Author Topic: Best pizza in downtown Chicago?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline evilal

• Mmmm... pizza
Best pizza in downtown Chicago?
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
Hi all,

I'll be in Chicago for a few days at the end of November, and I need pizza recommendations for the Loop/North Shore area!

It sounds like Spacca Napoli is the place to go if I had a bi more time, but I might not make it out of downtown due to schedules etc. Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

Alex

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Best pizza in downtown Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
Coal Fire on Grand is getting great reviews. Not classic Chicago-style.

Coal Fire
1321 W. Grand Ave.
312-226-2625
Open 5pm-11 everyday but Monday.

Offline evilal

• Mmmm... pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:49:23 AM »
Thanks, sounds like just what I'm looking for!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Just had a quick look at this on the LTH board Bill.It seems that they are using a wood / coal combo (as Luzzo ) in a Valoriana oven.It's the first time i've seen a dome oven  used in a place that represents itself as a coal fired place.Mind you I haven't delved too much into this as coal fired is not my thing?
Every place here on the east coast that iv'e been to has had a somewhat large rectangular furnace as an oven and I think the coals have always been in a side chamber? Luzzo does add a little wood  in the cooking area from what i've seen,seperate from the coals?
Any thoughts?
David

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 11:43:12 PM »
 Hey, Evilal
 Most of the pizza in the loop is Deepdish. If that is what you were after check out Pizanos at 75E. Madion
  If you were interested in Spacca napoli you could take the El-brownline/Kimble and get off at Montrose.. Takes about 30minutes from downtown. The Buffalina is 15$.. As for Coal fire on Grand ave. i have never been there. There is another coal oven place on GRAND ave. Damatos bakery that makes a square pie in a coal oven. The people that grew up in the neighborhood love it. I though it was more of a foccachia and a little too greasy, although the coal flavor on topping is very apparent . It closes in the late afternoon though if you decied to go.   Chiguy