As promised long ago, here is the formulation I used for my Giordano's as pictured above (a few posts prior to this one)
. It is a cross between VCB's deep dish recipe, Loowaters' Giordano's, & Elevenbravo's Giordano's.
-For one 9" stuffed pizza:
Water (cool, not warm) (50%):
Corn Oil (17%):
Single Inner Ball (bottom crust):
Single Outer Ball (top crust):
|190 g | 6.71 oz | 0.42 lbs|
95 g | 3.36 oz | 0.21 lbs
2.5 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.82 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
4 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.68 tsp | 0.23 tbsp
32 g | 1.14 oz | 0.07 lbs | 7.19 tsp | 2.4 tbsp
324 g | 11.43 oz | 0.71 lbs | TF = N/A
216 g | 7.62 oz | 0.48 lbs
108 g | 3.81 oz | 0.24 lbs
- Stir together ingredients to combine and knead slowly for 90 seconds, max.
- Put in fridge for 3-5 day cold ferment. Punch down as needed (e.g., once after 24 hrs)
- Put pizza stone on bottom rack and preheat to 450o
for one hour.
- Prep the filling, sauce, etc.
DAY OF BAKING
- Take dough out of fridge 2-3 hrs before using.
- If dough hasn't been divided already, divide into two parts: (A) two-thirds of weight and (B) one-third of weight. The heavier ball will be the bottom crust, and the lighter, the top.
- 16 oz bag of fresh, washed spinach leaves - salt and then wilt in hot pan and then drain/squeeze dry
- thinly sliced onion and garlic - salt and then saute briefly salt in hot pan to release some liquid
- 8 oz sliced mozz
- 4 oz shredded cheese blend
- Crushed tomatoes, strained in mesh strainer
- Gently stir in basil
- Grease bottom, not sides, of pan with shortening
- Roll out bigger dough ball and then press into pan and all the way up the sides.
- Gently press mozz slices into dough and up sides. Overlap slices.
- Put wilted spinach and onions and garlic on top of cheese. Spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle in the shredded cheese.
- Roll out the small dough ball and put on top of pizza. Pinch top and side edges together to seal.
- Poke a few holes or cut a few slits in top skin to vent the pizza.
- Do not put on the sauce at this time. It will come later.
- Put the unsauced pizza into the oven, onto the stone, for 20 minutes.
- Gently heat sauce in a small saucepan so that it is just about at a simmer, but do not actually simmer it.
- Pull pizza from oven and get ready to work quickly as you: (A) ladle on the hot sauce and spread it around and (B) sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Put pizza back in oven, turn down oven to 400o
, and bake for another 18-22 minutes until done
- Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.