Author Topic: Almost ready to cook, do I have this right?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline 5by5

Almost ready to cook, do I have this right?
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »
I finally made my first dough yesterday.  I'm trying the "Pete's NY style version of Randy's American" recipe.  I used the AP flour version.  The pics below are of the dough right after I finished with and then after 24 hours in the fridge.  I'm going to leave in the fridge for another 24 hours and then try to cook it.

Do I have the following preparation and cooking steps down correctly?

Let dough get to room temp.
DO NOT knead the dough.
Sprinkle peel with corn starch.
Shape dough into ball and use roller to spread onto peel.
Lightly baste with olive oil and add toppings.
Preheat oven and pizza stone at 500.
Cook pizza on lower rack until done.

Thanks!

Tony

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Almost ready to cook, do I have this right?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »
DO NOT knead the dough.
Sprinkle peel with corn starch.
Shape dough into ball and use roller to spread onto peel.
Lightly baste with olive oil and add toppings.
Preheat oven and pizza stone at 500.
Cook pizza on lower rack until done.

Your dough ball looks like it dried out a lot... was it left uncovered for a while?

I would say preheat oven comes first... if you are using a stone especially you need to let that heat up for at least 30-45 minutes.
Also I believe it is corn meal not corn starch.  You can use just flour as well. 
"Not sure what you mean by shape dough into ball and use roller to spread onto peel".  I don't like the sounds of that.  :-)  Shape the dough by hand and preferable not to use a roller.

"You cook it.... Until it's DONE!"

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:22:26 PM »

Tony,

You do not want to let the dough get to room temperature, since that might be exceedingly high. What you want to do is bring the dough out to room temperature. Depending on your kitchen temperature, you should need about an hour or two at most at room temperature to get the dough to the point where it can be worked.

I agree with everything that abatardi has said by way of reply to your original questions. You don't want to use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. That will force the gases out of the dough and produce a dense crust.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:41:34 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline 5by5

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Your dough ball looks like it dried out a lot... was it left uncovered for a while?

I would say preheat oven comes first... if you are using a stone especially you need to let that heat up for at least 30-45 minutes.
Also I believe it is corn meal not corn starch.  You can use just flour as well. 
"Not sure what you mean by shape dough into ball and use roller to spread onto peel".  I don't like the sounds of that.  :-)  Shape the dough by hand and preferable not to use a roller.

"You cook it.... Until it's DONE!"

- aba

Thank you both for your replies.

The dough ball was in a sealed tupperware container.  I gave it a light coating of olive oil before I sealed it.

I let you know how it turns out tomorrow!

Tony