Author Topic: My first NY style attempt...total failure  (Read 1498 times)

Offline 5by5

My first NY style attempt...total failure
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »
Perhaps total failure is a bit harsh, but it was definitely not NY style. 

I used Pete's NY style (AP version) of Randy's all American recipe.  Dough was left to rise in the fridge for 2 days.  Seems to have about doubled in size.

The dough was reasonably elastic but it came out thick, rather than thin like a new yorker.  I tried to thin the pie out but I was afraid to work it too much in case I removed the air or ended up kneading it.  The pie did come out nice and airy.  It was a little too hard and not chewy though. 

What should I change for my second attempt?

See pics below.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My first NY style attempt...total failure
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:49:47 AM »
Tony,

As I noted at the thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1707.0.html) in which I conducted several experiments based on Randy’s American style pizza, I was trying to make a pizza that was essentially a cross between the NY style and Randy’s American style pizza—with the crust thickness characteristic of a NY style and the crust characteristics and flavors of an American style. I was not trying to make a “pure” NY style. Normally, when I make a NY style, I use either high-gluten flour, such as the King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour (All Trumps can also be used), or a good bread flour, such as the King Arthur bread flour. I rarely use all-purpose flour for the NY style mainly because the finished crust will be softer and less chewy than when the other flours are used, and the crust color will be lighter. If I want to make a NY style based on all-purpose flour, I supplement the flour with vital wheat gluten, to get increased chewiness and crust color, and with dried dairy whey, for additional crust color. As I noted at the abovereferenced thread, the dough formulation you used could be modified by substituting high-gluten flour or bread flour for the all-purpose flour or by supplementing the all-purpose flour with vital wheat gluten, both of which would result in a chewier crust. But, even if you did that, you still would not end up with a NY style because the dough formulation is not a NY style dough formulation.

If you are interested in a dough formulation for a NY style that uses all-purpose flour, the best I could come up with is the dough formulation described at Reply 205 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg15669.html#msg15669. You should also look at Reply 204, which was the predicate for what I discussed in Reply 205. If you prefer a NY style pizza that uses either high-gluten flour, which is what many if not most professional pizza operators use, especially in places like New York City, then there are many other dough formulations on this forum that you might want to consider. Likewise if you prefer to use bread flour. You should also be able to adjust the crust thickness to any value you prefer. NY style crusts can have thickness factors that range from about 0.07 to 0.105. The NY “elite” styles (e.g., Patsy’s, Totonno’s, etc.) are at the lower end of that range. What you have in mind may be the elite NY style.

Peter

Offline 5by5

Re: My first NY style attempt...total failure
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02:24 AM »
LOL, well that sort of makes me feel better.  On one hand I guess my dough turned out better than I thought.  On the other hand my reading comprehension in this case was horrible.   ???

I only used AP flour because that's what I had on hand.  Today I noticed that my grocery store now carries KA flour!  The 3 types were: bread flour, AP and traditional whole wheat.  So I can now use the KA bread flour.

I'll search for a good bread flour recipe and try again this week.