Author Topic: 100% whole grain pizza barrier shattered!!!!  (Read 72484 times)

Offline thatonegirl

Re: 100% whole grain pizza barrier shattered!!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »
Hey all,

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and it's so nice to know that there is a small army of whole grainers out there in pizza land  :D
I actually made a ww pizza this week, but I used Randy's Papa John's recipe with the KA white wheat flour since I was lacking a ww recipe. I made the dough in the morning and let it ferment at room temp for the day then made it that night. Topped the pie with chicken mixed into the sauce of crushed tomatoes and herbs and garlic, then mozzarella, tomatoes and my favorite...marinated artichoke hearts! It baked quite well, and I'm wishing that I had taken a pic of it to post now (sorry), but the flavor of the dough was disappointing. It did have a slight bitter taste even though the flour was not old. It just had a (for lack of a better description) a heavily saturated wheat flavor.
I read that a couple of you were trying out recipes with KA white wheat flour. Have any of you had any luck, and if so, would you mind posting your recipe?

Thanks!

Offline jagercola

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »
I had an extra dough ball from Villa's recipe, and I wanted to see how far I could push a 100% WW dough in terms of versatility, so I used it to make sticky buns.  I was up against typical sweet doughs or Brioche doughs that I've done before in KA WWW.  I was actually pretty impressed.  :D The heartiness of the WW contrasted nicely with the "goo".  I think the milk from Villa's recipe helped as well.  The dough didn't need any additional sweetness outside of the 2% honey by flour weight.  Definitely a keeper.     

thatonegirl:  Don't quote me, but I think I was having success with KA WWW around 70% hydration with just water.  That KA flour is a whole grain miracle for cookies, cakes, and just about everything else.  The actual flour's taste isn't masked well in say, a pizza crust, so that is why I'm switching back to regular whole wheat for flavor.  If I could find that stuff in 50lb bags, it jump for joy.  The 5lbs run like $4.75 now.  I may try a KA WWW and GM WW blend someday. 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:49:30 PM by jagercola »

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2008, 05:15:57 AM »
thatonegirl.....I tried making pizza with KA WWW flour and KA regular WW flour. The WWW didn't seem to have enough gluten in it to make a good pizza crust. The regular KA WW on the other hand came out nice and light. I normally use Gold Medal WW flour simply because it's half the price of KA. The KA flour was better but it isn't worth $5 a bag.

Here's a tip you may want to try to counteract the grassy and sometimes bitter taste of whole wheat. Use frozen orange/pineapple juice concentrate instead of sugar. This creates an acidic environment that really helps out the fermentation process and adds vitamin C (ascorbic acid) which helps with gluten development. Just double the amount of sweetener called for in the recipe but sub in the juice concentrate instead. Attached is a WW pizza made with orange pineapple juice concentrate and a small amount of starter.

OJ, it's not just for breakfast anymore.....Villa Roma
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:48:12 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline thatonegirl

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »
Thanks Villa Roma!

So what kind of a starter do you use?

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
Thanks Villa Roma!

So what kind of a starter do you use?

I make a home grown starter using 125 grams of Harvest King flour plus 100 grams of orange pineapple juice. Sprinkle a very small pinch of IDY and mix it together. Let it sit out at room temperature and once it starts getting active treat it like any other starter.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:53:46 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
Here is a pizza from this weeks batch. I used the same recipe as the one above.

Villa Roma

Offline bay_wolf

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2008, 01:33:11 PM »
Just starting to dive into the whole grain pizzas since all my other food is whole grain. So, I was wondering for your bench flour do you use whole wheat or white?

PS: Depending on the outcome of my pizza tonight I'll probably post some pictures.

Regards,
Bay_wolf.

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 12:05:24 AM »
Just starting to dive into the whole grain pizzas since all my other food is whole grain. So, I was wondering for your bench flour do you use whole wheat or white?

PS: Depending on the outcome of my pizza tonight I'll probably post some pictures.

Regards,
Bay_wolf.

bay_wolf....I use regular AP flour on the bench although a finely ground WW flour would work equally as well.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »
Here is the result of this weeks pizza bake. This is 93% whole grain as I used a little starter in the mix.

Villa Roma

Offline alexvpickering

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2008, 01:07:12 PM »
Hey Villa, thank you for the 100% whole grain pizza recipe, I have been having great success with it(and plan to have more success as I just ordered a digital scale online). I have some sourdough starter in my fridge and would love to use it for this recipe - how much sourdough do you add in?

Thanks

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2008, 01:23:02 PM »
VR

Thanks for the recipe, and for your continued innovations!  My first batch of four 13" pies (Giusto's WW/Goldrush SD, below) turned out pretty good. Very hearty, kinda chewy. I think a full flavored Italian sausage and some Shitakes might pair well with this crust. Come to think of it (your) pineapple/ham/olive std. sounds good too.

Got a second batch working now (overnight rise with a 8hr fridge retard). Aiming for a lighter texture. Might have to pony up for some Ischia, see what I'm missing.

Best regards,

Vic :pizza:
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 01:10:01 AM »
Hey Villa, thank you for the 100% whole grain pizza recipe, I have been having great success with it(and plan to have more success as I just ordered a digital scale online). I have some sourdough starter in my fridge and would love to use it for this recipe - how much sourdough do you add in?

Thanks

The last batch I used 800 grams of whole wheat flour. I added 80 grams of starter which I keep at a hydration level of about 70%.

Villa Roma

Offline alexvpickering

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the response, so by 70% hydration does that mean 70% be weight of water to flour is what it is at? (sorry I am kind of new to this thing)

Also does everything else remain the same - except obviously no yeast?

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2008, 04:04:04 AM »
Thanks for the response, so by 70% hydration does that mean 70% be weight of water to flour is what it is at? (sorry I am kind of new to this thing)

Also does everything else remain the same - except obviously no yeast?

That's right, so to 100 grams of flour add 70 grams of water. I also still use 1/8 tsp of yeast.

Villa Roma

Offline alexvpickering

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »
awesome thank you,

I think that my flour must act quite a bit differently maybe as its a different brand of whole wheat (no name). What is the process you go about to make the test batches? Do you just make really small batches with all the normal ingrediants scaled down and do the overnight thing still and all that? I don't have any of the really small measuring spoons for the yeast, will it make a big difference if I eyeball it? Thanks again!

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »
awesome thank you,

I think that my flour must act quite a bit differently maybe as its a different brand of whole wheat (no name). What is the process you go about to make the test batches? Do you just make really small batches with all the normal ingrediants scaled down and do the overnight thing still and all that? I don't have any of the really small measuring spoons for the yeast, will it make a big difference if I eyeball it? Thanks again!

The method  used to make the test batches was to use 50 grams of flour and mix it with the amount of water plus a small pinch of yeast. So for 90% hydration I used 50 grams of WW flour, 45 grams of water and the small pinch of yeast. Let it be and adjust the hydration level as needed.

You should get a decent scale if you don't have one already. You can pick up the mini measuring spoons on Ebay or find them locally for around $5.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:12:26 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
Here is this weeks batch of pizza. I used a whole wheat starter so these pizzas are 100% whole grain as opposed to using a small amount of white flour starter as I have done in the past.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »
Here's two pizza from this weeks whole grain batch.

Villa Roma

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »
For this batch I used 100% GM stone ground WW flour and lowered the bake temp to 650 degrees for 4 minutes.

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:03:37 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »
Somebody stop me!

Hot off the grill with Villa Roma  :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:46:44 PM by Villa Roma »