Author Topic: Cento Tomatoes  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
Cento Tomatoes
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I was at my local Publix today looking for some sauce tomatoes and noticed that these Centos, located in the organic section of the store, claimed to be from San Marzano.  There were no certification stamps on the label.

Has anybody tried these?  Does anyone know if these really are from San Marzano?  Their other products, located in the regular canned vegetable aisle don't claim to be from San Marzano.

Anyone know?

Here's a pic...

John

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: Cento Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I was at my local Publix today looking for some sauce tomatoes and noticed that these Centos, located in the organic section of the store, claimed to be from San Marzano.  There were no certification stamps on the label.

Has anybody tried these?  Does anyone know if these really are from San Marzano?  Their other products, located in the regular canned vegetable aisle don't claim to be from San Marzano.

Anyone know?

Here's a pic...

John

I think the ones folks have talked about are this one. Note the "stamps" in the upper left corner. Just because tomatoes come from San Marzano doesn't meant the tomato variety is San Marzano. These aren't organic. I found them at Market Basket in Portsmouth, NH last week.

- Al
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:57:52 PM by pizzoid »

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »
Hey, Parttimepizzaiolo,

I have tried those and they taste good. Only knock i have on them is i have used 4 cans now and everyone of them has had bizarre hard brown stem chunks in them and basil leaves with the flower buds attached, so that is kind of gross to me. The flavor is fine though. I do like their Italian Tomato product better.

If you go through the contents first before dumping into the pot, you'd be fine. I usually crush them a bit more by hand and this is how i found these "floaters"

Christopher

Offline sabinoapizza

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Yes those are the tomatoes by Cento that everyone has written about.I have used both the tomatoes labled from San Marzano and from Italy.I really like the flavor they have a robust flavor, a little bit of sweetness and are big plump tomatoes.The DOP Cento's have not been highly reccomended.The taste of tomatoes is subjective everyone has different taste's I think their are a lot of quality tasting canned tomatoes that one can purchase.
Sabino
Sabino

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
I'll try the organic non-D.O.P. Centos and report back if I liked them or not.  As you point out, the enjoyment of any tomato is highly subjective.  I can't find the D.O.P. Centos anywhere in the Orlando, FL area.  Neither Whole Foods or Fresh Market carry them.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've had decent success with using Mario Batali's spaghetti sauce as a starter.  His sauces use fresh imported San Marzano tomatoes.  It's a bit pricey but tastes very good.

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »

I have tried those and they taste good. Only knock i have on them is i have used 4 cans now and everyone of them has had bizarre hard brown stem chunks in them and basil leaves with the flower buds attached, so that is kind of gross to me. The flavor is fine though. I do like their Italian Tomato product better.

Thanks for the heads up.  Now I know what to look for when I open the can...

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »
Yes those are the tomatoes by Cento that everyone has written about.I have used both the tomatoes labled from San Marzano and from Italy.I really like the flavor they have a robust flavor, a little bit of sweetness and are big plump tomatoes.The DOP Cento's have not been highly reccomended.The taste of tomatoes is subjective everyone has different taste's I think their are a lot of quality tasting canned tomatoes that one can purchase.
Sabino

no those are not the tomatoes everyone has written about.  The ones in question have an ROA stamp/code on the top of the can.  BTW pizzoid,  I am from southern NH.  M.B.  carries a brand called joseph/gussepie russo.  they are 2 bucks max, sometimes 2 for 3 for the 35 oz can,   they are the same as the centos.  VERY good.  -marc

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
BTW pizzoid,  I am from southern NH.  M.B.  carries a brand called joseph/gussepie russo.  they are 2 bucks max, sometimes 2 for 3 for the 35 oz can,   they are the same as the centos.  VERY good.  -marc

I'll give them a try. There are M.B.'s closer to me than NH. I'll see if the ones in Taunton or Raynham MA carry them.

Thanks, Al

pizzapan