Author Topic: first attempt with the lehmann dough calculator, tonight  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Boston BBQ-za

first attempt with the lehmann dough calculator, tonight
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
Tonight I'm going to take a chance at making a pie using the Lehmann calculator. I've included the parameters below and have a few basic questions. Thanks again for all the helpful advice:
Flour (100%):
Water (63%):
ADY (.5%):
Salt (2%):
Oil (1%):
Sugar (1%):
Total (167.5%):
210.56 g  |  7.43 oz | 0.46 lbs
132.66 g  |  4.68 oz | 0.29 lbs
1.05 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.28 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
4.21 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.88 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
2.11 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.47 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
2.11 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.53 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
352.69 g | 12.44 oz | 0.78 lbs | TF = 0.11

1.  Is it generally a good idea to sift your flour or is it a waste of time?  I would think that sifting could potentially accelerate the process of hydrating the dough, but hey, what do I know?  I will be weighing out my ingredients
2.  I've read that the different protein flours will absorb water differently.  If I'm using KA bread flour in place of high gluten flour, will I need to adjust the amount of water added or should I just add it all at once and add more flour and water as needed?
3.  I was going to rehydrate my ADY in a small amount of water (approx 105deg).  What temp water would be best to use for the remainder of my water?  (I plan to knead the dough, coat with oil, then either stick in a metal bowl covered in plastic wrap, or in a plastic bag.)
4.  I this is a complicated question with a long answer, but was looking for a general rule of thumb. In terms of the amount of yeast to use, does the following statement hold true. Your fermentation time is inversely proportional to the amount of yeast you use.  For example, If you are doing a shorter cold fermentation time ex, 24 hr fermentation, you can use more yeast (within the .25-.75% spec).  However, if you are doing a long cold fermentation, you can get away with using less yeast.. 
5. Of course, feel free to pass on any other comments.  I'm reading many of the associated links but still have a ways to go, so apologies as I know these questions are asked elsewhere!

Offline Garlic head

• I need Garlic to survive
    • WKevin.com
Re: first attempt with the lehmann dough calculator, tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
Boston BBQ-za

1. I sift my flour. I don't believe it's a waste of time nor do I know if it benefits the dough but I do it anyway. I think it helps some though.

2. I use the same amount of water whether I'm using High gluten or bread flour.

3. The temperature of your remaining water depends on how long wish to ferment your dough. If you're going to use it within 3 days, room temperature water should be fine. If you plan on fermenting longer, I find that using water from the fridge is the way to go.

4. Your statement seems reasonable to me. When I make an "emergency" dough, that is, one that is to be used within 24 hours, I go with .5% yeast by weight of flour rather than my .25% for my regular dough. I also use warmer water. You seem to be on the right track for sure. I'm sure others will chime in as well. Good luck.

Kevin

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: first attempt with the lehmann dough calculator, tonight
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 03:56:49 PM »
Boston BBQ-za.

I agree with what Kevin has said. I have found that I can squeeze in about 2-4% more water into a dough, with improved hydration of the flour, when I sift the flour. I also tend to use cooler water for the part of the formula water that is not used to rehydrate ADY.

I often direct new members to this thread on some of the basics of the Lehmann dough recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html. The principles discussed there can be used elsewhere as well.

Peter