 03:19:58 PM »
I've been messing around with my bread maker and making good pizza dough for a while now.. and i can never seem to get it right.  it always turns out tasting like alcohol..(too much yeast?)  and the dough never stretches well enough.. its always really springy and teas easily.  How do i add some elasticity?  I used to work at papa johns and the dough was so nice and easy to slap out, and rarely ever ripped.. is there something i'm missing from the recipe?  or is it just the way i make it?  so i was wondering if you guys could share your recipes and techniques with me.  something to make my dough easy to slap out and not so bready?  also, what do you all cook your pizza on?  and how hot do you heat the oven? and what rack? and how long?  geez i have so many questions so any answers would be greatly appreciated.  i'm such an amateur.  thanks!

Dale B

Re:Pizza dough technique?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:28:08 AM »
oh, i forgot to give the recipe i've been using:
Dough “Pizza Hut style”

1 1/3 c - Water (120 degrees, 44%)
2 tsp - Sugar
1 ¼ tsp - Salt
2 T - Olive Oil
2 c - All-purpose flour
1 c - Bread Flour (Gold Medal)
1 tsp - Baking Powder
¼ tsp - Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp - Instant Dry Yeast (brand?)
(can add 1/2 tsp basil or oregano)
Omitted: ¼ tsp Onion Powder, 2 T Cornmeal

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 01:30:18 AM »
oh, i forgot to give the recipe i've been using:
Dough “Pizza Hut style”

1 1/3 c - Water (120 degrees, 44%)
2 tsp - Sugar
1 ¼ tsp - Salt
2 T - Olive Oil
2 c - All-purpose flour
1 c - Bread Flour (Gold Medal)
1 tsp - Baking Powder
¼ tsp - Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp - Instant Dry Yeast (brand?)
(can add 1/2 tsp basil or oregano)
Omitted: ¼ tsp Onion Powder, 2 T Cornmeal

I think that your water is too hot. . .it should be around 40F - 55F (you can add some ice).  If 40F, refrigerate overnight, if 55F, leave covered in room temperature 2-3 hours before using.  

What's the garlic powder  and onion powder for (for that matter, the basil and oregano)?  Flavor?  They may actually not help your dough, . . . I'd leave them out.

I'd also use soya oil instead of the olive oil.

How do you mix it?  In what order?  Make sure that the yeast always goes in before the last mix.

Dale B

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:06:24 AM »
i use a bread machine to do the mixing.. it's a 1 hour cycle and i put the ingredients in, in the order they're listed.  and yes, the powder and oregano and what not are in there for flavor i suppose.  i got this recipe somewhere online.. claims to be the pizza hut dough recipe.  it always come out more like bread and less like pizza crust.  does gluten help anything? what recipe do you use?

thanks a lot.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 05:46:47 AM »
i use a bread machine to do the mixing.. it's a 1 hour cycle and i put the ingredients in, in the order they're listed.  and yes, the powder and oregano and what not are in there for flavor i suppose.  i got this recipe somewhere online.. claims to be the pizza hut dough recipe.  it always come out more like bread and less like pizza crust.  does gluten help anything? what recipe do you use?

thanks a lot.

You should leave them out.  You don't really need the added flavoring in the dough.  In fact, they may actually hinder your dough from becoming what it should.  Add the flavoring to the sauce or on top of the pizza later.

I'd also stick with just one kind of flour - preferably the all purpose one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 05:48:11 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 10:43:06 AM »
Dale B what style of pizza are you trying to make?  Pappa Jhons? Pizza Hut pan?  That would help us help you.

Randy

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 11:25:02 AM »
Dale B what style of pizza are you trying to make?  Pappa Jhons? Pizza Hut pan?  That would help us help you.

Randy

I think he's trying to use a Pizza Hut-style dough to make a Papa John's type pizza.

Dale B

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
well i'm actually not going for any style in particular... i found the pizza hut recipe and just started making that thinking i couldn't go wrong.. i like their crust.  but i just want it to cook like pizza dough and not bread.  have a crunchy on outside soft on inside crust.  anyone like to share their method of their favorite pizza?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 08:11:22 PM »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 09:05:21 AM »
Also check the threads in this forum about New York Pizza.  There are many good recipes and information.

Also the main page has a recipe for a Pizza Hutt style pan pizza which is very good.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards